• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Broke my Savage X starter :-(

HappyLad

Hi guys.

I recently noticed that the roto start mechanism on my Savage X was loose. I took the motor out and was disappointed to find that the engine cover plate (part no. 1426) and the roto start case (87119) were damaged. :(

Pics below show that the screw holding the roto start to the cover plate has pulled out and broke the corner off the cover plate. Also, the plastic case for the roto start has cracked in another corner. There was only one screw holding the whole thing on!

2007_05060010-1.jpg

2007_05060007-1.jpg

I know that you expect parts to break on nitro RC cars, but I've only had this since 7th April – and in that time I've only had time to put about ½ litre of fuel through it! The motor is only just getting run in. Do you think that I could get these parts replaced FOC under guarantee?

If I have to pay for the new bits then should I buy something else, like a pull start (Stock Nitro Star 4.1 motor)? If so, any links to what I should be looking at?

Cheers fellas.

The rotostart on my savage x worked loose first day out. It was caused by them not using thread lock on the screws. Looks like yours has done the same but when its been part way out it has put too much stress on the backplate. Not a lot of metal at that corner. Try phoning them and see if they will replace the parts. You dont know til you try.

Good news mate. Make sure you use theadlock when you fit the rotostart.

The bolts which held the motor in the chassis took some getting out. I have a bottle of threadlock which I intend to use when I put the motor back in, but should I clean up the bolts and the thread on the motor before I put it back in the chassis - there is quite a bit of dried threadlock on them.

Also, any tips on how to get the gear mesh right when I put the motor back?

Cheers

Postie delivered the replacement bits this morning - excellent service from Mirage Racing & MSUK :)

I've found the post on how to mesh the gears correctly when re-installing the engine, but can anyone help on how to remove all the old dry threadlock that is fouling the bolts and tapped holes on the engine mount?

Postie delivered the replacement bits this morning - excellent service from Mirage Racing & MSUK :)

I've found the post on how to mesh the gears correctly when re-installing the engine, but can anyone help on how to remove all the old dry threadlock that is fouling the bolts and tapped holes on the engine mount?

Only screws - get a duster or towel - and grip it with ur finger nails :) using the allen key / driver spin it about 5 - 10 times :)

this should clean it up loads :)

As for the taps threads - I think u best of just putting the screw in to force it out....

And then possible cleaning the screw again :)

Ziggy