• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

fnknans absima ab3.4

fnknan

Hi, just bought one of these as my first kit. I’ve taken it out just to test it and all of 5 minutes in rear shock tower snapped and under closer inspection a wheel has also broke. Is this what I need to expect because it’s not really what I wanted out of an rc car. I understand that they brake but I got 5 minutes and it was a test run so I was just checking it out. But my real question is can you buy upgrade parts and where from I have looked on there website and the obvious eBay but no joy. Any help will be appreciated thank you 

Sadly the car has some weak points. A arms and pins shock towers and wing mounts. Are main issues.
I bought mine with Chinese ally hop up parts already fitted.
But they are out there if you hunt.
Try bangood for starters.

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

• 3 months later...

Hi all, posted the below in the AT3.4 forum.  Can anyone help? Thanks.

Built the AB 3.4 over Christmas and broke the front suspension shock tower 2 minutes into it's maiden run. Have trawled this site and seems to be no definitive answer as to what other car parts fit. Had an answer from an Ebay seller about a shock tower for the HSP 06013 / 94106 / 94107  and he had no idea if it fitted or not.

I did find this source. Anyone have experience of this seller? Tempted and no other hop up parts seem to fit and deffo not buying the originals made of egg shells.

https://www.additiverc.com/

2 hours ago, RCNat said:

Hi all, posted the below in the AT3.4 forum.  Can anyone help? Thanks.

Built the AB 3.4 over Christmas and broke the front suspension shock tower 2 minutes into it's maiden run. Have trawled this site and seems to be no definitive answer as to what other car parts fit. Had an answer from an Ebay seller about a shock tower for the HSP 06013 / 94106 / 94107  and he had no idea if it fitted or not.

I did find this source. Anyone have experience of this seller? Tempted and no other hop up parts seem to fit and deffo not buying the originals made of egg shells.

https://www.additiverc.com/

hi i just snapped mine on its maiden voyage also, luckily i had a maverick strada xb metal front shock tower laying around and it fits well,i just need to buy  the bit that screws on to hold the front of the bodyshell  check the second pic in my thread.I have also purchased a rear metal shock tower from a maverick strad xb which should be here in a few days so i will update if it fits but you do have to change the rear wing mount to a hsp one which i have also ordered. There is a absima ab3.4 for sale on the for sale page by madmonkey that has a metal rear shock tower, better wing holder that hes willing to sell seperatley

oh and buy the metal chassis plate for yours!!!!

i can find an exploded view of a maverick strada xb buggy if you need it

Edited by Strugglecuddle7

Thanks for the tips about the Strada XB shock tower fitting. Good to know.  I had a quick look on eBay buy couldn't see it. Could you please post a link to where you bought your rear shock tower.

I'm thinking of using velcro tape on the sides of the chassis to mount the body shell so no problem losing the front body shell mount. I am thinking those carbon fibre shock towers might be worth a punt at 11 quid. 

Let me know if that rear shock fits.

Thanks.

Nat

20 hours ago, RCNat said:

Thanks for the tips about the Strada XB shock tower fitting. Good to know.  I had a quick look on eBay buy couldn't see it. Could you please post a link to where you bought your rear shock tower.

I'm thinking of using velcro tape on the sides of the chassis to mount the body shell so no problem losing the front body shell mount. I am thinking those carbon fibre shock towers might be worth a punt at 11 quid. 

Let me know if that rear shock fits.

Thanks.

Nat

Modelsport do the maverick xb shock tower for £7 odd, I fitted all the bits today, bit of a pain as I had to find some more nuts and screws etc for the rear wing holder 

IMG_20210311_140752.jpg

IMG_20210311_140740.jpg

IMG_20210311_140732.jpg

Good news that both shock towers fit and looks good too! Fiddling with screws to make things fit is half the fun with these cars : )

I have now in my shopping cart at modelsport front and rear shock towers MV22731  / MV22732

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-front-shock-tower/rc-car-products/407443

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-rear-shock-tower/rc-car-products/407444

and the allu protection plate 1230492 all for about £24. Shock towers I think are generic ones so hope they fit.

Sorry if you already posted this, do the Strada XB arms also fit like these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maverick-Strada-XB-Aluminium-Arms/402726272917?hash=item5dc45b3f95:g:2UwAAOSw0KJgP64s

My only other question is for a few more quid I could but the carbon reinforced versions from Additive RC but I guess that can only be answered by trying both versions out hmmm

• Like 1

I reckon the shock towers should be fine, the car feels a lot more sturdy with them on! As for the carbon ones ...... its a suck em and see kinda deal! I shortly ran mine today without any issues just need to dial in the suspension, those metal arms you posted do look like the blue front ones i have on mine, my rears look different tho, give me a shout if you need any pics of mine oh and i had to find some longer screws for the botoom of the shocks that go into the metal arms.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know if there are stronger steering posts? Snapped the ball mount twice within a short space of time. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2021 at 15:46, Strugglecuddle7 said:

UPDATE -   Managed to get a great deal on some thicker alloy shock towers, they fit really well! Have some pics

IMG_20210407_135523.jpg

IMG_20210407_141808.jpg

IMG_20210407_141815.jpg

IMG_20210407_135533.jpg

IMG_20210407_135545.jpg

I've just got this kit and straight away got the alloy arms and bumper brace, but for the life of me can't find any shock towers for it, can you remember where you got yours from and if possible give me some links please,

Also did you find your drive shaft has loads of play and has this created any issues?

On 30/05/2021 at 19:17, Strugglecuddle7 said:

Got my shock towers off ebay, theyre supposed to be for the maverick strada range but seem to fit it fine, i upgraded to cvd's so i dont have any play,

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/435660

174631102984  ebay item number for front one

Perfect thanks, ordered the shock towers now 👌 I've already got the cvd shafts, I meant the main drive shaft, it just seems to have a fair bit of play in it, I finished building this morning and it's fun to fly it around, just need to tune the turnbuckles and get camber, toe and roll smoothed out to get better handling. Then some decent shocks will be next on the list

20210531_172619.jpg

20210531_072113.jpg

1 hour ago, Shadowbox23 said:

Perfect thanks, ordered the shock towers now 👌 I've already got the cvd shafts, I meant the main drive shaft, it just seems to have a fair bit of play in it, I finished building this morning and it's fun to fly it around, just need to tune the turnbuckles and get camber, toe and roll smoothed out to get better handling. Then some decent shocks will be next on the list

20210531_172619.jpg

20210531_072113.jpg

Nice! Mine handles rather badly, I need to tune the suspension too! I changed the rear wing holder on mine too as the original snaps really easily! Let me know if you want the eBay item number 

16 hours ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

Nice! Mine handles rather badly, I need to tune the suspension too! I changed the rear wing holder on mine too as the original snaps really easily! Let me know if you want the eBay item number 

Oh go on then, I might as well make it as durable as possible all round 👌thanks for your help 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jb5646 said:

Hey all been reading this thread for a while now 

has any one had any issues with halfshafts bending ??

only driven it a couple of times and managed to some how bend all 4 

If you mean the driveshafts/dogbones then upgrade to cvd's

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/435660?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0emHBhC1ARIsAL1QGNcZFJ9r81XB0zhCvsSTrfT-oo3iqVR7xMFJSdiqh8jOdNu6X9C7kxQaArrHEALw_wcB

• 5 months later...

I've got this kit ready to build. I've been collecting bit ready to go. I decided on a brushed set up for it. I've got two motors a Tamiya Superstock and a Tamiya Torque Tuned. I'll see which one it likes. Full Bearing Set, Carbon Fibre Suspension tops and(thanks to the "heads up" on here The Aluminium Chassis Plate to protect the front end. 

Peter

• Like 1