• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Jimboi's Enduro Element Sandero (EES) build thread

7 minutes ago, Jimboi said:

So I've been quite busy this week, mainly with jobs to keep the missus happy. So lots of DIY!

I've managed to get a lot of the build done now too, and just waiting on a servo, Tx/Rx, and batteries/charger.

I've fitted a motor - I went with a Holmes hobby crawl master 16t, after advice from Neil at Red Winches. Plus it was in stock!

IMG_20200620_210804

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

That’s the same motor I purchased - because it was still in stock. Would have preferred the 13T but there you go. Still waiting on it to be delivered. How long did yours take to arrive?

The drive shafts have been added. They were quite straight forward to fit, albeit quite fiddly. The drive pin retaining caps kept on coming off, so I resorted to taping them in place with a bit of masking tape:

IMG_20200620_192416

Next up was the shocks. I really enjoyed putting these together. I bought some green slime which doesn't come with the kit, and whilst I was at it upgraded the shock towers to the hard plastic, as I've read there is quite a bit of flex in the panhard mount.

There are also two sizes of o-ring - one to retain the spring rate (I think) and one for the top cap seal. I got these mixed up with the first attempt. The larger one is for the adjuster.

The e clips were a pita to fit, but thankfully didn't send any flying across the room!

IMG_20200613_204901

IMG_20200613_211827

Shexy shocks:

IMG_20200620_194554

• Like 2

That’s the same motor I purchased - because it was still in stock. Would have preferred the 13T but there you go. Still waiting on it to be delivered. How long did yours take to arrive?
@RC_County_Crawler I think I order on a Monday and got it on the Friday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimboi said:

@RC_County_Crawler I think I order on a Monday and got it on the Friday.

Placed my order last Monday and the website says it’s being processed, so maybe I’ll give them a bell in the week

• Like 1

So I've been undecided on what body to go with. My initial thoughts were a classic range rover hard body, but I decided that I want to get out and crawl without worrying about tumbles and messing it up. (I'm new to crawling)

I moved on to thinking about a marty mcfly hilux, hence the wheels I bought. It's probably been done to death, but will likely go that way.

50031274527_bdfb59da75_b.jpg

However for the time being[mention=43565]CarlC[/mention] kindly sent me his old enduro body and it looks good with the wheels. Thanks Carl. I'm gonna go out and bash it and enjoy it until I decide what body to go with.

50028224873_c44efe960b_b.jpg

A bit of articulation courtesy of Thomas the tank engine:

50029027107_43ecb26c9c_b.jpg

50028224893_eb8ccd2abd_b.jpg

50028764451_5afc5262d8_b.jpg

• Like 2

On 21/06/2020 at 15:29, RC_County_Crawler said:

What are the benefits of venting and what do you use to make the hole@DartmoorTrails ?

I’ve got those tyres too. They look really nice. Still waiting on an ESC so my SCX10 II chassis is going nowhere right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry @RC_County_Crawler, been offline for a few days - the footie's started up again lol!

As Jim mentioned it's so the tyre can expel the air quicker and conform to the surface, be it rock or whatever. Of course there's a requriement for good foams at this stage if you're really going for it with steep climbs and especially side hilling - a 2 stage foam will allow the soft outer to conform really well, whilst the inside clsoed cell 'stiff' foam won't allow the tyre to fold over on side hills, and is also waterproof.

It really depends on what you plan on trying to tackle. If it's general trail running then you're probably just fine with standard single foams and venting, or not. It's really when you want to get into technical crawling that you'll be wanting to invest in proper foams etc.

Hope that helps;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Sorry @RC_County_Crawler, been offline for a few days - the footie's started up again lol!

As Jim mentioned it's so the tyre can expel the air quicker and conform to the surface, be it rock or whatever. Of course there's a requriement for good foams at this stage if you're really going for it with steep climbs and especially side hilling - a 2 stage foam will allow the soft outer to conform really well, whilst the inside clsoed cell 'stiff' foam won't allow the tyre to fold over on side hills, and is also waterproof.

It really depends on what you plan on trying to tackle. If it's general trail running then you're probably just fine with standard single foams and venting, or not. It's really when you want to get into technical crawling that you'll be wanting to invest in proper foams etc.

Hope that helps;)

That’s really helpful, thanks @DartmoorTrails & @Jimboi

And, no worries about being sidetracked by the footy, I have too. NFFC all the way! Come on you Reds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not had any time this week to continue the build.

I've had a few deliveries including batteries, charger and a servo. So hopefully I can find some time this weekend between DIY and patenting...

I've gone with a power HD LW20. Will my HW 1080 manage okay without a separate castle BEC? Appreciate any guidance you may have

[mention=45050]Jimboi[/mention] That’ll most likely be fine. I run a cheap 20kg servo on my 1080 at 7.4v and it works surprisingly well without a BEC. 

Thanks Andy. I'll give it a go without.

Your build looks great I’m in two minds as which kit to get so I’m very interested in your opinion on this one 
@Briclimb thanks for the good feedback.

This is my first kit build and I've really enjoyed it. The instructions have been really clear and not had too many problems.

I don't have any experience with other build kits so I'm unable to compare and contrast and give much of an opinion I'm afraid. What have you been looking at as well as the enduro?

Looking really good mate. Bumper mod really made a great difference [emoji106]

Oh, and those shocks look to be good quality !.. 
Cheers Stimpy. The bumper mod will do for the time being, although it feels bit of a bodge... I Just need a bit of a break from spending on it and also get it going.

I was very impressed with the quality of the shocks. They are very smooth and feel quality in the hand. One of them is slightly sticky, so I'll see if it gets better with use. If not I'll take it off and re-build it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jimboi said:

@Briclimb thanks for the good feedback.

This is my first kit build and I've really enjoyed it. The instructions have been really clear and not had too many problems.

I don't have any experience with other build kits so I'm unable to compare and contrast and give much of an opinion I'm afraid. What have you been looking at as well as the enduro?

I’ve been looking at the TRX-4 sport kit and the SSD trail king

Hi Guys,
Saturday night update.

Managed to get the electronics in now, well apart from the Rx... I'm still waiting on a second hand Tx/Rx to arrive. It should've been here yesterday, but Hermes sent it to the wrong regional centre [emoji2959]

First bit of soldering for a while...

IMG_20200627_204102

Motor connected up:

IMG_20200627_205115

The result:

IMG_20200627_221511

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at the TRX-4 sport kit and the SSD trail king
Both good options so I've read, but not sure I could comment.

It's the hardest thing to decide isn't it! I took ages...

• Like 1

i would resolder that it looks like flux is holding it [emoji106]
@Stormbringer Thanks for the advice . The physical joint seemed okay when I gave it a wiggle, but I've not had chance to see how conductive it is.

I've ordered some more heat shrink so will try again.

Looking good [emoji106]
I'd also alter the angle of the soldered wire so it's pointing towards your ESC, or at least anywhere where you won't have a tight bend near the connections [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, good shout. I thought it would be easier to solder it outside of the car, but didn't think ahead about how cramped they would be with the battery tray in. [emoji2357]

My first and last attempt to vinyl wrap an rc car... Some bits turned out okay, but most is a dogs dinner.

Should've listened to Kev Talbot when he tried it.

Any how, it looks okay from a distance or when you've had a few beers, much like some of the women I met before the missus!! [emoji23][emoji23]

IMG_20200703_233209

IMG_20200703_232906

• Haha 1