• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Revo 3.3 project

wiggles

So I bought a revo 3.3 roller with a very homemade looking motor mount and battery tray  for £100, fitted 17mm hexes and wheels, hobbywing ESC and "castle" 2650kv motor ... Surprisingly actually works well but 10 minutes of running I shattered a pinion went home and swapped it and it ran amazing on the flat but as soon as it landed a  jump it trashed a gear in the transmission...

MVIMG_20181009_101745

MVIMG_20181009_101728

MVIMG_20181010_101609

I was thinking about selling it but it owes me about £200 all in and seems like a good project to keep me busy with. So the question is do I buy a Robinson racing metal gear set for the transmission?

Or do I buy an erevo chassis and transmission? I believe I need the centre driveshafts as well to make that work but seems like the better option as will make use of better weight distribution for batteries etc

After a bit of research I think I'm just going to do erevo conversion... Makes sense to me as although I'm about 10 years behind on converting a revo loads of old stuff online says it still smashes gears and shafts in the 3.3 transmission with metal gears.

Chassis is easy to find, transmission can be ordered from USA as one full price for $80ish going to add up the cost of the individual prices and work out how much it is to build my own

Have now ordered a matching transmission from USA also (as there ate a few places breaking new models on eBay) i plan on ordering some aftermarket driveshafts and probably needs diffs as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Started by swapping the from end onto the erevo chassis, all fits fine I will need some links for the steering from an erevo as servos are in a different position and I'm fairly sure I will need at least the centre driveshafts, I will use the 3.3 diffs to start with but I'm not expecting them to last long

https://imgur.com/gallery/4TqgeXR

• 6 months later...

After all this stuff sitting in a box for a few months I'm back on the project...

Got erevo 2.0 diffs and centre driveshafts on the way so can start to put it together and figure out what else I need to make it work and buy upgraded parts from the off rather than. Just buying an erevo then buying the parts on top...

I already have V2 chassis and the diffs/bulkheads are coming as one complete part ?

For reference 3.3 diffs/bulkheads fit straight on the V2 chassis, as they are smaller 

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Weirdly almost a year to the day that last posted this thread.

Reviving it as planning on finishing the project.

Currently have 2.0 Erevo chassis, gearbox/motor mount, and front and rear diffs/bulkheads.

I kind of forgot how far I got, I know I need driveshafts and some steering linkage parts. But unsure if I'm gonna need to use Erevo knuckles and arms etc which will obviously increase the cost a lot... But it's something to keep me busy and still a long way off buying a new Erevo 2 and I have a completely new drivetrain