• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice

Dad and lad

Hi been away from the rc world for some years but thought ide buy my lad a car for his birthday. So to start off got him the ftx bugster. So yesterday all ok worked fine and getting the hang of it, today however plugged battery in turned everything on, but nothing no start up sound, no forward or reverse. Lights are on and the stearing all works but that's it. It's all new to me as the last car I had I were a kid myself a long time ago lol any help please 

Be methodical and check the simple things first;

Is the battery fully charged or charged enough?

Are all the wires connected and connected properly?

Are the lights that are on the ESC correct or are they flashing error codes/different colour LEDS (check manual)? 

The last time I had an ESC with the lights on (steering working) but the ESC wouldn't supply power to the motor was because it was dead after I connected a battery to the wrong polarities on my battery. 

That was using a shorty Lipo with bullet connectors though, ...most models like what you have will have male to female connectors to stop anything like that being able to happen. 

The ESC could still be dead though if overheated, shorted out or for some other reason. 

8 minutes ago, Dad and lad said:

Thanks for reply I'll have another read of Manuel and go check over the car again 

No problem. Hopefully others will contribute if they can think of anything I'm missing.

Hopefully though it's just something simple.

If you've got power, which it sounds like you have, then you need to look at controller, ESC and motor fault checking. 

1 hour ago, Dad and lad said:

So wot I have so far. Changed the stearing and throttle around in the receiver still got stearing but with the trigger but still no forward or back 

The receiver should be set up with the servo in number one position and the ESC in number two position. "One to turn, two to burn" is an easy way to remember.  

Is the motor making any noise at all when you try to move the RC?

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

The receiver should be set up with the servo in number one position and the ESC in number two position. "One to turn, two to burn" is an easy way to remember.  

Is the motor making any noise at all when you try to move the RC?

So it's set as you say one to turn two to burn. But if I swop them around I'm still getting stearing (with the trigger) but nothing at all from motor. So thinking it's receiver or esc

Morning,

Check the wires that go from the ESC to the receiver look at the connector is it plugged in the same way as steering any breaks nicks damage to any of the 3 wires, looks like it’s sending power but not a signal which is the white or yellow- ish wire.

Check all the way back, then check the wires from the esc to the motor are they ok sometimes wires can jolt loose if you see bullet connectors try unplugging & plugging in again.

If all looks sound then it might be faulty as you say.

If the instructions explain how to rebind and set up the ESC then try them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick one and probably already checked, but have had it before with an esc is the throttle trim centred or has it been moved causing the esc to think its already in reverse or forward slightly and so not arming when you first turn it on?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Most common issues in order of likely:

1. Battery not charged enough. 

2. Wiring / connectors.

3. Motor dead.

4. Esc dead. 

If the esc is showing the correct lights then you can test the motor by attaching a battery to it.... If that works then ESC or wiring... 

Goodluck!. 

18 hours ago, Dad and lad said:

So it's set as you say one to turn two to burn. But if I swop them around I'm still getting stearing (with the trigger) but nothing at all from motor. So thinking it's receiver or esc

It doesn't sound like your receiver because as you say it's still sending a signal and has power going through it. 

When you swapped the channel plugs around you said you still got steering (using the trigger though) and still no forward/reverse from the motor (using steering wheel). This proves that your receiver is working fine as are channels one and two because each time your servo got power & worked as it should.

If it was the receiver then when you swapped them around your motor should have worked and your steering wouldn't have showing a faulty channel 2. 

Found a video for you to see if that helps.

1 hour ago, Dad and lad said:

Sorry one more thing anyone no wot motor I could use a better one  other than the one it came with. My local rc shop isn't much help  

It'll depend on what ESC you've got and what that can handle. 

Did you say you got it from Modelsport UK? 

They're usually very helpful so should be able to steer you in the right direction. 

I believe this is the standard motor: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vantage-carnage-outlaw-550-brushed-motor/rc-car-products/369466

Like I said it will depend on your ESC but you might be able to get a lower turn motor like a 12T-13T for a bit more poke or you could change your pinion gear/spur gear. Give Modelsport UK a bell and I'm sure they'll advise you better. 👍