• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial SMT10 Monster

mydoddy69

12 minutes ago, mond said:

Nice, what did you make them from? 

Stainless Steel. No way these bad boys will bend or rust not for love nor money 😂😂

35 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

This is one of those kits that makes me go... Hmmmmmmmmm every time I'm on the hobby sites. Really tempted buy it but got a lot of modding, building/rebuilding to do as it stands

Have you any ideas what kind of shell you're going for yet?

That's proline one would look the business.

Apart from those axle tubes mines how it comes what you have to remember is these where never designed to take brushless power so the more power you put in the more your mod 

To be honest if I could have found a brushed  Titan 775 and a EVX-2 for a good price that’s what I’d have used  👍

I’m probably going with that Proline shell but I will need to trim the wheel arches unless I can find something else trouble is at the moment you can’t get paint for any shells delivered 😂😂.   I have got my eye on another she’ll mind 😂😂

• Like 1

This lockdown is a little dangerous on the internet shopping 😂😂. Just ordered all the bits for the 4 way steer 👍

No doubt I’ll be waiting a month or so though as I went with Wheelspin and there all supplier stock 😂😂. Mind you now logic has taken over it might be sooner but I doubt it 😂👍

Total gamble at the moment. I have had parts from China arrive in less than a week but parts from around the UK take a fornight.

Supplier stock in my somewhat limited experience has been generally at least a month though [emoji17]

3 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

Glad you're still getting stuck-in to building RCs, Rich. I was under the impression you'd taken a step back from the hobby?

I had for a while, but slowly getting drawn back inn😂😂

Just now, mydoddy69 said:

I had for a while, but slowly getting drawn back inn😂😂

I'm glad. :good:

I'm curious about this chassis. Seems to be the best option for if I ever got round to building a Bigfoot replica.

7 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the rear steer works out!

You and me both 😂😂. Got to run it stock without first though or I won’t know if it makes it better or worse 👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sid dennis said:

Your work on the axle tubes and these links is top notch,can I ask what you used for the link tubes? I presume tube BUT is it ally or steel? if steel must be a job to bend that.

It’s stainless steel I used it on both the axle tubes and these links 👍👍

Yep it is a bit on the tough side 😂😂. I have a pipe bender for small pipes but even that was a struggle 😂😂

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to get her out omg what a blast 👍👍👍. Loved it but a few tweaks are needed for sure, turning circle is like zero 😂 rear steer is definitely on the cards. Speed is a little lacking so a pinion change is needed . Lastly shocks need a tweak think I’ll swap the pistons and oil and add a sway bar upfront 

These came in from China gonna try out a mod on the steering and use these as a servo saver not sure how it will turn out as I’ve read mixed reviews on it but they where only cheap so worth a shot 

4-B860314-0-F4-E-4-ABC-846-A-D1-E95-E539

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I must say sometimes old eBay certainly surprises me have a look at these cheap lower links 

572-F0-B80-6-C15-4093-B03-D-FD371382-CB5

Took a couple of weeks to come but well worth the wait and there even lighter than the stock plastic ones 👍👍

32 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Well I must say sometimes old eBay certainly surprises me have a look at these cheap lower links 

Took a couple of weeks to come but well worth the wait and there even lighter than the stock plastic ones 👍👍

No plastic rod ends to break as well unlike the ssd trailing arms I had. 

53 minutes ago, Jumper said:

No plastic rod ends to break as well unlike the ssd trailing arms I had. 

I know some say these pressed ones are junk others have the plastic ones break but like it as it’s a cheap weak point. All I know is these 4  cost the price of just one ssd and I mean one single not one pair 😂👍

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, been after an SMT10 for a while now, wife got me some ModelSport vouchers for my birthday, just in time for them to be sold out everywhere. Had it in order since the beginning of May - the suspense is killing me!

That said, giving me time to get some of the other bits I need. Managed to source some Jconsepts Firestorm tires.  Struggling to find wheels though.

any suggestions on sites that might have the Jconsepts Tribute wheels?

any other bits to consider whilst I wait?  

Thinking of a Hobywing EZRun 3652 Max10 ESC/Motor.

cheers all!

On 07/06/2020 at 16:10, Murmles said:

Hi all, been after an SMT10 for a while now, wife got me some ModelSport vouchers for my birthday, just in time for them to be sold out everywhere. Had it in order since the beginning of May - the suspense is killing me!

That said, giving me time to get some of the other bits I need. Managed to source some Jconsepts Firestorm tires.  Struggling to find wheels though.

any suggestions on sites that might have the Jconsepts Tribute wheels?

any other bits to consider whilst I wait?  

Thinking of a Hobywing EZRun 3652 Max10 ESC/Motor.

cheers all!

Stock is pretty much sold out  everywhere at the minute with this lockdown  going on, just have to wait it out I’m afraid, a lot of guys use that combo I opted for the 3660 4000kv which is more than enough in my book 👍

id run it break it and upgrade it or these can soon turn into a money pit 😂

• Like 1

On 10/06/2020 at 19:30, mydoddy69 said:

Stock is pretty much sold out  everywhere at the minute with this lockdown  going on, just have to wait it out I’m afraid, a lot of guys use that combo I opted for the 3660 4000kv which is more than enough in my book 👍

id run it break it and upgrade it or these can soon turn into a money pit 😂

I was doing a little reading on the 3660 size cans.  They seem to run cooler and have more torque.  Seem like a good option, 4000kv sounds quite spicy!

I'm just hoping they show up in the next month or so.  I want to get stuck in!

• 6 months later...