• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ROSSA 2019 DATES!!!!

pieman5

51548020_638552736578529_5749636564120502272_n.thumb.jpg.0ddf7333c312795b560440ccd10f1193.jpg

Hi guys.

So far we have 2 confirmed events happening this year :)

First event is our first ever 3 day meetup, 22nd to 24th june.

Second planned event is a 2 day meet, 17th to 18th august.

These events are always an insane amount of fun, the fastest official cars in the UK all in one place. 

Its awesome to see rc's going sooo quickly, so spectators are more than welcome (for free)

If you fancy competing or coming down to have a look, please visit out facebook page HERE

Can also take a look at our youtube for a few vids HERE

Cheers guys?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

This is sounding really interesting to me as I'm into speed runs with my Arrma Typhon 6S. Albeit a complete newbie at speed runs. 

Can you expand a little more please on what the days involve, time tables, fees, classes, how to enter etc as I don't have a Facebook account. 

I live in South Wales so although it would be a 3.5hr drive I'm not totally adverse to that to see what this event is like, ...although I may have to sweet talk my Mrs as it's her Birthday then so dragging her to an R/c event might not go down well. Ha ha. ?

Also on a side note:

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get "Mod 1" (5mm bore) pinion gears would you? 

Looking for 30T and above like 32T etc but finding it difficult to source on eBay Uk. Lots are available in the USA but then the costs are pretty high with postage. 

Thanks again for any info. 

There arent really any set time tables. We camp just down the road so we can get there nice and early (like 8am) and be running asap each day.

I general day would usually be up and running by 9ish depending on weather. As long as no one is on track you are good to go, we usually dont give set times to people, just sort of let everyone know you are ready to go and if theres no "queue" or any issues you can go through the traps.

Fees is difficult as we pay a flat rate to use the site per day, and that gets split between us so the more people competing the cheaper it will be per head. Last year we paid roughly £120 each with 10-11 paying entrants. Hoping to have a few more people this year, bet there is always a solid group of at least 10 of us there :)

You can find all the classes and rules http://www.rossa.org.uk/classdefinitions.html With a 6s typhon you'd be running in the open wheel class.

A lot of us travel huge hours to get there ? My own journey is around 4 hours, but the site is a dream so speed running. Its absolutely huge and so smooth its well worth it.

Most of us use RW Racing for pinions. His normal mod 1 pinions only go to 25t but send him over an email as he's always willing to make custom gears, and they are proper top quality hardened steel. Cant beat them.

The only "stock" pinion i can think of is the one the X-01 uses https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traxxas-Gear-34-T-pinion-1-0-metric-pitch-20deg-pressure-angle-fi-Z-TR/202444734531?hash=item2f22a58043:g:CIwAAOSw15ZbpS6L:rk:35:pf:0

Hope this helps

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pieman5 said:

There arent really any set time tables. We camp just down the road so we can get there nice and early (like 8am) and be running asap each day.

I general day would usually be up and running by 9ish depending on weather. As long as no one is on track you are good to go, we usually dont give set times to people, just sort of let everyone know you are ready to go and if theres no "queue" or any issues you can go through the traps.

Fees is difficult as we pay a flat rate to use the site per day, and that gets split between us so the more people competing the cheaper it will be per head. Last year we paid roughly £120 each with 10-11 paying entrants. Hoping to have a few more people this year, bet there is always a solid group of at least 10 of us there :)

Most of us use RW Racing for pinions.

Thanks for the links to RW Racing/pinion gear but the other link with the rules & regulations didn't work, ...can you try that one again please? 

It sounds good but I'm really just starting out at speed runs so £120 is a lot of money for me especially as I may only be up for one day like the Saturday or maybe two at a push. 

If I came say for one day though to see what it's all about, how it's run and to try out my Typhon (providing I met the rules) could I do that? 

You know and pay a smaller cost to do it? 

Currently only got one Lipo battery as it was pretty expensive considering so easing into the spending. Ha ha. 

I'm definitely really interested in coming though. ? 

Oh sorry, heres the link again http://www.rossa.org.uk/classdefinitions.html

You are welcome to come for just a day yeah, and at reduced cost.

£120 is just a rough guide also, depending on how many turn up it could work out a lot less.

As i said, people dont have set time solts to run or anything so you just run when you are ready really.

Even if you do just come for a day, it will be well worth it trust me. Seeing rc's doing over 150MPH is just insane :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. Working now. 

I definitely want to come up and I'm slowly convincing the Mrs that going up to North Wales will be a birthday treat for her as well.

Do you have a post code for the Sat Nav please? 

My names Gareth btw. Might go up on the Friday evening or Saturday morning and see what it's all about weather dependent.

Will make a firmer decision closer to the event. 

The best postcode to use is LL45 2LR

That takes you onto the road, then you just follow the signs for the Shell Island Campsite and its just before you reach it on the left hand side :)

Be good to see if new face if you do decide to come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pieman5 said:

The best postcode to use is LL45 2LR

That takes you onto the road, then you just follow the signs for the Shell Island Campsite and its just before you reach it on the left hand side :)

Be good to see if new face if you do decide to come.

So the runway entrance where you run is just on the left then before the campsite? 

Looks beautiful on Google maps, ...the runway that is. ? 

• 2 months later...

Free bump and @pieman5 I trust everything still on for this event? 

Looking forward to this. ?

Do you know of any cheap B&B's in the area? 

Only asking because I don't have camping gear etc and just thought rather than buying gear etc a cheap hotel/B&B would be better value as it would probably be for just one night. Was thinking of travelling down early Saturday to either come over that day or the Sunday. 

• 1 month later...

Hi sorry for late reply.

All is still on yeah, not long to go now :D

Not sure about hotels etc, i only camp when i go.

I know a few people pay to use a caravan for the weekend, however im not sure where that is either.

The area is pretty remote, so cant see anything cheap being too close really.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2019 at 20:23, pieman5 said:

Hi sorry for late reply.

All is still on yeah, not long to go now :D

Not sure about hotels etc, i only camp when i go.

I know a few people pay to use a caravan for the weekend, however im not sure where that is either.

The area is pretty remote, so cant see anything cheap being too close really.

That's okay I know not everybody has time to be on forums everyday. 

I decided to buy a tent and blow up mattress so looks like I'm camping too. Booked in with Shell Island for the Saturday night, ...is that where you are? 

I'm really excited. 😁 

Any tips?

What time are you starting on Saturday? (so I can plan how early to leave)

Are there toilets at Shell Island or should I bring a spade?! Ha ha.

Yeah im staying at shell island on the friday, saturday and sunday nights :) A few others are too, but not everyone.

Id imagine we will be on site around 8, 8:30 ish. Saturday is the first day so will take us a bit longer to setup. A safe bet will be to say we will be up and running by 10 at the latest.

Shell island is a huge venue, and really well equipped :) Has loads of toilets, a restaurant and even a few shops lol. You'll be fine. Pretty sure we also have use of on-site toilets this year too.

As for tips, bring a coat, even if its nice weather it can get very windy. Charge you lipos either the evening before or early morning. If you have a gazebo that might be handy to bring, we have 3 or 4 there but usually isnt much extra space, also a table to work on. .

If i think of anything else ill add it to this post lol.

Cya there 👍

• Thanks 1

That's cool and thank you for the info. 

I'm travelling up with my Mrs so we might aim to get there around 10-10:30 or thereabouts just to give you all time to get sorted as well as because we will be having an early start to drive up. 

Really excited to see what everyone else is running. I've already made one good friend (Martin) who's been helping me out already with tips and help so be nice to hopefully meet a few other like minded individuals. :thumbsup:

Will there be any signs BTW pointing at the entrance into the runway?

And what is the protocol? ...like park up in a certain area? Come sign in or register with someone?

Yeah Martin is a top lad, given me loads of advice too. Just to make it awkward im also a Martin but everyone just calls me Pie or Pieman lol.

We dont have any signs, and as soon as we are in the airfield we have to lock the main gate. Its hard to miss the airfield though, if you follow that postcode i gave you then stay on the road it puts you on, you'll see it on your left.

When you get to the gate, someone will either have to meet you there to let you in, or ring you and give you the code.

The earlier you can arrive the better really, but either way we'll get you sorted.

We all the park on the grass. behind the gazebos we set up, WELL AWAY from the run area 😂

There isnt any signing in or anything. Stu (the organiser) may want a quick look over your car to check failsafes and safely etc.

Also, not sure if i mentioned this, but everyone racing has to be part of the BRCA so that we are covered for insurance.

If you arent already a member try and do that asap (only costs £20 and makes sure you are fully covered) You get a membership card which takes about a week to arrive, but as its short notice the confirmation e-mail should be fine 👍

• Thanks 1

Thank you Martin. 

I did notice a post on the ROSSA Facebook page (although I am not on Facebook) about needing the BRCA membership for insurance so I've already got that sorted. Got my card. 

I've got Martin's number so could give him a ring when I get to the gate if I can't see anyone coming to let me in. No problem with anyone checking out my R/c (safety first of course). 

I'll try to get there as early as I can but my Mrs isn't as keen as me for some reason. :lol: 

Hope to meet you soon then.

20 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Thank you Martin. 

I did notice a post on the ROSSA Facebook page (although I am not on Facebook) about needing the BRCA membership for insurance so I've already got that sorted. Got my card. 

I've got Martin's number so could give him a ring when I get to the gate if I can't see anyone coming to let me in. No problem with anyone checking out my R/c (safety first of course). 

I'll try to get there as early as I can but my Mrs isn't as keen as me for some reason. :lol: 

Hope to meet you soon then.

Ah nice one! Just remember to bring your card then and show Stu before you start.

The main gate is quite far away from the strip so we might not see you, best off to give Martin a ring when you arrive.

Yeah see you there soon :) 

9 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Enjoy guys, not sure how many of my ex RC's are running now!  I spy Brett in the pic, and Martin's yellow rocket.  Hobao really should be bunging him product.

Thanks dude. Yeah most of the same lot still show up :) Brett cant do this event but will be back at the next one in august.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was nice to meet you Martin and put a face to the name. 

Fantastic weekends "racing" and anyone thinking of doing this should definitely come along and try it. Can't wait for August now. :thumbsup: 

Was good too meet you too dude :) Congrats on your first official 100mph run!!

Glad to hear you'll be back for August.

I got a few good vids of your Typhon, i'll try and post one here when its all been sorted through 👍

• Thanks 1

That'd be great ~ I did sign up to FB as you know as well. 

I wanted to ask you a question: Do you remember we were talking about the rear carbon wings. You mentioned something about people using helicopter parts or something on the wings or as the wings I think. Do you have a llink by any chance to the sort of thing? 

I've bought a carbon fibre plate to use but need to find some carbon fibre end bits. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Yeah ive seen a few people use chopped down heli wings turned upside down to create a nice bit of rear downforce, however i think this is mostly used on-road cars.

With a buggy i think you are better off using a flat bit of plate and attaching fins to it.

Im not really too knowledgeable on wings tbh. Im speaking to Martin and Stu about it at the moment as i need something better for my mini buggy.

Martin is deffo the best person to ask, hes sending me some pics later so that i can get an idea of what to do. 

What I've got for mine is a flat piece of carbon fibre from eBay. 

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fibre-Sheet-Tiles-Plates-Rectangles-200mm-x-40mm-x-4mm-Gloss-Twill-Weave/333003336822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I'm just going to make some "L" shape brackets out of aluminium to go on the ends (fixed with screws/nylocks most likely or epoxy) but I need some carbon end pieces. 

Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tarot-450-Parts-Carbon-Fibre-Balance-Wing-TL2331/173180747982?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140813110652%26meid%3D13348b7a8d254094b0cca86eeccbdefd%26pid%3D100275%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D333003336822%26itm%3D173180747982&_trksid=p2060778.c100275.m3474

It's okay if you don't know but let me know if Martin does fill you in with where to get some if you don't mind. Just let me know on here or FB. Thanks.