• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MCD racing 5th generation

Kukynas

First of all,it s not your fault about anything.You kindly shared the information you had and i m thankful for that. Second,dont confuse experience with "database knowledge". I have 22 years of rc experience.Does that automatically grant me the ability to know every single clutch carrier size or know every single car clearances? Most definately not! Experience has nothing to do with this,if it did,i would have already broken in the engine by now.

MCD SHOULD list compatibles engines period!MCD should provide all the information a customer needs since he is PAYING to buy their product. Unless losi,hpi,arrma and all the other major manufacturers are stupid.

Last but not least,i didnt put any oversized engine anywhere. It s a stock zenoah. It s an off the shelf basic motor that i bought AS A BUNDLE WITH THE CAR. I didnt try to put a malossi or a polini engine in there,nor i tried to put a pocket bike engine. There is absolutely no excuse for all this.Anyway,i ve said enough,i ll hack it up and make it run

Edited by Cupra 313

10 minutes ago, Cupra 313 said:

First of all,it s not your fault about anything.You kindly shared the information you had and i m thankful for that. Second,dont confuse experience with "database knowledge". I have 22 years of rc experience.Does that automatically grant me the ability to know every single clutch carrier size or know every single car clearances? Most definately not! Experience has nothing to do with this,if it did,i would have already broken in the engine by now.

sorry I wrongly express myself, of course you can't know every single clutch carrier size, but it seems to me like by allowing you to buy such bundle they (wrongly) assumed you know enough and that's why you buying it.

14 minutes ago, Cupra 313 said:

MCD SHOULD list compatibles engines period!MCD should provide all the information a customer needs since he is PAYING to buy their product. Unless losi,hpi,arrma and all the other major manufacturers are stupid.

fully agree

14 minutes ago, Cupra 313 said:

Last but not least,i didnt put any oversized engine anywhere. It s a stock zenoah. It s an off the shelf basic motor that i bought AS A BUNDLE WITH THE CAR. I didnt try to put a malossi or a polini engine in there,nor i tried to put a pocket bike engine. There is absolutely no excuse for all this.Anyway,i ve said enough,i ll hack it up and make it run

I meant oversized as it doesn't fit (not by ccm), I've seen 46cc in it running without issues so... anyway before I would do anything else with it I would send them an email and ask them for explanation, it doesn't cost anything other than your waiting time but of course that's up to you...

done, thanks god, I don't wanna see carbon fiber for next few months 🤪, had to adjust 2 holes as the drill bit did slide off by 1-2mm but nothing drastic and flat head screw should cover it

IMG_2270.thumb.JPG.567e8dac40a102938d4439b25f318e09.JPG

• Like 2

forgot to grind off holes for Velcro straps so done that today... I can't remember when I had to put similar amount of DIY effort into any of my hobbies, unbelievable, hope the end result will pay it off 

IMG_2277.thumb.JPG.8b4c15b5386e2232501c79e927e54cb8.JPG

@Cupra 313 any progress?

finished the upper diff/motor mount locker 

IMG_2284.thumb.JPG.cabf5c27f9cbe6efaf809f369a335dba.JPGIMG_2285.thumb.JPG.ed8bb7e587e04f43fb39590306147705.JPG

and fitted and thread locked the battery trays, daughter was helping 👍 

IMG_2287.thumb.JPG.b5e0f978afcb2cfd9bba4f90a451583e.JPG

IMG_2288.thumb.JPG.8f3ba37ade8848afcec0e1941e3c77d7.JPG

tomorrow steering assembly, servo tray and couple of other bits but still unable to finish chassis due to missing rear motor mount and pinion, both still on the way from US/China

• Like 1

servo tray and servos installed, steering assembly as well but I ran out of 5mm screws and carbon fiber so need to wait for delivery to be able to continue

IMG_2291.thumb.JPG.239ce59ecd40fc1a2231abf36e4cb244.JPG

• Like 1

@Kukynas yeah,got it done and i already did 4-5 heat cycles on it...A few hick ups,discovered that both my k power servos are broken,so i put an old 15 years old hitec i found in my stash for now...Also couldn't find a servo horn in my entire country,so i 3d printed one...Surprisingly it held well.I have 4 more until i order a proper one.

The car sits way too low,i need to raise it. Also i need to put the 0 toe blocks as it wont see any dirt any time soon. One thing that i found weird is that my shock springs are too short. They are shorter than the threaded length of the shock body.Is that how they come from the factory? Yesterday i started working on the body. I m gonna paint it instead of decals and you re the one to blame for this one :P

Amazing work on your mcd,looks awesome and you re quite handy with the cf. Just dont breathe the shavings and the dust.

E0KUCvY.jpg

heJEP8w.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cupra 313 said:

The car sits way too low,i need to raise it. Also i need to put the 0 toe blocks as it wont see any dirt any time soon. One thing that i found weird is that my shock springs are too short. They are shorter than the threaded length of the shock body.Is that how they come from the factory?

I think you can raise it by 10-20mm with either or combination of different C-hubs position, different shock mounting position and preloading the springs

yeah I need to use different toe blocks for rear as well, I don't need such toeing for rear axle... shock springs are like this as standard, few mm shorter than the shock body allow, don't know why is that (combination of stiffness and overall suspension travel maybe ?) but still enough travel for on-road or rally duties, basically shock shafts are shorter than fully compressed springs so even if the springs are longer you would be limited be available shafts length travel 

20 minutes ago, Cupra 313 said:

Yesterday i started working on the body. I m gonna paint it instead of decals and you re the one to blame for this one :P

haha, of course :lol: , decided on livery? the one we were talking about?

16 minutes ago, Cupra 313 said:

Amazing work on your mcd,looks awesome and you re quite handy with the cf. Just dont breathe the shavings and the dust.

cheers, not quite handy must say otherwise didn't need to rework it 3x :lol: , yeah I'm using respirator  

Yeah, can’t wait to see mine running, it’s nearly a year since I’ve bought it and all I’ve seen so far is bunch of parts laying around my desk and shelf 😭😂

15 hours ago, Kukynas said:

Yeah, can’t wait to see mine running, it’s nearly a year since I’ve bought it and all I’ve seen so far is bunch of parts laying around my desk and shelf 😭😂

A year? Man that s insane! I dont have the patience for that. I need to get whatever i have running asap! Either being a 1/1 drifter or an rc model. I have spent countless nights with no sleep at all going straight to work in the morning...Which brings us to yesterday...

Had a day off,so i worked on the mcd 16 hours straight...It s almost done and it came out amazing. 1 roll of painters tape,1 roll of 3mm vinyl tape and another one 9mm vinyl tape. Everything is painted, no stickers whatsoever...

@Kukynas thanx man for persuading me to paint it 😃

959VwAC.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, I got other cars to play with so not big deal but sure I’d like to see this one finally running, hopefully soon 🙏

yours looks great and I’m glad you took the risk and paint it instead of decals, once finished  it’ll look even better 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2020 at 23:06, Kukynas said:

Wow, that looks excellent 😲👍

Thanx man! Here s another one with some decals on.I need to find the time to make the martini decals and finish it off. On another note,i need recommendations for a good steering servo and outerwears for the air filter

RY0u9Ow.jpg

• Like 2

Looks really great 👍, re servo I’ll be running JX PDI-HV2060MG, I bought 2 of them in case one isn’t enough (should be)

re outerwears for your filterI’m bit affraid I won’t be able to help, did you sorted out rear axle toe?

Hm,interesting...I m running 4 jx servos at the moment. 2 in one crawler which have been fine,one in another crawler fine as well and one in my drifter which is cr@p. This one is a little smaller than the one i was thinking:

https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/electrics/servos/hitec-d840wp-mega-scale-wp-servo.html?___SID=S

Yeap,set the rear toe to 0 degrees also lifted the car and tuned the shocks.It s a little snappy at the moment but i will sort it out eventually .I didnt run it much,the engine overheated because i haven t cut any holes to the body 🤦‍♂️. Sorted that as well

I’m mainly using JX servos for some time now and never had any problems with it so trying to stick to that brand, Hitec is usually top quality but this one is bit shy on power so maybe something bigger?

yeah, that’s one of the reasons I’m not running petrol, too much heat besides noise and I don’t like cutting holes into the shell