• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial SMT10 Monster

mydoddy69

So ever since I saw the release of the builders kit this has firmly been in my mind to get one, now with the current lockdown situation I thought why not 👍

I ordered up the kit and nothing else as I have a few bits knocking around I can use to get started with and don’t want to buy anything aboard right now. 

Never had an Axial kit before so this will be interesting for me and I’ve never had a true solid axle monster truck before either so a learning curve is coming for sure. All help tips and tricks most welcome 👍👍

Hopefully it won’t take too long to come and I can get started, I’ll add some pics then 

44 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

So ever since I saw the release of the builders kit this has firmly been in my mind to get one, now with the current lockdown situation I thought why not 👍

I ordered up the kit and nothing else as I have a few bits knocking around I can use to get started with and don’t want to buy anything aboard right now. 

Never had an Axial kit before so this will be interesting for me and I’ve never had a true solid axle monster truck before either so a learning curve is coming for sure. All help tips and tricks most welcome 👍👍

Hopefully it won’t take too long to come and I can get started, I’ll add some pics then 

Sounds awesome, really intrigued by this kit! 

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Does the kit come with lockers?

I know the RTR are live diffs.

Not sure Dan there’s no mention of it in any of the info I’ve read to say if there is or isn’t but I’d guess it’s the same as the rtr and your need to purchase them separately. 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Not sure Dan there’s no mention of it in any of the info I’ve read to say if there is or isn’t but I’d guess it’s the same as the rtr and your need to purchase them separately. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just asked because you mentioned not having a solid axle truck before.

• Thanks 1

The builders kit comes with open diffs as well. no lockers. Normally a full size monster truck would only have the front axle locked. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mond said:

Castle 1410 3800kv and run geared down on 3S. 

Cheers fella I have a hobbywing 3660 3200kv kicking about I’m going to use for now what pinion would you suggest to start with running the j concepts Renegades and like you probably a 3s 

I have got a hobbywing system linked below in mine. I run a 16t pinion, 56t spur and overdrive gears in the diffs. I can run both 2s and 3s. mainly run 3s though as 2s can be a bit slow.  On a 3200kv 3660 i would have though you can run the 17t pinion easy. I think 17t is the biggest you can run. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-3300kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/420922

if you are going to jump i would recommend open diffs as it will be a lot less stress on the axles. The locked front diff i ran for 2 packs driving up loose dirt hills and it was quite fun, but ive gone back to the open diffs now. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jumper said:

I have got a hobbywing system linked below in mine. I run a 16t pinion, 56t spur and overdrive gears in the diffs. I can run both 2s and 3s. mainly run 3s though as 2s can be a bit slow.  On a 3200kv 3660 i would have though you can run the 17t pinion easy. I think 17t is the biggest you can run. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-3300kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/420922

if you are going to jump i would recommend open diffs as it will be a lot less stress on the axles. The locked front diff i ran for 2 packs driving up loose dirt hills and it was quite fun, but ive gone back to the open diffs now. 

Thanks for the advice fella 👍👍

Ill see how this motor performs I may at a later date go with one of those cheapo 3800 3660 motors on eBay ive seen them with 80a esc which should be plenty for this . 

Plan is to have it jump back flip and go nuts as cheap as possible 😂

1 hour ago, mond said:

I think it's got a 16t pinion at the moment. Tbh it's a bit too fast for a scale MT sometimes and it strips rod ends like it's going of of fashion because of it. Good fun though.

Thanks fella 

You have any heat issues with running it ? Reason I ask is I’m looking at the Hobbywing 4000kv combo but would like a few gearing options to play around with if this old 3200 isn't  up to the job that is 😂👍

Axles done now onto the links 👍. One thing I will say is don’t use power tools these plastic strip real easy I’ve pulled out the old Tamiya tool kit so I can’t crank down to hard on the screws 

9-F137-B35-3-DB3-4-C86-8-D6-D-D5-A201973

Decided if I like the way it drives I’ll probably invest in some cnc axles and run 4 wheel steer plus believe it or not you can get a cnc axle cheaper than a stock plastic complete set ! Now that’s mental 😂😂

Next up links but I want to modify them before fitting more for looks than anything else 😂

Got a little carried away and forgot to take any pics 🤦🏻‍♂️ Anyway can’t go any further as bits in the kit are incorrect 🤬 There should have been AX31114 x2 for the centre driveshafts but they put in AX31586 x2 which I believe are for a scx 10 and shorter 

Dare say in the current situation this means the build will be on hold for a few weeks while I get it sorted out 😡

I have ordered up some cheap steel ones from Planedeals U.K.  they looks similar to the MIP version but a fraction of the price I went for 110mm x 150mm  which should be fine 👍

• Haha 1

Getting there but still no centre driveshafts 🤦🏻‍♂️

4-C32491-C-E8-B6-457-D-93-E4-796-C602822

Raided my stash of body shells and found this little beauty 

18083-D5-A-2-A3-E-46-E3-B1-A8-4-D37-D1-E

Its a extremely rare Proline  Maxx Streamliner only thing is I’d have to trim the wheel arches and I’m in 2 minds to keep it for something else as it’s so rare 😂😂

This is one of those kits that makes me go... Hmmmmmmmmm every time I'm on the hobby sites. Really tempted buy it but got a lot of modding, building/rebuilding to do as it stands

Have you any ideas what kind of shell you're going for yet?

That's proline one would look the business.