• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Twin stick transmitter.

The Italian job

I'd stick with reputable brands. No need to spend hundreds of pounds, but i'd not get a china special for the connection between you and your RC. Get a Taranis Qx7 (£73), Spektrum DX6 (dunno, around £120 maybe), or hell: if you need a stick transmitter for a ground RC, just ergonomically, the FrSky X-Lite is probably by far and beyond your best bet. 

https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/frsky-taranis-radios/frsky-taranis-x-lite-24ghz-transmitter

Just bear in mind that a lot of 6 channel controllers will be for quads/planes etc so the sticks will move in 360 degrees rather than the straight up, down left and right.

On some you might be able to "lock" the gimbals in the controller to stop movement in the directions you don't want.

Also you might have to mess around with end point settings to get the switches to behave in the same way as they do on the stock TRX 4 controller.

There's a reason why people generally don't use them for cars. ;)

To my knowledge, there is no "car" stick transmitter, so whatever you get, you have to modify it anyway since, as mentioned, both sticks move in all directions ("360 degrees") - and one of the sticks (depending on if it's either mode 1 or mode 2, determining which stick is the throttle) doesn't have a return spring for up/down, so if you put it to 60%, the stick will stay there. 

At the very least, i'd argue, you need a return spring for the second stick. 

1 hour ago, The Italian job said:

so I might be better off getting the trx4 sport which only has 2 channels? then I can just use something like the carson I have for my cc01.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bit odd to limit your choice of car on the reluctance to switch to a pistol grip controller ;)