• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

R/C amphibious planes

Hi folks, so here is a question. I have been looking at gettingback in to R/C planes for ages now (actually previously a heli flyer, walkera 4#3b but quite capable), so between now and christmas will take the plunge. I have ordered a Flysky I6x along with reciever from ebay, and plan to practice on the computer until I am able to purchase the plane I want, this being a Durafly Tundra from hoobby king. One of the reasons I like this aircraft (aside the fact it is fairly friendly) is that it comes with floats for water!

So I guess my question, is what sort of waters would be suitable and how would I establish if I was in breach of any bylaws etc? I can understand anglers wouldn't be happy. And I would want to not disturb wildfoul too much. I guess resovouirs might be a good option if it would be allowed?

Has anyone any experience with flying planes from water?

I live in South Manchester btw..

• Like 2

I got the Tundra, i personally wouldn't launch it off the sea. At least i have never experienced calm enough water to be able to, you can't really get it behind the breaking waves (even if they're only small ones, they'll still be too high). At least not around here.

Generally, flights in nature reserves are restricted. As in, prohibited. I can't speak for your area specifically, but i've seen quite a few comments about that, bournemouth for example has such byelaws. You certainly should call and ask someone who is indeed qualify to answer those questions. Your best bet, probably, is to go here.

https://www.hemac.co.uk/

That's your local RC Plane club. 

Generally btw, if you disturb other people, it's safe to assume that it's not allowed to fly there. You can of course get lucky and have nice people sitting there that just aren't bothered by a plane whizzing around - but generally speaking. 

Also, you might have flight restricted areas/aerodomes in Manchester, if i'm not  mistaken you have an airport. You can check this here.

https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/geo-map

I personally would get in contact with that club, those people will be considerably more knowledgeable in regards to the manchester area (and applying byelaws) than we would be. Other than that, enjoy the Tundra, it's a great flyer. 

Thanks for the replys folks. Yeah might forget the sea lol. Was thinking well away from south manchester, possible Derbyshire or north of manchester. I think anglers would be the more problematic! It is clear you don't actually need a large body of water for this aircraft too.

Thanks for the link to hough end, I'll check them out!