• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What do you think of these. Any good

irtiash

Cheers buddy.

9 hours ago, irtiash said:

Of the two I'd get the SC - the MT has a design niggle that can't be overcome completely.  I'd also get the brushed version and add my own BL combo - will save a few quid - for the short course a 540 (standard 1:10 motor) of around 3000-3500kv works very well on 2S - the drivetrain will stand up fine.  The chassis itself won't fill you with confidence faster.  It's so light there's no need for 3s.  2S lipos are cheap too, so the old volt up gear down adage to add run time doesn't really work here.

I will add the Strada's are perfectly good starter RC - better than many of their contemporary's.  If you haven't realised they're are all pretty much the same base chassis - MT / SC/ XT etc.  Spares are cheap and easy to get hold of - because the basis chassis is a clone / copy / rebrand and sold under HSP/ Himoto and other brands spares can be had from the cheaper brands too.  Alu front hubs and carriers are a must upgrade in my opinion - under a tenner via ebay.  Rear hubs in alu are useful, and then the cnc alu upgrade shock towers (there isn't a SC version, so you have to use one of the others - iirc I used MT ones).  Stock alu towers are a little bendy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, UnkownRC said:

I was literally just looking at Mavrick Strada shourt course buggy. It looks decent but you might want to upgrade the battery to lipo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hence getting the brushed version and put your own BL combo in.  Little shameful they include NiMH with a BL rtr.

Cheers buddy.

Of the two I'd get the SC - the MT has a design niggle that can't be overcome completely.  I'd also get the brushed version and add my own BL combo - will save a few quid - for the short course a 540 (standard 1:10 motor) of around 3000-3500kv works very well on 2S - the drivetrain will stand up fine.  The chassis itself won't fill you with confidence faster.  It's so light there's no need for 3s.  2S lipos are cheap too, so the old volt up gear down adage to add run time doesn't really work here.

I will add the Strada's are perfectly good starter RC - better than many of their contemporary's.  If you haven't realised they're are all pretty much the same base chassis - MT / SC/ XT etc.  Spares are cheap and easy to get hold of - because the basis chassis is a clone / copy / rebrand and sold under HSP/ Himoto and other brands spares can be had from the cheaper brands too.  Alu front hubs and carriers are a must upgrade in my opinion - under a tenner via ebay.  Rear hubs in alu are useful, and then the cnc alu upgrade shock towers (there isn't a SC version, so you have to use one of the others - iirc I used MT ones).  Stock alu towers are a little bendy.
Thanks for such comprehensive info. Didn't ubderstand lots of stuff about upgrading lol. What's the best resource to learn all that

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Cheers buddy.

Are you saying chassis isn't strong enough. I bought my first rc car, used hsp. Hit a kerb, for some damage

I found a good video of the brushed version

It looks pretty good, not the fastest but you could upgrade it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So what does he mean. He changed the chassis to that of ecx one? f25aead0d8f93b70ffebe273d13853a4.jpg

I personally would go for the st version. Close to the MT without the niggles. If you can find that one for £95 then that’s a bargain. Timetunnel models often allow you to delete the battery and charger which are rubbish anyway but that only gets you to £100.

As mentioned, start with the brushed. If and when you want to go brushless a HobbyWing max10 for £90 is about the best 1/10 reasonably priced combo you can get. Far better than the standard brushless model.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irtiash said:

Are you saying chassis isn't strong enough. I bought my first rc car, used hsp. Hit a kerb, for some damage

I had a HSP an it hit a parked cars tire and bent the chassis and broke the from right wheel clean off, this was day one of owning it. It still hasn't got back from being repaired. It was an HSP Backwash

• Like 1

I had a HSP an it hit a parked cars tire and bent the chassis and broke the from right wheel clean off, this was day one of owning it. It still hasn't got back from being repaired. It was an HSP Backwash
Did you send it to hsp for repair

37 minutes ago, irtiash said:

With hpi going into administration is it bad idea to go for this

No.  As above the model is sold by many brands - HSP / Himoto and others.  Parts are everywhere,

You can't change the chassis for an ECX one, I assume he meant he bought an ECX to replace it.  You need to remember these are budget RC - I never snapped a chassis, did have a spare (£5 ish) but also didn't give it huge air or crash it into solid immovable objects.  At one time I had a nice supply of these from a friend in the trade - and sold a few on very cheap (£80 brushed).  A good RC friend bought one, fitted an insane 3S combo and had great fun with it - he replaced plastic with alu upgrades where needed and did fit the alu chassis from the nitro version.

• Like 2

No.  As above the model is sold by many brands - HSP / Himoto and others.  Parts are everywhere,

You can't change the chassis for an ECX one, I assume he meant he bought an ECX to replace it.  You need to remember these are budget RC - I never snapped a chassis, did have a spare (£5 ish) but also didn't give it huge air or crash it into solid immovable objects.  At one time I had a nice supply of these from a friend in the trade - and sold a few on very cheap (£80 brushed).  A good RC friend bought one, fitted an insane 3S combo and had great fun with it - he replaced plastic with alu upgrades where needed and did fit the alu chassis from the nitro version.

Thanks. Whenever you have time, would you be able to send me the links on ebay for all the recommended upgrades. Also any guide on YouTube on how to

Btw just ordered one for £95

Just now, irtiash said:

Btw just ordered one for £95

I'll take a look, usually easiest way is by sight from eBay - searching HSP alu and similar (or using the himoto / HSP parts list - the himoto one is usually online).

Enjoy it - treat it well, have reasonable expectations of a sub £100 RC and go from there.  The SC version was my first RC after 20yrs and now many years later i've often got 10 plus.

c

I'll take a look, usually easiest way is by sight from eBay - searching HSP alu and similar (or using the himoto / HSP parts list - the himoto one is usually online).

Enjoy it - treat it well, have reasonable expectations of a sub £100 RC and go from there.  The SC version was my first RC after 20yrs and now many years later i've often got 10 plus.

c
Thanks. If you can send me the link to the main parts I need to upgrade so that it becomes stronger would be great. Got this mainly for mu 9 year son. I've ordered a strada sc for myself

This is the alu hub set - price varies - sometimes much cheaper from China (or these pretend UK sellers)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgrade-Aluminum-Steering-Hub-Mount-set-102011-102012-for-HSP-1-10-RC-Car-R2J3/283449063027?hash=item41fee17673&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVNDDzHZQrbrjT2FY7s2Tlym7q0QL7Q55ggxIcmeKUPCzy53aYjW5lWploC6lHrgOiFsv4Aqp2zlGQdg2bpTyUK9eSU1fgcOM25h2K11x2935xJ5fYBxgifE0w2onWfv9URSTwqSgWzG%2F8kJvTPqbBPVDufm8aBCrX67P5vonqT0JJ08qTksAILop0ElC%2F2ll5Lh7NK7lebvlDQVvPmJNAsquAKj04KM7WpV4GuT4uHn1lbsZDZIJCQmx0RlFnW7%2F5h%2FKWlrPJ0Y%2BouqpQzmWF%2FVbqNp9V%2BsfQNuJQtAVsVTATOY68wBVyZqWIjsbZVyGz%2F1mq9i2bgmovi%2B%2BAxwqzKgmQstdIdNlBe%2FmYQ9fhLBNmyyme09aFNc6zWxwEwxGeiKkeYYKSOaRkRd3AZrxAWWjXbC6KH1uQ1DcohqJB4iaDLMS7SNPjGBzmPIFa3x0s6PG%2BbTDshmjfMlqEwSP38sqr1DGyl%2FjYm%2BXf3W1zug4WCcw2HjM3Lo3M826TaN57S3EbhAGFE2JK05cp2ZaUrUvO7eU%2BMC75LImbLA8TGjFgccesH%2Bqym5jjIYonlRzi0Zeq060ZnbGJ7fhhFVISnt4AzBUzlCZw1DDqFMt1qOh%2FusjcNof4OdVV0vaD%2Fgnmmfw8RA2%2BUI6cnlleFO6l%2BEB2nWuEy%2BQZVAmHU9za8mUCq1bbgq%2FH%2Frpx4RngHK3WNDX39BQ5o3yI07aeoGcQX2gp%2FPmVSv7yIl8y05U%2BJ1vvCAAZuUoKdiG0vTRC%2F9AgkxCEWbpAORs%2FN2vqjDLnRVyychcwpcWvf3I63rYifhqs6hVScTqdbFUTYikD3tnxxIJQO6qyeSM0eNB1%2F2QSkg9GRHrSoDJxn4qvirMSP3s4BoJxmOyEyeyzERKMGXKeRpy0FtdFBTVeLTKV6N29IL7hKr6Uqs6wBd%2BK7IMmsM4TSleviMcqErrSR3xC2jmrAqa0pkJOcCcj0qEIjYPU4g%3D%3D&checksum=2834490630279467556806ec4bf19ca33dff72bfc807

Beware some sellers charge a massive premium for the same items.  Expect the bearings to be budget at best - replace with some semi decent ones from rcbearings.co.uk.

If I get another 5 minutes i'll see if I've kept a manual for one of the himoto's / HSP variants - and scan the upgrade page at the back - it lists part numbers for all upgrades.

This is the alu hub set - price varies - sometimes much cheaper from China (or these pretend UK sellers)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgrade-Aluminum-Steering-Hub-Mount-set-102011-102012-for-HSP-1-10-RC-Car-R2J3/283449063027?hash=item41fee17673&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVNDDzHZQrbrjT2FY7s2Tlym7q0QL7Q55ggxIcmeKUPCzy53aYjW5lWploC6lHrgOiFsv4Aqp2zlGQdg2bpTyUK9eSU1fgcOM25h2K11x2935xJ5fYBxgifE0w2onWfv9URSTwqSgWzG%2F8kJvTPqbBPVDufm8aBCrX67P5vonqT0JJ08qTksAILop0ElC%2F2ll5Lh7NK7lebvlDQVvPmJNAsquAKj04KM7WpV4GuT4uHn1lbsZDZIJCQmx0RlFnW7%2F5h%2FKWlrPJ0Y%2BouqpQzmWF%2FVbqNp9V%2BsfQNuJQtAVsVTATOY68wBVyZqWIjsbZVyGz%2F1mq9i2bgmovi%2B%2BAxwqzKgmQstdIdNlBe%2FmYQ9fhLBNmyyme09aFNc6zWxwEwxGeiKkeYYKSOaRkRd3AZrxAWWjXbC6KH1uQ1DcohqJB4iaDLMS7SNPjGBzmPIFa3x0s6PG%2BbTDshmjfMlqEwSP38sqr1DGyl%2FjYm%2BXf3W1zug4WCcw2HjM3Lo3M826TaN57S3EbhAGFE2JK05cp2ZaUrUvO7eU%2BMC75LImbLA8TGjFgccesH%2Bqym5jjIYonlRzi0Zeq060ZnbGJ7fhhFVISnt4AzBUzlCZw1DDqFMt1qOh%2FusjcNof4OdVV0vaD%2Fgnmmfw8RA2%2BUI6cnlleFO6l%2BEB2nWuEy%2BQZVAmHU9za8mUCq1bbgq%2FH%2Frpx4RngHK3WNDX39BQ5o3yI07aeoGcQX2gp%2FPmVSv7yIl8y05U%2BJ1vvCAAZuUoKdiG0vTRC%2F9AgkxCEWbpAORs%2FN2vqjDLnRVyychcwpcWvf3I63rYifhqs6hVScTqdbFUTYikD3tnxxIJQO6qyeSM0eNB1%2F2QSkg9GRHrSoDJxn4qvirMSP3s4BoJxmOyEyeyzERKMGXKeRpy0FtdFBTVeLTKV6N29IL7hKr6Uqs6wBd%2BK7IMmsM4TSleviMcqErrSR3xC2jmrAqa0pkJOcCcj0qEIjYPU4g%3D%3D&checksum=2834490630279467556806ec4bf19ca33dff72bfc807

Beware some sellers charge a massive premium for the same items.  Expect the bearings to be budget at best - replace with some semi decent ones from rcbearings.co.uk.

If I get another 5 minutes i'll see if I've kept a manual for one of the himoto's / HSP variants - and scan the upgrade page at the back - it lists part numbers for all upgrades.

Great. Thanks

On 22/04/2019 at 10:07, irtiash said:

With hpi going into administration is it bad idea to go for this

One of the HPI Racing companies has gone into administration, it doesn't necessarily mean the company will stop trading.

Even if they did, HSP parts will fit. The only parts unique to the maverick range are the moulded chassis, top deck and motor mount, as HPI swapped the battery and motor over to differentiate the models. If Maverick did disappear you would just use HSP parts, although considering the price difference it's cheaper to use HSP parts, even if you buy them from the UK supplier.

A the short course truck is based in the HSP XSTR with the bumper and body mounts from the HSP Lightning, you can find the HSP part codes for the common upgrades here https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/upgrades/hsp-racing/high-speed-xstr-buggy-upgrades-hop-ups.html

• Like 1