• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Markymarkys Losi 5ive B brushless

markymarky

1 hour ago, Leo said:

Which shipping option did everyone choose from amain?

I chose the most basic/cheapest method as paying more for delivery didn't significantly alter the delivery ETA.

As it is it turned up the best part of a week early compared to the date I had been given.

$161.74 all in with $11.75 of that being delivery.

£133.21 in pounds.

Edited by markymarky

Few bits turned up today, mostly paint along with a program card.

Also got a fan set up for the motor, bit miffed though as I tested it before hand and it worked fine then spent ages routing the wire to connect it back up and find that one fan now isn't working :banghead:

Maybe it is my fault though as I changed the BEC voltage from 6v to 7.4v although if it is that that has caused it it's strange that it only affected the one fan.

First test run and I couldn't resist getting it a bit dirty :)

Before and after pics.

a826f81268877064.jpg 8cc8a61268877094.jpg 

Certainly not lacking speed thats for sure.

Ran on a mix of off road and tarmac, motor not too warm either, was warmer running on road if anything which I was surprised about.

There is no shortage of power, able to wheelspin on grass even when already going at speed, need slightly better grip though, tyres let go quite easily.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Also noticed since the last run I appear to have some very fine pinion shavings going on.

There was a fine line appearing, nothing chunky but definitely something there that shouldn't be.

I have since removed the inserts and set the mesh manually, not really given it a run yet though but just pushing it across the floor it feels a bit looser and a bit less noisy.

Only just threadlocked the bolts into the mount so don't want to give it any stick for at least 24hrs. 

Would there be any real advantage to changing to a bigger lower KV motor?

Still going to be on 8S but was looking to maybe extent the runtime a bit.

Found this that looked worth a go, will need a different mount I know but still.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SURPASS-HOBBY-ROCKET-70120-620KV-Sensorless-Brushless-Motor-Parts-for-1-5-RC-Car/173896019137

That’s pretty much the same as the ZTW motor in mine, but rebranded... I would be careful because you would have to gear it up to get decent speed on 8s, the motor could then pull to many amps for your esc, that motor is normal paired with the ZTW 300a esc 

You won't gain anything. I run 520kv on 8S with an 18 tooth pinion, roughly the same speed as a 780kv with a smaller pinion, runtimes are comparable. 

Basically, to push the car along at a chosen speed requires X amount of power in Watts. How you achieve that amount of Watts can vary from high current from higher kv or lower current from lower kv.

The only way to really improve efficiency is to up the voltage and lower the kv, but even then you won't make a large gain in runtime because you're still burning the same amount of Watts to get the same speed. 

I hope that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1