• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/5 scale Exhaust hose coupling material

Vr5fx

Might be an odd one for some, but has anyone got a decent alternative material for joining the exhaust together (header + main pipe)

Every kind of silicone tube I have used melts after 2 or 3 runs, which some are rated at 200 - 250 degrees

I tried using an aluminium can cut and rolled but ended up blowing holes in the first use.

The exhaust I use has the header near the exhaust port of the engine, and one side of the join is larger than the other, as it sits inside itself.

I'd consider getting it welded as 1 piece, but I have to take the exhaust off on a regular basis, so that's not an option, and don't want to ruin the header threads.

Pipe I'm using is a riot stampede silenced side pipe

Cheers chaps.

34 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

Might be an odd one for some, but has anyone got a decent alternative material for joining the exhaust together (header + main pipe)

Every kind of silicone tube I have used melts after 2 or 3 runs, which some are rated at 200 - 250 degrees

I tried using an aluminium can cut and rolled but ended up blowing holes in the first use.

The exhaust I use has the header near the exhaust port of the engine, and one side of the join is larger than the other, as it sits inside itself.

I'd consider getting it welded as 1 piece, but I have to take the exhaust off on a regular basis, so that's not an option, and don't want to ruin the header threads.

Pipe I'm using is a riot stampede silenced side pipe

Cheers chaps.

Put up a picture of your pipe 

You'll need some high temp silicone hose dude... Exhaust hose... or 'marine' exhaust piping

Vetus do some 

https://www.vetus-shop.com/vetus-high-temperature-calorifier-hose-13mm-id-p-1092.html

Theirs also ebay sellers... This is supposedly rated for upto 200c

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-BLUE-Top-Quality-Heat-Resistant-High-Performance-Silicone-Vacuum-Hose/201061979725?hash=item2ed03a564d:g:knsAAMXQeKNTNXBd

Either way... you get the idea??

18 hours ago, KORB said:

Put up a picture of your pipe 

This is the join that's giving issues.

IMG_20190205_170024

IMG_20190205_170040

17 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

You'll need some high temp silicone hose dude... Exhaust hose... or 'marine' exhaust piping

Vetus do some 

https://www.vetus-shop.com/vetus-high-temperature-calorifier-hose-13mm-id-p-1092.html

Theirs also ebay sellers... This is supposedly rated for upto 200c

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-BLUE-Top-Quality-Heat-Resistant-High-Performance-Silicone-Vacuum-Hose/201061979725?hash=item2ed03a564d:g:knsAAMXQeKNTNXBd

Either way... you get the idea??

But as above, hi temp hose doesn't work, as it just melts. The stuff I use is rated to 250c, and only lasts 2 or 3 outings before it breaks down completely.

One side of the join has a OD or 25mm, the other side is 22mm. So most hoses will fit one end, but not the other too well.

With the ones you linked, both of those wouldn't last long either, and I've never been able to find anything over 250c.

• Thanks 1

Very interested in this as i have the same issue on my DBXL, tried a couple of pipe options and tried wrapping joint with exhaust heat wrap but this didn't give the rigidity needed.

Got to be a fix out there

Cheers

Dave :)

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:17, Vr5fx said:

This is the join that's giving issues.

IMG_20190205_170024

IMG_20190205_170040

But as above, hi temp hose doesn't work, as it just melts. The stuff I use is rated to 250c, and only lasts 2 or 3 outings before it breaks down completely.

One side of the join has a OD or 25mm, the other side is 22mm. So most hoses will fit one end, but not the other too well.

With the ones you linked, both of those wouldn't last long either, and I've never been able to find anything over 250c.

Those two holes are for high tension springs which pull the exhaust together and that is why hose(s) wont fit properly. 

Below is what you need and these springs can be bought from any hardware store.  You can also use 1/8th exhaust springs!

springs.jpg

Edited by KORB
wrongly worded

54 minutes ago, KORB said:

Those two holes are for high tension springs which pull the exhaust together and that is why hose(s) wont fit properly. 

Below is what you need and these springs can be bought from any hardware store.  You can also use 1/8th exhaust springs!

IMG_20190211_202242

Maybe I should start again.....

This is how I currently have it setup. After a tank the cable ties will have melted off, I can't use a jubilee clip, as to get it tight enough on the one end of the join it cuts into the tube and then it's pointless. I could use metal cable ties, but again, I'll be constantly replacing them and running into the risk of cutting into the tube.

After 2 or 3 weeks, and a dozen cable ties, the reinforced silicon tube (rated at 250c) will have melted to the point it is no longer effective, so the exhaust starts blowing residue all over the back end.

25 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

IMG_20190211_202242

Maybe I should start again.....

This is how I currently have it setup. After a tank the cable ties will have melted off, I can't use a jubilee clip, as to get it tight enough on the one end of the join it cuts into the tube and then it's pointless. I could use metal cable ties, but again, I'll be constantly replacing them and running into the risk of cutting into the tube.

After 2 or 3 weeks, and a dozen cable ties, the reinforced silicon tube (rated at 250c) will have melted to the point it is no longer effective, so the exhaust starts blowing residue all over the back end.

I wouldn't bother with the hose, if you've got the seal ring inside the wider pipe you won't need the hose or cable ties so long as the springs are taut enough ( you should have to force the springs on if taut enough ?)