• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lunchbox suspension

Marcus73

Yeah I was thinking of doing that myself, speaking of servos I was thinking about getting a new one as the stock one that comes with it seems really crap, it only turns the wheels a tiny bit, just doesn't seem right to me, any suggestions how to sort it. Thanks. 

I’ve got a set of Fastrax shocks on mine.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-1-10th-75mm-aluminium-adjustable-shocks-2-/rc-car-products/17176

They’re  currently out of stock on Modelsport, but they’re a generic shock, they’re the same as the Absima ones, as well as other makes around the same price.

I’ve got 75mm on the front and 85mm on the rear. In retrospect I probably should have gone 75mm front and back. To me it looks like the nose is lower than the back, which I am not so keen on, and lowering the back would also lower the centre of gravity, which should help with handling.

I’ve got different weight oil in the front and back (not quite sure what weight, possibly 350cst in the front and 200cst in the rear. It took a lot of experimenting so you’d think I’d have made a note...).

I think it needs slightly softer springs at the rear, as it is still just a tiny bit too bouncy. You can get a suitable set that has soft, medium and strong springs.

Oil filled shocks do make a huge difference, and I think those softer springs will enable me to dial them in perfectly (well, as perfectly as a Lunchbox is ever going to get).

Have  you got foam inserts in the tyres? Because those made an even bigger difference and should really be the first job.

4 hours ago, Fef15t said:

I’ve got a set of Fastrax shocks on mine.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-1-10th-75mm-aluminium-adjustable-shocks-2-/rc-car-products/17176

They’re  currently out of stock on Modelsport, but they’re a generic shock, they’re the same as the Absima ones, as well as other makes around the same price.

I’ve got 75mm on the front and 85mm on the rear. In retrospect I probably should have gone 75mm front and back. To me it looks like the nose is lower than the back, which I am not so keen on, and lowering the back would also lower the centre of gravity, which should help with handling.

I’ve got different weight oil in the front and back (not quite sure what weight, possibly 350cst in the front and 200cst in the rear. It took a lot of experimenting so you’d think I’d have made a note...).

I think it needs slightly softer springs at the rear, as it is still just a tiny bit too bouncy. You can get a suitable set that has soft, medium and strong springs.

Oil filled shocks do make a huge difference, and I think those softer springs will enable me to dial them in perfectly (well, as perfectly as a Lunchbox is ever going to get).

Have  you got foam inserts in the tyres? Because those made an even bigger difference and should really be the first job.

Thanks I'll defo look into getting the shocks, and no I've still got the standard tyres on mine, i can see why foam inserts would make a difference, where would i be able to get them from please. 

4 hours ago, mond said:

Getting some oil shocks is always worth it and do a Google search for the third shock mod.

Hi there, I've have Googled the 3rd shock option but didn't really find out where I could get one and my local model shop wasn't much help either just said they didn't stock tamiya aftermarket parts and told me to Google it lol 

1 hour ago, Marcus73 said:

Hi there, I've have Googled the 3rd shock option but didn't really find out where I could get one and my local model shop wasn't much help either just said they didn't stock tamiya aftermarket parts and told me to Google it lol 

trying to think of where a guide is but essentially it's running a third shock from the chassis down to the centre of the axle. It keeps things a bit more aligned.  It's not a Tamiya part unless you buy a shock kit and do it with a tamiya shock!

On 11/07/2020 at 10:21, mond said:

Getting some oil shocks is always worth it and do a Google search for the third shock mod.

A buddy of mine did this to my Lunchbox. I can attest that it does handle better with this mod. 

However.... If I am completely honest, that chassis design in my opinion is never going to handle that well and I find their forté to be amusement more than lightning handling 👍

You don't really need to add a third shock!! You can just lock that point in place I used a small aluminium plate to stop it moving other people have used fishing line!! I have a cheap eBay set of shocks on mine!! Works well

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk