• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Ligier JS9 Matra ‘78-80 Resto Project

QRC

Been a long time since starting thread on this great forum, but after reducing my fleet over the last two months, it was time to go shopping, and there it was on EBay, could not believe my luck.

Having had one of these back ‘79, which was brand new and I had great time build it and then running, of course times were very different with brushed motors, msc and nicad batteries, so very short run times....

It will arrive in good time, and then the fun starts, it needs a good clean, then it’s time for a brushless system and decent steering servo. Updates to follow...

Then it will be ready for a run with @willb‘s 6 wheeled Tyrrell...

Edited by QRC

Just love that era of F1, brings back great memories of going to Brands Hatch for the British GP with my dad in 1980 and the European GP of 1983, as well as the Race of Champions there in 1979.  Still have the programs in my loft.  The noise and the smell as we walked towards the circuit from the car parks was what got me hooked, and, to me, that era of F1 is still the best.  From memory the JS9 had been superseded by the JS11 by the time I was going to Brands - Cosworth DFV vs the amazing Matra V12 of the JS9.  Both beautiful cars, in fact the JS11 remains, to my eyes, the best looking F1 car of the rear engine era.  But that Matra V12 in the JS9... If that thing doesn't get you excited, nothing will 

In a JS17, but you get the idea...

It’s my preferred era of F1, these days not....

So will it take a brushless system,, only one way to find out...

Steering servo, it needs a Savox 1258...

The only part I can see which is MIA, is a part of the rear wing, previous owner has fabricated a sub, but it’s not great....

I have joined the Tamiyaclub, they will be a great source of info and possible spares...

Yep that’s how mine looked back in ‘79, I am not kidding myself this one will ever look that good, although the body is in very good nick for it’s age...

Houston we may have a problem, still no Ligier, have had to chase now twice to find what’s going on, promised on three occasions that it would be shipped, none of these happened.

Now no answer when messaging seller....all covered by PP so not worries about the monies, just very disappointed....🙁

Things took a positive swing today, after yet another message to seller, it was marked as posted and even a tracking number, Hermes being the carrier, so it will make it, but more than likely next year....😆😆

Going to keep the silver can as a motor for now, I have a number in stock, getting a Tam sensored esc, so can upgrade to brushless later, and a quick Alturn servo.

Well, the car and bits are some where in the abyss of My Hermes, hopefully it will show sometime before Xmas...😂.

Missed a Tam sensored TBLE02 on Timetunnel over the weekend it was only £16....😮

Now bidding on two via EBay, used but in good condition...

Looks like it’s the end of the road for the purchase and refurb, still no car, from the track info, he has not even given the parcel to Herpes. It’s now 14 days from the sale date, even with the current situation, this turnaround is awful....

I have purchased numerous items after the Ligier and received all in a very timely fashion.

Typical Ebay, some you win, some you lose...🤦‍♂️

Well, had a return to my ‘non delivery’ request in the early hours of this morning, my purchase is in transit now, you never know it might just turn up...I have never had the misfortune to deal with such an inept seller....🤦‍♂️😂

Crazy turn in events, thought I would check the tracking details one more time and the parcel is actually logged with the courier and is on the move.....😮.

5 hours ago, bertberr said:

I do hope its worth it after all this...

so do I, was about to order a BNIB from Japan...🤦‍♂️😃

Had a good look at everything which appeared yesterday, the car and body are in very good condition for there age, also included was a big bag of spares and random bits for other cars...🤣🤣.

The only disappointment was one missing item, the original box, which was shown in the sales photos. I can only imagine it’s in a bin now, torn up, such a waste.....🙁