• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MCD racing 5th generation

Kukynas

Well,time to join the MCD family.My xr5 max arrived a couple of days ago...First of all a big thanx to @Kukynas for all the help and the info on the subject!👍

Now on to the car...I didnt have time to tinker with it at all,just took a quick look around...I spotted a stupid assembly mistake on the front shocks(second photo)...I hope the rest of the car is ok,fingers crossed

If anyone s interested in following this more closely,feel free to follow me on instagram @thekreator87

0791Hg1.jpg

hFgNhMZ.jpg

• Like 1

@Kukynas maybe you can shed some light on the situation cause i m missing something obviously....Well how exactly do you set the gear ratio? I have a 25 pinion with 60 main and there are no settings on the black indicator for a 60 main gear. Just 64 and 62

Edited by Cupra 313

regarding mesh, you have it written on the chassis as combination of gear + pinion, starting with 82 up to 87 so in your case 85, accordingly you need to change position of holder between center diff mount and motor mount

regarding servos, steering servo tray is made for 1:6 scale (60mm) or 1:5 scale (66mm) you just have to cut it according to the line visible on the tray, bit pita but they wanted to make it universal, regarding brake servo it's 1:6 scale (60mm) or 1:8 scale (40mm) , 1:6 servos are usually available such as Kingmax DCS16942CHV or Power HD-1235MG or K-Power DMM300 or some Savox servos

I didn't plan to use original servo tray at all so I didn't have to deal with it...

here you go, pull out the left screw, loosen the one on the right, loosen all 3 metal plates holding the motor mount in place (red arrows, one in the back) and also pull out the screw on the holder between center diff mount top plate and motor mount (second picture) to be able to adjust the mesh

IMG_2261.thumb.JPG.0e588c6bede07e2f76ccb445a3d48c94.JPG

IMG_2262.thumb.JPG.a03dea0510c0b6faa0213f5d2ad45618.JPG

Just to be more precise, loosen just the top metal washer (those 3 holding the bottom motor mount plate) not the metal plates/washers bolted to the chassis, you are basically adjusting (moving) entire motor mount assembly, hope it’s clear otherwise I would film it for ya

That s a nice way to set the mesh until you get to do it!That s what i thought until i got my hands on it!

@Kukynas i ve been busting my mind for half an hour on why just the motor mount aligns and the mount with the motor on it wont.Until i found it.The rear disc brake hits the motor and it wont let it sit on the front right mounting plate completely.Unless it s something really simple and i haven t realised because i m a little agitated right now,i m leaning towards to award this car, the prize of the second worst car i own after the 30dnt

9fMHFAC.jpg

Edited by Cupra 313

there must be something wrong, there are at least another 2-3mm for the mesh, I don’t have petrol motor to test it myself but you should send an email to RCFox and ask how they fit it in coz this is weird, btw. there are 2 positions for discs, maybe each for different motor, check that first, but I think the outer one needs longer bolts

btw, I fully understand your frustration and can imagine you expected everything to be perfect from get go but not always and not everything works as we expecting, I never owned a RC car be it RTR or roller which was perfect (or perfectly set up) from start and always had to spend some amount of time and effort to make it working to my expectations and it's even harder when you are excited about your new car...I believe once everything's ironed out you'll be happy camper  

@Kukynas thanx man for the info once again! By moving the disc brakes to the second position the engine finally went in!!!The mesh is a little tighter than my liking,but beggars can t be choosers!Of course they dont supply the longer bolts,so now i have no rear brakes. Exhaust fitted,air filter fitted,i was planning to change the lines and the filter on the tank,but now i m too tired for that,going back in as is.

PS got to love 80-100mm long wood philips head screws🤦‍♂️

@.AJ. yeah apparently it is,and i was about to dremel it back to reality 😅

edit,forgot the photo

olCCeMK.jpg

Edited by Cupra 313
  • Like 2

I've seen guys on YT dremel their 320 but not in regards of MCD, can't remember the type of the RC car

yeah, those wood type screws are common in large scale (not only, Xray using them as standard), they have bigger bite than standard metric, of course you can buy aftermarket screws with hex head but they cost more, so far I had no trouble with philips head and you don't need crazy force to screw them tight you just need quality bits to not shred the screw head  

I will be upgrading those to hex head asap!Unfortunately i left the disc brake in there,with out the calipers...I believe i cant run the car with the disc dangling over there.As far as the longer brake screws go,what am i doing now?Also i believe there must be a spacer between the calipers and diff mount now,as they will move further out

yep, you need to put back those calipers, I forgot about something, even if you use longer brake screws you got to use the inner disk anyway coz the brake cam post which is pushing the caliper against the brake disc has just one nose size so I think you'll need to use dremel anyway 🙄

I was thinking about the same thing right now and i was going to edit my post...Actually the nose of the brake cam post is just a screw if i remember correctly. Theoriticaly i can use a longer screw and an aluminum spacer. What infuriates me is that there isn t a manual to tell you what to do...I have to guess and try things out and dremel stuff for a car that costs 2k and it was supposed to be ARTR! This is just ridiculous and i m being as polite as i can possibly be right now

Edited by Cupra 313

everyone in MCD world (read experience club drivers) assumes you know exactly what you are doing, you know that installing oversized motor needs some adjustments, or that when you are buying stuff you know exactly why you are buying this or that and you know exactly how to use it, this is not typical artr you find on the shelf in your hobby shop...

I'm not trying to defend MCD or distributor as they could do better job informing people how to and what to do with their cars and it's partially my fault not knowing this one might not fit but as I've seen bigger motors in MCD cars and people weren't complaining I didn't expect it might be a problem, again nobody knows everything, I don't know if MCD or distributor knows that G320 clutch carrier doesn't fit without dremel or if there's any other problem we didn't think/found about (hence the suggestion to send them an email)...

here's the manual http://mcdracing.com/support/s26/support.pdf, XS5 is the same except shell for which they have different build manual here http://mcdracing.com/support/s57/support.pdf