• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

EKayak

freddieb

Hi Guys!

First time poster here. not sure if this is the right section for this sort of stuff so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I've given myself a bit of an odd ball project of giving my inflatable kayak some power that's not too clumsy! I'm not looking the fly along more of just something to poodle along and make paddling easier on those lazy days! after looking around at options i worked out turning to rc models is the best route to go.

List of parts I've got for it:

2 x thruster pods with 12-24V - 20A - 1000Kv brushless motors -(3-5kg thrust each)

2 x ESC 4-16V 30A

Silicone cable - 16AWG

digital servo tester

my plan is to attach the thrusters to the two skegs/fins on the kayak and then have the ESC's, battery, etc in a waterproof box to put in the back. I will then use the servo tester as a throttle control.

The photo is of the test setup.

Used to be very much into RC when i was younger but sort of pulled out of it just as brushless setups became popular so not so clued up using them.

My main concern is going to be the ESC to motor wires which are going to have to be approximately 1000mm. i know that these wires are meant to be as short as possible as the esc  starts to get confused if the cables get to long. is this true? and how much do they get affected and will the cable i will be using to extend these wires (16AWG) be adequate for the job?

Another problem is the battery. I'm not keen on using lipo's around water but not sure what would be a better alternative. I'm thinking a 12V gel battery. what are your thoughts on this?  i haven't worked out what size/mah i should be looking at yet (looking a 20mins or more gentle run time hopefully)

I'm also thinking of putting an on/off switch in so there's no messing around with plugs when in the water. Do i put this on the positive or native wire? Silly question i know but I've heard in places it's better to put it on the negative as it reduces surging or something. any insight on this, i would be interested to know.

I know a lot of this is going to have to be trial and error as its not what the kit is meant to do but should be a bit of fun and might learn something in the process!

Any insight to my queries or suggestions/advice will be welcome! :) 

20200701_211511.jpg

Edited by freddieb