• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

$140 of drone damage in a single hit!

War Chest

I used to have a Hubsan X4 Pro H109S and I had a pretty bad crash with that whilst flying in a valley.

I was on a new (fully charged) Lipo flying around up at maybe 100-150 metres as I had been earlier the same day. I decided to bring the quadcopter down a bit but it seemed to hold it's altitude rather than start coming down. After 60 seconds or so I got a low battery warning on my controller so I shut down the camera in an attempt to preserve some more battery power (the camera has it's own battery but the 3 axis gimbal used power from the drones Lipo). 

The wind at high altitude as well as updrafts must have been much stronger than I realised as my battery depleted much faster than I have ever experienced with the drone before. I managed to bring it down to about 20-25 metres from the ground before the motors just shut down and it dropped like a stone. ? 

No footage saved from the crash but this was earlier footage taken on the same day before the crash to show the valley I was flying it in. 

The damage was as follows; 

Lipo battery (£75/$98), body shell (£41/$54), landing gear legs (£19/$25), LED lampshade (£5/$6), camera & gimball lead (£5/$6) and battery door (£?/$?) so around the £145/$190 mark. 

I kept the cost down though by repairing the body shell using epoxy, ignoring the broken LED lampshade and repairing the battery door. I had another two batteries so just accepted the loss of my third which I didn't replace. 

R/c can be an expensive hobby at times but the rewards and enjoyment I think makes it all worth while.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2019 at 16:12, GMballistic said:

I used to have a Hubsan X4 Pro H109S and I had a pretty bad crash with that whilst flying in a valley.

I was on a new (fully charged) Lipo flying around up at maybe 100-150 metres as I had been earlier the same day. I decided to bring the quadcopter down a bit but it seemed to hold it's altitude rather than start coming down. After 60 seconds or so I got a low battery warning on my controller so I shut down the camera in an attempt to preserve some more battery power (the camera has it's own battery but the 3 axis gimbal used power from the drones Lipo). 

The wind at high altitude as well as updrafts must have been much stronger than I realised as my battery depleted much faster than I have ever experienced with the drone before. I managed to bring it down to about 20-25 metres from the ground before the motors just shut down and it dropped like a stone. ? 

No footage saved from the crash but this was earlier footage taken on the same day before the crash to show the valley I was flying it in. 

The damage was as follows; 

Lipo battery (£75/$98), body shell (£41/$54), landing gear legs (£19/$25), LED lampshade (£5/$6), camera & gimball lead (£5/$6) and battery door (£?/$?) so around the £145/$190 mark. 

I kept the cost down though by repairing the body shell using epoxy, ignoring the broken LED lampshade and repairing the battery door. I had another two batteries so just accepted the loss of my third which I didn't replace. 

R/c can be an expensive hobby at times but the rewards and enjoyment I think makes it all worth while.  

Great call on using the epoxy to save some money.  Does the quadcopter fly the same after?

On 12/04/2019 at 18:51, War Chest said:

Great call on using the epoxy to save some money.  Does the quadcopter fly the same after?

The quadcopter flew the same after the repairs yes. 

I was worried my battery door repair might have upset the weight balance of it but it didn't make any difference to it as far as I could tell when flying it. I did use a plastic car number plate screw (yellow part in pic) and rubber battery strap in my repair so the weight added was minimal. 

Edited by GMballistic