• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Printed spur gears 3d

Chris_205

Morning all. So has anyone had any experience with, as the the thread title states, 3d printed spur gears?

Reason I ask is that a recent investment I made I've found the spur gears to be stripped, (which was due to an accident that the seller hadn't disclosed on the ebay listing description) and I'm seriously struggling to find any replacement parts. 

Any feedback regarding any 3d spur gear printing experiments/experienced would be much appreciated 👍 

Morning all. So has anyone had any experience with, as the the thread title states, 3d printed spur gears?

Reason I ask is that a recent investment I made I've found the spur gears to be stripped, (which was due to an accident that the seller hadn't disclosed on the ebay listing description) and I'm seriously struggling to find any replacement parts. 

Any feedback regarding any 3d spur gear printing experiments/experienced would be much appreciated [emoji106] 
I know this isn't helpful in regards to the 3d printing topic of the title but what is the model as someone may know of other brands compatible parts maybe?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Relativenewbyseb said:

I know this isn't helpful in regards to the 3d printing topic of the title but what is the model as someone may know of other brands compatible parts maybe?

Hi and good point well put! 

Right the model/vehicle in question is a Kyosho Giga Crusher D/F nitro 

11 minutes ago, Relativenewbyseb said:

Sadly this is where I can provide no more input emoji28.pngemoji28.png but emoji1696.pngsomeone with knowledge will be along soon

No worries 👍 thank you for taking the time to reply 😊 

Depending what gear pitch you want and how much power will be put through it. 

The finer pitches will be a struggle due however a larger ones shouldn't be an issue. The thing would be ensuring that when drawn in CAD it's drawn correctly as gears can be tricky to get right. 

What model is it going in, once we know that it would be easier to advise?

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

Depending what gear pitch you want and how much power will be put through it. 

The finer pitches will be a struggle due however a larger ones shouldn't be an issue. The thing would be ensuring that when drawn in CAD it's drawn correctly as gears can be tricky to get right. 

What model is it going in, once we know that it would be easier to advise?

Hello there 👋, right the vehicle in question is a Kyosho Giga Crusher D/F nitro monster truck.  

Apologies for the delayed response. 

I've attached images of the culprits in question!

The lower picture is of the spur gears in their natural habitat. 

20200622_105509.jpg

20200621_225103.jpg

20200621_223921.jpg

As a 3D printer owner, I would agree that PETG won't be strong enough, and I don't think ABS won't be strong enough as well due to the extreme force in these gears. You'll need moulded gears.

23 minutes ago, Mack1 said:

Hi Mack1 👋. It will yes, it has the same part number as what is fitted to the Giga Crusher.

The thin serated disc I'm unsure of though. 

However I'd still need the other 2 spur gears to complete the set.

Admittedly I do have a full gear set on it way from Italy 🇮🇹. But if that ever strips then I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to find another set hence the nature of my post/thread 👍

2 hours ago, Tony said:

As a 3D printer owner, I would agree that PETG won't be strong enough, and I don't think ABS won't be strong enough as well due to the extreme force in these gears. You'll need moulded gears.

Hi Tony 👋. Yes I agree, them spur gears are in fairly harsh environment. Ideally I would love to have the spur gears reproduced in steel. It beggars belief that plastic is used in such drive trains, as there's no other plastic parts involved. 

Surely it can't be put down to being a "deliberate weak point".

7 minutes ago, Mack1 said:

Firstly thank you for taking the time to do some leg work for me, much appreciated 🙏. Unfortunately the part dont match up although they are remarkably similar in appearance. I've attached a screenshot of an exploded diagram of the gear set with their respective part numbers.

Screenshot_20200719-231940_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Just now, Chris_205 said:

Firstly thank you for taking the time to do some leg work for me, much appreciated 🙏. Unfortunately the part dont match up although they are remarkably similar in appearance. I've attached a screenshot of an exploded diagram of the gear set with their respective part numbers.

Screenshot_20200719-231940_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I suppose in all fairness it can't hurt to give them a stab as they're not going to break the bank that's for sure