• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MCD racing 5th generation

Kukynas

This thread will be dedicated to MCD cars in general, why in general? because except few cosmetic (to me) changes cars shares most of the parts i.e. main chassis is always identical (except max version which is longer) and if it's not enough already than (as in my case I wasn't sure which to look at) there are conversion kits available i.e. XR5 to XS5 (cost ~160€) XR5 to RR5/W5 (cost ~320€) etc. so if you had enough playing with your on-roader just buy conversion kit (or just parts you think you need) and transform it into different car, not bad 😃

no, it's not new idea and other brands sharing same/similar concept but MCD in my opinion took it one step further and made design to simplify this conversion into as smallest amount of parts to swap as possible and top of that you are buying bit of great engineering which belongs to best on the market, yes some might argue these cars are expensive but if we compare them to cars from TLR or Losi they would be in same price bracket , same applies for spare or upgrade parts, if I consider cost of W5 SCT roller (990€) + brushless kit (135€) we aren't too far from cost of other competitive brands in same/similar setup such as DBXL-E but I doubt you can transfer your DBXL into 5ive-B for ~200€ but I might be wrong

and for those who wish to choose better parts/upgrades from start your distributor should be able to order car specifically based on your needs so you don't pay twice for original parts and than for upgrades, all such cars are built to order in Turkey during the standard build process of all of their cars (like any other 1:1 car factory when you choose options) that's what my local distributor told me

I'm currently waiting for price of my custom built car so will be able to tell you the difference later on

that its for now but in all cases I'm hooked 😃

• Like 1

Was looking at the XR5 rally at one point, it's still in my head :)

Find the range a bit confusing though, the ARTR says it is complete 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/mcd-racing-xr5-rally-competition-26cc-artr-painted-body-white/rc-car-products/425887

which is fine but there is also a ARTR without the painted body

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/mcd-racing-xr5-rally-competition-26cc-artr/rc-car-products/422848

which suggests it is the same kit as the previous one but with a un-painted body.

However, most other places that have it for sale say it also needs and engine, radio gear etc.

Both are specific models for UK market as RTR except one is with white (CW version) and second with clear body (C version) , if you don’t need motor and electronics you can have the roller for £890 directly from MCDracing.co.uk or custom version to your liking as said in my first post

Forgot to mention, in both UK version you might need to install motor and electronics by yourself as part of the kit but not 100% sure, just ask Modelsport if it’s packet or installed

Edited by Kukynas
Spellcheck

6 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

Both are specific models for UK market as RTR except one is with white (CW version) and second with clear body (C version) , if you don’t need motor and electronics you can have the roller for £890 directly from MCDracing.co.uk or custom version to your liking as said in my first post

Yeah but with the roller version not having an engine or electrics I would have expected it to be quite a bit less than £890 ;) 

Probably where my confusion is coming from, similarly priced but quite a difference in what you actually get.

https://www.kingcobra.co.uk/MCD-XR5-Rally-Competition-Rolling-Chassis_p_2074.html

£930 for the rolling chassis, against £999 for ARTR

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/mcd-racing-xr5-rally-competition-26cc-artr/rc-car-products/422848

Edited by markymarky

1 minute ago, Kukynas said:

Of course coz it’s bundle so it’s cheaper then if you buy it separately but are you gonna sell that motor and radio for £100 if you won’t use it? Maybe it’s worth more, no idea...

If I get one I would get the white painted bodyshell version anyway, can't paint or sticker to save my life and maybe at a later date I would think about a brushless conversion :)

I wouldn't consider the W5 ARTR anywhere near the 5ive T 2.0. It's nearly all plastic (plastic shocks on a 5th scale!?) and they are notoriously fragile cars. I know allot of people who race the W5 and they minimum they have is the Factory Spec, which with an engine and pipe is 2k minimum. It is the class leader in 5th scale SCT  though but lets not pretend you don't get that without spending considerable amounts of money.  

1 hour ago, mond said:

I wouldn't consider the W5 ARTR anywhere near the 5ive T 2.0. It's nearly all plastic (plastic shocks on a 5th scale!?) and they are notoriously fragile cars. I know allot of people who race the W5 and they minimum they have is the Factory Spec, which with an engine and pipe is 2k minimum. It is the class leader in 5th scale SCT  though but lets not pretend you don't get that without spending considerable amounts of money.  

After reading this saw this on YouTube

I will admit though it isn't stock plastic parts by the look of it ;)

For me I was toying with the on-road/flat grass rally style rather than a true off-roader so the plastic parts hopefully wouldn't prove too much of an issue.

2 hours ago, mond said:

did I said W5 is same or better than 5ive T 2.0? all brands have their own pros and cons, Losi might have better shocks in their RTR, MCD better drive train, do you believe anyone buying these cars will keep their cars in stock form? you always get what you pay for just choose your poison and I'm not pretending anything, if I get one It'll be factory team with further upgrades...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, toddfg said:

If you’re going brushless then getting the petrol version is a waste of time, speak to rik from rossendale models (sister company to king cobra) he might discount the price of the fuel tank on the roller

ae5010205ea67efff747c8a97bd547ae.jpg

are those yours? what's the one on right side?

39 minutes ago, toddfg said:

If you’re going brushless then getting the petrol version is a waste of time, speak to rik from rossendale models (sister company to king cobra) he might discount the price of the fuel tank on the roller

I would prefer the petrol version to start off with and maybe convert it at a later date.

So many ideas in my head at the moment, nothing is definite one way or the other about anything in particular right now  😂

• 3 weeks later...

found that Chinese are selling alu upgrade parts for Rovan F5 (basically direct clone of XS5) for reasonable money so there's an option for aftermarket parts, wouldn't touch their drive train or shock upgrades but anything else like braces, base plates or holders seems to be fine...

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/F5-ES5-5FC-MCD-RC-CAR-PARTS/4683114_515060334/1.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148361.2.3e2a5e1a7KvnM1&origin=n&SortType=bestmatch_sort&g=y

I bought it from RCfox, they have 5% discount at the mo and free delivery within Europe so after conversion from EUR cheaper than if you buy it in UK but yeah still a lot of bananas 🥴

this will be later converted to XS5 max and than to W5 max so 3in1

forgot to mentioned, didn't have to wait for MCD to build it for me according to my earlier specs (factory team with upgrades), they just released new version (Max Pro) which already contains all of it (except for front chassis stiffener and center diff) so got an oportunity to buy it with discount, cheaper and faster, here's the link https://www.rcfox.de/M00525001-MCD-Racing-XR-5-Rally-Max-Pro-Rolling-Chassis_1