• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless System Issues

GeorgeWils

I’m running a Hobbywing 60a Brushless ESC and Motor combo in a Quanam Vandal, on 2S.

Im having issues, the car will drive normally and bomb about and then all of a sudden it will stop, the wheels will still steer left and right and the car still has power.

Picking the car up / turning off and and on again sometimes remedy it. Rarely i’ve noticed power seems to be gone all together (no fan on the esc and light out on the receiver box)

This makes me think it’s maybe the on / off switch playing up? 

Let me know your thoughts!

21 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

If the steering still works, it's not the on/off switch.

Maybe it's the LVC kicking in early?

Or your battery might be on it's way out, have you tried another battery?

Battery holds charge and all the cells are balanced so wouldn’t have thought it was that?

1 minute ago, GeorgeWils said:

Battery holds charge and all the cells are balanced so wouldn’t have thought it was that?

It might still be a bit down in general, it's unfortunately not always a bad cell or something, sometimes it can just get weak.

Have you got another one to try just for elimination purposes?

20 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

It might still be a bit down in general, it's unfortunately not always a bad cell or something, sometimes it can just get weak.

I do i’ll give it a whirl!

It seems to cut out under load, so if i hold the buggy and then pull the trigger the whole car cuts out completely. 

Other battery is on charge now.

41 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

OK so I’ve tried another battery, same symptoms but more exaggerated.

Car on the ground twitches and very tiny movements forwards. Lifted in the air it spins freely and the wheels run quickly. 

Second it’s back on the ground and there is a ‘load’ it doesn’t work again.

6 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

If you hold the buggy and pull the trigger, that will be causing cogging.

If you';re driving along and it just stops, thats something different.

Do you notice it at a particular distance, thinking it could maybe be signal related?

Does this without me holding it, on its own stationary with a different battery it slowly jolts or moves a small amount. 

But in the air the wheels go full speed again. 

1 minute ago, GeorgeWils said:

Does this without me holding it, on its own stationary with a different battery it slowly jolts or moves a small amount. 

But in the air the wheels go full speed again. 

Obvious question but have you checked your motor wires are well connected and not loose?

Sounds like cogging to me, which can be caused by a duff ESC or loose motor wires.

If they are still tight fitting, then check the solder joints.

It's just a process of elimination :) 

8 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Obvious question but have you checked your motor wires are well connected and not loose?

Sounds like cogging to me, which can be caused by a duff ESC or loose motor wires.

If they are still tight fitting, then check the solder joints.

It's just a process of elimination :) 

Yeah i checked and rechecked all of the connections.

So like you say it could either be solder or the ESC then? Not the motor?

If the motor spins freely when off the ground, nothing is binding that up and I'd say it's probably just the ESC unfortunately.

It happens from time to time, if you bought it new, you might get a warranty claim, but most stuff is shut down now or struggling to process claims.

Would be a lot quicker to buy a new one, or if you have someone local, test theres.

22 minutes ago, 1111 said:

Again bad ESC! Expect this with hobbywing. If you just bought it ????? take it back under warranty. 

It’s not a new ESC unfortunately:(  good couple of years old 

1 hour ago, 1111 said:

Again bad ESC! Expect this with hobbywing. If you just bought it ????? take it back under warranty. 

Expect this with Hobbywing? Out of most escs Hobbywing are one of the most reliable brands.

• Like 1

While I agree that it sounds most likely to be the esc its always worth trying suggestions that takes seconds and is free to do before buying something unnecessarily. 👍

Edited by Nickarla
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

While I agree that it sounds most likely to be the esc its always worth trying suggestions that takes seconds and is free to do before buying something unnecessarily. 👍

Pay no attention to that person, they talk complete and utter nonsense, argue with everyone and input nothing valuable.

Who says don't waste money on HobbyWing :lol: (someone who knows nothing)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Pay no attention to that person, they talk complete and utter nonsense, argue with everyone and input nothing valuable.

Who says don't waste money on HobbyWing :lol: (someone who knows nothing)

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking, lol.

You know, it sounds like a loose pinion or maybe a loose mesh, when it’s on the ground does the motor “hum” like it’s running?

also check to see if you have all four drive pins fitted (behind the wheel hex)

hope you get sorted soon :good:

4 hours ago, 1111 said:

I guess You think you know everything?????? Well You don't as you couldn't solve this problem. This problem is exactly why I have several spares on hand  when problems arise. I don't buy hobby king rebranded garbage.

He said the esc is Hobbywing not Hobbyking. If it is the esc as you suggest then this has nothing to do with the Hobbyking brand. Hobbyking do sell good stuff amongst the bad...you just need to know what you're looking for.