• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie - East Devon

Hello.

Joined about 12mths ago - but never posted an official hello.

Hooked on RC Rock Crawlers - especially all things Traxxas!  

Accidentally fell into the hobby scene, when I visited our local RC store (RC Octane, Dunkeswell) 18mths ago  to find something to replace a dissapointing “toy” RC car which my son got for Christmas (2018).

My kids made me buy the FTX Outback Fury (I wanted the Outback 2) - which we still have and use.   Despite being at the cheaper end of the spectrum and slightly (very) tacky looking - it’s still one of my favourite cars.  I love it!  It’s been subjected to huge amounts of abuse with very little maintenance and not needed much in the way of (major) replacement parts.   

A year later I then splashed out on a TRX4 Defender - simply, WOW!  Bought in Canada on a slight detour whilst enroute to Calgary Airport (PM Hobbycraft).

Traxxas Summit 1/16 - currently in many, many pieces.  I’m in the process of replacing the ring & pinion gears front and rear.  Awaiting delivery of shims and other bits - on back order.

Latest addition is a TRX4 Sport (kit) which my brother and I built over Christmas.  We (he) had a lot of fun of putting it together, but I just can’t bring myself to start using it in anger - it cost so much, and looks so nice!  I’m also thinking I don’t need another rock crawler - and maybe I’ll try something different,  Traxxas Maxx?  Mini E-Revo VXL?  So, you’ll be seeing it posted in the For Sale section very soon!

AA8EC6C6-1DDE-4D4D-AC29-C53924DD0EF3.thumb.jpeg.e164fbe22e86e5c49f8422d70d2e4dcb.jpeg

8443EC1E-A203-4D26-BAD5-E85D9A25C9C1.thumb.jpeg.5c902f9463ba89616ba741498e7afcfa.jpeg

8EBC91E2-6A3D-4FCF-9AE1-95EC592BA9E7.thumb.jpeg.a12e4ee63d614cc412de3b37632955ce.jpeg

Thanks Dartmoor Trails.

Not sure about the Luppitt Inn - it’s probably about 8 miles from me.

Our regular spot for some crawling and trail fun, is Woodbury Common.  It’s got loads of quiet and varied trails - with lots of fun features (streams / bogs / log-piles) along the way.  Hard to beat IMO.

It would be great to know some of your favourite local places - I’m sure the kids would enjoy a trip out somewhere different.

9 hours ago, DXThomas said:

Thanks Dartmoor Trails.

Not sure about the Luppitt Inn - it’s probably about 8 miles from me.

Our regular spot for some crawling and trail fun, is Woodbury Common.  It’s got loads of quiet and varied trails - with lots of fun features (streams / bogs / log-piles) along the way.  Hard to beat IMO.

It would be great to know some of your favourite local places - I’m sure the kids would enjoy a trip out somewhere different.

I heard someone else talking about Woodbury being good for crawling but i've only ever been for mountain biking and can't think of too much there  being a real climbing chalenge which is generally what I look out for.

I tend to venture along the coast, around Hopes Nose, Torquay is excellent or up on to Dartmoor which is a bit spoilt for choice really with all the Tor's. The trick is finding a quiet one!

Back to Woodbury, i think it may have been the Jurassic crawlers having a regular meet over there - you may want to check them out on FB if they're still around;)

Thanks DartmoorTrails.  I might have to explore some areas in Torquay.  It’s amazing how small a distance you only need to travel before you realise that you don’t know much about the area you live in!  I guess it just means we’re spoilt for choice in this part of the world.

We love Woodbury common - it’s local, and it’s fantastic for quiet, unspoilt tracks.  I guess it’s more suited for fun trails, rather than hardcore crawling terrain.  We love getting the trucks mucky - and there’s some great swamps and streams to play in.  

Hi bertberr - the only reason we know about Woodbury, is because I used to go mountain biking there.  That was back in the 90’s - with a GT RTS and an Orange Clockwork.  I got back into the retro-mtb scene a few years ago.  I now have a lovely red anodised GT Zaskar which I’ve used a fair bit in lockdown.

We now occasionally go for walks with the kids at Haldon Forest - and it always surprises me how busy these trail centers are, when there are (empty) places like Woodbury Common.  I know where I’d rather be cycling.

RC’s might not get punctures - but they do break down a lot (at least mine do!).  There’s not much fun in carrying a wet and muddy RC a few miles back to the car.  

We took the FTX Outback Fury to our local river yesterday - it went swimming (sort of accidentally).  I had to fish it out with a long chain and a scale ground anchor.  Despite having been fully submerged for 10mins - it drove off straight away, and kept going without fault for the rest of our walk.  It’s a plucky little car - not a patch on the performance of the TRX4, but somehow it’s still great fun to use - and doesn’t embarrass itself. 

• Like 1

Yes, I remember the Zaskar well, very tasty!  I had an old Tomac Buckshot Pro until fairly recently, shouldn't have sold it really, though with ali frame, short square section chain & seat stays, it was a pretty uncompromising, albeit fast, ride.  Still have my Kona Cinder Cone that I bought new in 1991, having saved up for about a year!  Bit of a triggers broom now, and been through various guises over the years, but will never sell it.  My current MTB is another blast from the past steelie hardtail, the Sanderson Breath - you prob guessed by now I'm a bit of luddite...  We should try to get a Devon msuk bash/crawl going when all this is over, or arrange to meet up on a Darkside Crawlers run.

bertberr - good choice in retro rides! I don't recall much  about the Tomas Buckshot - although the name certainly rings a few bells.  As for the ‘91  Cinder Cone - great, solid frame.  I love Kona’s from that era.  I’ve got an Explosif frame that’s waiting to be built up into something special - one day, maybe.

Anyway...back to RC cars!

Like your idea to have a local meet up - explore some new areas.

In the meantime - enjoy the long weekend.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

so glad to have another Trx4 fan, mine has seen some proper use now but soldiering on as good as the day I got it..

that sport looks gorgeous, really nice shade of blue :good:

On 26/05/2020 at 22:19, Gaz! said:

Welcome to the forum.

so glad to have another Trx4 fan, mine has seen some proper use now but soldiering on as good as the day I got it..

that sport looks gorgeous, really nice shade of blue :good:

Hi Gaz.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I love the Traxxas stuff - although I’ve not tried many other brands.  

Which TRX have you got?

My Blue Sport didn’t sell on eBay - so I’ve decided to keep it, and put it to good use!