• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XV-01 , TT-02 or Other

SgtStress

Hi,

Looking into getting a rally type car but not really sure what my best options are. I definitely want to build from kit rather than buy a RTR. Looks likes the main options i can see are the Tamiya XV-01 or TT-02 kits, but i'm not really sure whats going to best.

Usage will mostly be tarmac, gravel and dirt.

I'd like to go brushless - not too mental a speed but id like to be able to hit 30mph+ when out on the tarmac. Is that realistic and sensible with either of these chassis? I assume i will need to upgrade various bits to keep some reliability in with this.

With the XV-01, is it best to start with say the Lancia kit, and then upgrade whatever needs upgrading as i go? Or is it worth starting with the Long Damper spec chassis?

With TT-02, start with base kit, Lancia / Audi and upgrade from there? Or hit the TT-02 Type S?

I know the TT-02 is basically a TC chassis, so with some shock tweaks is can easily be made as a pure road machine, but what about the XV-01? Would i need to do much other than swap suspension to lower the height and slap some road tyres on if i want to go pure road at any point?

Any must have upgrades for either of these?

What are spares / upgrades availability for the XV-01 like? Still lots in production?

And finally, are there any other options i'm missing here?

Cheers!

Edited by SgtStress

I’m also interest in the answers here. My understanding is the XV01 is a capable rally chassis but the TT02 is a versatile chassis with a huge following and tons of upgrades and aftermarket parts. I don’t know if the forward position of the motor on the XV01 significantly improves handling enough to justify the extra cost over the TT02.

It was 5 years ago but I watched this to see what models they were using as it lists the chassis with each racer. I don’t think I got to the results but I think it’s more about the driver than the car. 

Edited by oodboo
Missing words

I bought and built the XV-01T thinking  much the same as you - it will mainly be run on my uneven grass. It was a great build (with a few hop ups), far more involved than the TT-01 I had built recently.

I haven’t run it yet! I am more of a builder than a runner, something I need to rectify.

Missus is hopefully pulling the trigger on an xv-01 lancia delta kit for my 40th next month, excited is not the word! Ordering in a few basic hop-ups - some carbon reinforced parts, alu pulleys. Cant find anywhere with the alu or reinforced suspension mounts so they will have to be sorted at a later date. Also cant find anywhere with a slipper set which is a bit annoying.

Still undecided on motor choice. I want to go mild brushless at some point, but will probably just opt for a more rapid brushed initially - any suggestions?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got a XV01 few weeks ago and love it, waiting on lots of upgrades. It's defiantly more build intensive then the TT02.

Couple of things to get around, i would say take your time on positioning the esc and receiver before sticking them down.

Also i couldn't get a normal servo to fit in the space so ordered a low profile one.

Just fitted a speed passion v3 10.5 sensored and it runs sweet and smooth, getting 27mph out of 2s.

Pretty much everyone wants longer shocks, might make sense to buy long damper version

Long damper spec seems a bit of an odd one really. With nothing else changed, ot seems you just get more upward travel. Not sure what this achieves as the chassis will bottom out before shocks anyway - as it does non LD spec. You don't seem to get any more droop as the steering tie rods will rub chassis and suspension mounts too. 

There's a few xv01 groups where people have been LD and gone back to stock as they cant see it offers anything. It also limits shell choice or at least how low you can mount a shell. 

You can mod the chassis and use longer shocks without LD spec

I was considering going LD but have been put off from various comments now. 

Took mine out on a track yesterday, what a car the XV01 is. Mine is stock except speed passion b3 10.5t sensored.

It was jumping, sliding with nice control, doing 34mph round a banked bend, beast of a car.

Kraton 6s went in the boot and i carried on with the XV01, everyone was asking to have a go and were amazed by how smooth and agile it was and stable.

I got tons of hop ups waiting to go in, just put on 64mm dampers which has raised it a bit more. Hoping that doesnt ruin the handling.

Speed passion v3 10.5t seems a nice fit, although the car is not really getting the most out of it, motor doesn't even get luke warm. I do have the slipper clutch setup to go on with a 33t pinion. Not sure how that will affect the speed.

Edited by Logie

• 3 months later...
On 01/08/2020 at 00:31, Logie said:

Took mine out on a track yesterday, what a car the XV01 is. Mine is stock except speed passion b3 10.5t sensored.

It was jumping, sliding with nice control, doing 34mph round a banked bend, beast of a car.

Kraton 6s went in the boot and i carried on with the XV01, everyone was asking to have a go and were amazed by how smooth and agile it was and stable.

I got tons of hop ups waiting to go in, just put on 64mm dampers which has raised it a bit more. Hoping that doesnt ruin the handling.

Speed passion v3 10.5t seems a nice fit, although the car is not really getting the most out of it, motor doesn't even get luke warm. I do have the slipper clutch setup to go on with a 33t pinion. Not sure how that will affect the speed.

How are You  finding the XV-01 ? 
Im thinking of ordering myself one 

• Like 1