• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

fnknans absima ab3.4

fnknan

I'm gonna make a build thread for this thing cos it seems basically nobody has done it before. It's such a cheap car too so I feel it's gonna be attractive for a lot of people, Especially those just getting into the hobby, so all the mods that I do to this thing are gonna be posted on this thread 

Snapchat-1940174121.jpg

So at the point of that photo I had just built the kit. It's a pretty easy kit to build but you do realise there's a reason why it's so cheap. It came with bushings instead of bearings so I had to swap them out. I couldn't find any for this specific car, but luckily the entire front and rear ends are identical to the hsp xstr pro in terms of suspension and drive. So I ordered some xstr bearings and put them in.

The diffs have full ball bearings though which is good, it's just the wheel bearings that are actually bushings

Snapchat-2085636452.jpg

Snapchat-1776909430.jpg

Edited by fnknan
  • Like 1

In terms of electronics, I ordered up a turnigy trackstar 13.5 t combo with the 80amp ESC. Along with a low profile buggy servo that has about 9kg of torque and a speed of 0.08 at 6v. If I was to do it again I wouldn't buy a low profile servo because it doesn't fit without cutting out a bit of the servo mount. Other than that. I think I got it to look pretty good with all the red and the wires aren't too messy 😬😬

Snapchat-394750401.jpg

48 minutes ago, Ollykamakazi said:

Cool.
Will follow this as bought a friend one of these.

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

It's a cracking little car with a sick brushless setup for about £120. Took a beating yesterday.

Yesterday I put on my 100mm trackstar shocks to complete the look and to get threaded bodies. Don't really like using the preload clips... 

IMG_20191130_105759_compress32.jpg

Edited by fnknan
  • Like 1

Yesterday evening I took her out for a beating round the BMX track and then the skatepark and she handled pretty well, definitely needs gearing up as it wasn't even running hot and I've now got a new motor fan for it.

Also need to do some suspension tuning to stop it going nose down all the time in jumps.

Damage report:

Keep in mind it was almost 0 degrees at that time so the plastics were more brittle than usual

I broke the wing mounts and lost a bunch of screws connecting it, the wing itself is never gonna break I can tell just by looking at it but the wing mounts may be a cause for concern, I may have slightly weakened them by overtightening the support bracket when I built the thing IMG_20191202_212530_compress19.thumb.jpg.ab76111c5ad2f24f3d4fccb5a8e8311a.jpg

It's also very dirty

I also broke off the front bumper which I already knew is a weak point and it's not supported very well either, needs to be made of a more flexible or thicker plastic, at the very least it needs supports.

This would be a relatively minor break if it didn't break after the point where it connects to the chassis, so I either have to buy a new chassis to fix it, or just use q bond which I think is gonna work fine, and it's a lot less hassleIMG_20191202_212541_compress94.thumb.jpg.9b1f5bdb8f8361d6675c6f9c195d7b2d.jpg

Technically it still will drive fine, however the bumper secures the suspension pins in place which are connected via the silver bar you can see in the photo, this will definitely come out after some running which will leave it immobile.

To be fair to the car I crashed it into a step head on multiple times and it finally broke on the last one, then my battery died😩😩.

Still have yet to clean it lol 🤣

Should be completely fixed by the weekend👍

Edited by fnknan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to run 3s on this one pretty soon so I dashed a little fan in there with a heatsink to hopefully bring temps down. I also lowered the turbo and turned off the boost so hopefully I won't be frying any motors hehe.IMG_20191220_141822_compress19.thumb.jpg.1abf51a2248e6bd9384de59d1e259583.jpg

Only issue was that it didn't fit at all 🤣. Had to trim the central chassis brace and the body.IMG_20191220_141857_compress29.thumb.jpg.38655cbaf0496440c20eb00e6cd7fa9b.jpg Looks pretty cool with the exposed fan imo and its gonna provide a whole lot of extra airflow to the motor 👍

On 02/12/2019 at 21:35, Ollykamakazi said:

Shocks look like an improvement. I was amazed at how small it is.
Very light too.
Needs new rubber unless going on track.

Yeah it's quite slippery and has a lot of snap due to how small it is, so it's quite hard to handle sometimes. I think new tires are on the shopping list.

• 3 weeks later...

Checked up on the specs for the Turnigy trackstar 13.5t motor 80amp ESC combo and turns out it only takes 2s lipo yet I've already run it through a 3s pack and was just about to go out and run another 😬

Thank god it didn't blow up, bit of a bummer though as I only have 2 2s lipos :(

I'll have to ramp the boost up on the ESC and maybe gear it up a bit to get some more speed now that I got this new fan.

Fed up with the bumper breaking off so I'm just gonna leave it off and use these cable ties to hold the suspension pin in. 

I'm gonna think of a custom solution because I don't wanna buy a new chassis and bumper and spend ages changing it outIMG_20200109_230226.thumb.jpg.50c6cf6d56b411fceaf5c27f4665901a.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ollykamakazi said:

Can’t you fab a piece of thin ally plate?

Well actually I have an old bumper lying around somewhere that I could trim and mount that I was planning on using. The only issue is that it need more support.

Aluminium plate seems like a good idea, I'll look into it, but for now this'll have to do

• Like 1

Took the buggy out for a bash yesterday and I'm suffering from the usual issues of broken A-arms and wing mounts. These along with the bumper are the weakest points of the car.

IMG_20200111_134100.thumb.jpg.ad0d824933e0ae590945a5b156d8cc12.jpgIMG_20200111_134110.thumb.jpg.6224276a56d4edd03b8520e139ced7d2.jpg

I've broken two A-arms so far so I'm gonna upgrade to the aluminium ones when I break my last spare.

I can definitely glue them back together with Q-bond but I'd rather not have to do that every time I hit the rear end awkwardly.

I need a radio with multiple model memory now so I don't need to set trims every time I use a different car. Because turning on the car shot it into reverse and smacked it into a curb, breaking the wing mount, the A-arms broke when side-swiping a pole (yeah I'm a dead driver and wot)

So today I just made a very quick and steezy bracket to hold the mount together. I'm not gonna buy yet another wing mount, at least until I find a solution.IMG_20200111_133940.thumb.jpg.c450697c0f650273bdc74c7c265fe218.jpgIMG_20200111_133950.thumb.jpg.0811b4fed21013b08fc10e969915b27e.jpg

On the upside, I found a solution to the bumper breakage issue.

Modelsport sells a protection plate that is supposed to strengthen the front end. I assume to combat that weakness. Screenshot_20200111-160538.thumb.jpg.7e4719c4ba423f8dfb1f55f1473f2cc3.jpgScreenshot_20200111-160528.thumb.jpg.b8cb3328b429924d88e8b5896d85b9b2.jpg

So that's means I can buy a new chassis and bumper and not worry about it breaking. (hopefully 🤞)

5 hours ago, TrinityUTT said:

I took your advise and ordered this kit.
Cant wait till the weekend to start building it.

Ah fantastic. Let me know if you need any help 👍👍

Edited by fnknan

On 02/12/2019 at 17:16, fnknan said:

So at the point of that photo I had just built the kit. It's a pretty easy kit to build but you do realise there's a reason why it's so cheap. It came with bushings instead of bearings so I had to swap them out. I couldn't find any for this specific car, but luckily the entire front and rear ends are identical to the hsp xstr pro in terms of suspension and drive. So I ordered some xstr bearings and put them in.

The diffs have full ball bearings though which is good, it's just the wheel bearings that are actually bushings

Snapchat-2085636452.jpg

Snapchat-1776909430.jpg

Hello, can you please post a link to the bearings you bought. I need to also buy some. Thanks

Edited by Wattser

Hi all, can I please ask which ESC and Motors you have either fitted or would recommend?  I want to run the Buggy on either 2S or 3S Lipo's.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

For bearings, have a look on:

http://www.rcbearings.com/

I'd recommend rubber sealed, unless you're only running indoors or in the dry.

For ESC, I'd look towards the Hobbywing Quicrun series, aim for 50-60A

For motor, go on eBay and try to get something around 3200-3600kv if you want to run 2 and 3s branded GoolRC or Surpass. I'm guessing 3660 size is about right for these cars?

Just watch out for the motors with BIG heatsinks built in, they're smaller motors in a big heatsink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wattser said:

Hi all, can I please ask which ESC and Motors you have either fitted or would recommend?  I want to run the Buggy on either 2S or 3S Lipo's.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273760507626

I didn't get this one for the absima but this one can run 3s lipo as the one I have can't 

https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1429

These are the bearings, make sure you get rubber sealed ones, there's an option to choose them on the page

Edited by fnknan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1