• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Going round in circles

Just joined in the hope that reading your posts I might be able to cut the circle and come to a decision on what to buy.  Otherwise each day I arrive at a different conclusion - is this the right one, or that, or the other?

Problem 1. Hardly any maker tells you the range of their transmitter/receiver.  (I know many of you only want 100ft or so - but I look out on my field and see at least 600 feet of opportunities.)

Problem 2. You all get breakages - are any strong enough?  Or it it part of the fun to push the car/truck to breaking point?

Problem 3. Where is the battery life info - nowhere unless you fans care to state it.

Problem 4. Is this machine waterpoof/resistant?  They don't always say - again it's only reading the forums/youtube etc that I always know.

And here is the querkier side of my interest - I want a waterproof, big enough rc car to move sheep!  I live on a hillside and 'cos the farmer decides to feed his sheep next to my drive (even after asking if he could possibly feed them a little further away) the driveway gets full of the proverbial.  When the flock is large it becomes a never-ending  task to walk the 600ft down my 1 in 4 drive to move them and then crawl back up.  So I thought what about a RC car.  (And I'd enjoy the other side of rc cars.)

Cars I've looked at so far include HPI Savage XL, Axial Yeti XL, Traxxas StampedeXL, BSD Flux Marauder, Losi Rock Rey,

Arrma Nero 6s BLX ...  and so many more.  

At the end of the day I'm relieved to shut down the computer and stop going around in circles.

Any circle cutting would be welcome - and excuse me if there is a delay of 24hrs or so in replying as it takes some time to recover from giddiness.

Welcome to the forum!

I'll try my best to answer your questions, though i'm far from an expert so maybe someone will come along to add a word or two.

1) Regarding range, there are lots of variables which come into effect. Obviously, you'll prob get better range in an open field compared to a built up area. Also battery voltage has a say too. Personally, I think you may struggle with 600' range, possibly 200-300 is about the max? But as you've said, I've never needed range further than a football pitch so not sure!

2) No model is invincible, but some break more often than others. Depends on how they're driven of course. I go out to run my cars fully expecting to break something - then it's a bonus if I don't! You'll want a mainstream, popular car - spares for these are usually plentiful and pretty cheap.

3) Battery life, assuming runtime - generally the greater the mah the longer the runtime - you'll get longer runtime out of a 5000mah battery than a 2000mah. Naturally, theres always a downside in that the larger the mah the more expensive the battery!

4) Few models are totally waterproof - they'll all rust eventually if not looked after. You can buy water resistant ESC's, receivers and servos. Generally brushed motors are more water resistant that brushless so are used a lot in crawlers. I still hose my models down to clean them but then you'll need to unsure that it's dried properly to avoid rusting on the metal bits.

Out of all the cars you're looking at I don't think you can go far wrong. Personally, i'd avoid the BSD as it's probably the weakest and fewer spares available. 

Million $ question.....whats the budget? If money's no option, the Traxxas X-Maxx would see you right......and scare the pooh out of the sheep! Otherwise out of the ones you've listed, i'd go for the Arrma ;) 

Hello ?. What kind of budget all in batteries charger truck etc? For lipos , most people go to hobbyking uk.  What terrain ? Rough slow , blasting about on short grass & dirt?   Have a look at the ftx outlaw, there's loads of info on here about em.  

Thanks James1986 for detailed reply.  I'm not really looking for waterproof - just something that I can run on wet grass and in light rain.  I am also (at the moment) not likely to try the bashing that so many enjoy doing - although with 16 acres of woodland who knows.  My concern on damage is that I'm new to this and so it will be a learning curve discovering what's gone wrong and then how to fix it.  So when I read about all the damage I'm slightly more concerned to get a more reliable machine - and one with easily obtained spares - hence maybe not a Thunder Tiger k-rock for a uk user, maybe an Axial in favour of an Arrma.

In terms of budget - it's really a question of perceived value - will it do what I want?  So looking at say the BSD it seems to have a better radio but maybe build and parts availability will be a problem. as already indicated on this site.  Whereas others, where I've been able to discover anything, often the radio range seems low - 100ft.  

I had thought about overcoming the radio problem by buying a separate radio to replace that supplied by the branded machine - there again that maybe wasting money.  Looking at many videos on youtube the Futaba 3pl seemed to have a very long range but it now seems to be unavailable.  One site tested the Spektrum DX2e and indicated a range I believe of 820 ft and then someone else complained of problems beyond 30 feet!!

My budget can be whatever I want it to be - but I consider the top to be around £800 with batts.

The primary need will involve tarmac grass mud, water and sheep.  I had thought a tank would be good, especially with bb's for the sheep -  but then 6-7mph would just be too too slow, even for the sheep!

In my own mind I guess I would place radio range top - and if tops is 300 ft that would be ok, but less than 100 ft maybe not.

Also necessary is something I can use in the wet - I have an e-scooter for the dry to get at the sheep!

I also want somethng that can travel around 20mph at least - so that battery life is not too problematic.  (I realise type of battery impacts batt life but until I can get my head around the exact machine, batts would come as an after thought - so long as I'm not facing only 15 mins before it's exhausted)

I'll look at the outlaw - and maybe add it to my list of possibles - and then perhaps find some reason to query its inclusion.  Who knows.  The circle continues.

Thanks.

On 03/10/2018 at 17:13, giantspider said:

Just joined in the hope that reading your posts I might be able to cut the circle and come to a decision on what to buy.  Otherwise each day I arrive at a different conclusion - is this the right one, or that, or the other?

Problem 1. Hardly any maker tells you the range of their transmitter/receiver.  (I know many of you only want 100ft or so - but I look out on my field and see at least 600 feet of opportunities.)

Problem 2. You all get breakages - are any strong enough?  Or it it part of the fun to push the car/truck to breaking point?

Problem 3. Where is the battery life info - nowhere unless you fans care to state it.

Problem 4. Is this machine waterpoof/resistant?  They don't always say - again it's only reading the forums/youtube etc that I always know.

And here is the querkier side of my interest - I want a waterproof, big enough rc car to move sheep!  I live on a hillside and 'cos the farmer decides to feed his sheep next to my drive (even after asking if he could possibly feed them a little further away) the driveway gets full of the proverbial.  When the flock is large it becomes a never-ending  task to walk the 600ft down my 1 in 4 drive to move them and then crawl back up.  So I thought what about a RC car.  (And I'd enjoy the other side of rc cars.)

Cars I've looked at so far include HPI Savage XL, Axial Yeti XL, Traxxas StampedeXL, BSD Flux Marauder, Losi Rock Rey,

Arrma Nero 6s BLX ...  and so many more.  

At the end of the day I'm relieved to shut down the computer and stop going around in circles.

Any circle cutting would be welcome - and excuse me if there is a delay of 24hrs or so in replying as it takes some time to recover from giddiness.

Hi there and welcome to the forum mate! But if you want to know which way to go, then there's only the one route you should be going and that is the petrol one!!!! 

I've got nitro, electric and petrol ones of all different types and the petrol is the only way to go mate!! :)

PS:

Just noticed the sheep bit, so definitely the petrol ones my friend!!

Edited by diydrifter

Interesting story, I’d strongly consider self righting as I could not be bothered to keep walking ??? Feet to keep turning onto its wheels ( I’m a crap driver) if it tips over.

Depending on the terrain I’d first get a box about 2f x 2 f x 2 f paint it a bright colour and place it 300 ft away then imagine it doing 30-40mph could you honestly be able to track it.

We’ve installed lights white and red because at 100ft sometimes it’s hard to tell which way it’s facing in an open field not surrounded by sheep.

It’s the livestock owners responsibility to fence the sheep in.

But I do like the idea [emoji362]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get away with a bit of noise, buy a 30DNT truck. The 5ive and it's clones like the 30DNT are perhaps the absolute toughest RCs around and being petrol will certainly let the sheep know it's there way before they see it.

Also practice driving round sheep poop [emoji90] most of us have driven through dog crap at some point and it’s a biohazard ☣️ to get rid of.

Here’s the XMaxx

No much herding going on but may give you some perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great photo - maybe it just need a gun or two.  Had thought about petrol car.  THere again I had thought about everything else too.  Yesterday felt I'd come to a conclusion favouring the Arrma Nero 6s only to find Traxxas has put them out of business (patent infringement)  and the new "owners" were selling a much reduced range.

8 hours ago, giantspider said:

I was looking at the 30degree north cars - seemed well built but what do I know?  Any thoughts/problems - apart from just one distributor in UK?

If you are wanting something to do the specific jobs that you're telling us then you are gonna be a lot better off; either having one made from scratch, or use a second hand one, which you can pick up pretty cheaply these days, n have it modified to suit whatever needs that you want it for and also maybe incorporate a few different things into it so that it would make it a more suitable vehicle for whichever specific job that you want it to do mate!! :) N that's not gonna be costing you a fortune if you use the right vehicle and you've got someone that at least knows what they're doing and not someone that thinks they do!!!!

So if I can be of any more use then just give me a shout pal!! ;)

10 hours ago, giantspider said:

I was looking at the 30degree north cars - seemed well built but what do I know?  Any thoughts/problems - apart from just one distributor in UK?

They have an excellent reputation. Its a 5ive clone but solidly built. All you'd need to do is use a blue thread lock on all metal to metal screws.

I think this problem needs a car to be designed for the job, it wants to be large to coerce the sheep and wants a wide span to help it not tip over, but would have to be made from scratch, using a budget Flysky plane radio will give huge range, over 1000M, maybe the flysky car radio gives same range and something with low centre of gravity. 

Another option i would think about is a gps quadcopter or hexacopter, no tipping, not likely to get trampled by sheep

THE copters ruled out by latest laws regarding drones over certain weight and proximity to people.  Also it seems light rain stops flying.  Would rain stop a petrol car - given ht leads and spark plugs don't really like the wet.

I agree with size comment which is why I have been looking at larger cars.  

IN the end I usually manage to train the sheep by repeatedly going down and moving them - but this year the farmer has kept 120-140 sheep in the field and this has been harder to achieve.  I envisage the rc car would save me the walk, especially in the rain.   (I have an e-scooter for the dry.)

My concerns on a new build include cost reliability and getting someone to build it.  THe 30north seem to have done that for me .

On 06/10/2018 at 14:20, giantspider said:

THE copters ruled out by latest laws regarding drones over certain weight and proximity to people.  Also it seems light rain stops flying.  Would rain stop a petrol car - given ht leads and spark plugs don't really like the wet.

I agree with size comment which is why I have been looking at larger cars.  

IN the end I usually manage to train the sheep by repeatedly going down and moving them - but this year the farmer has kept 120-140 sheep in the field and this has been harder to achieve.  I envisage the rc car would save me the walk, especially in the rain.   (I have an e-scooter for the dry.)

My concerns on a new build include cost reliability and getting someone to build it.  THe 30north seem to have done that for me .

I'll build it for you mate but I'll need to know what sort of budget you've got!! So pm me what it is n I'll let you know what I can build for You!!

• Like 2

He needs sumat proper built and sumat that is strong enough to take all the hassle it's going too be taking over the years mate!! :) So as long as it's built right and with proper materials n no skimping!! He could have the perfect machine, if he wanted to he could have a self cleaning set up on it etc etc etc!!! It's limitless if you want to do sumat so long as you know what you're doing and you have got the skill set for this type of thing then you can build anything that you want to pal!! :)

14 hours ago, diydrifter said:

He needs sumat proper built and sumat that is strong enough to take all the hassle it's going too be taking over the years mate!! :) So as long as it's built right and with proper materials n no skimping!! He could have the perfect machine, if he wanted to he could have a self cleaning set up on it etc etc etc!!! It's limitless if you want to do sumat so long as you know what you're doing and you have got the skill set for this type of thing then you can build anything that you want to pal!! :)

Do you have any detailed pictures of your work fella?

im wanting some steelwork doing (used to do all my own and for others, alas, no more due to ill health) but would like to see what I could expect as it needs to be perfect.

cheers.

On 09/10/2018 at 19:41, Gaz! said:

Do you have any detailed pictures of your work fella?

im wanting some steelwork doing (used to do all my own and for others, alas, no more due to ill health) but would like to see what I could expect as it needs to be perfect.

cheers.

Yeah what sort of thing are you looking at wanting doing mate?? Just gives me an idea of what to send/show you my previous work etc!! :)

By the way so you know that I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself and I like to know that everything is done correctly n not half assed mate!! One thing that I hate is shoddy workmanship!!!!! Just don't see the point in doing sumat to just not do it correctly in the beginning!!! 

sorry for the little bit of a rant but it just gets my blood boiling mate!!!

Edited by diydrifter
Add info

Well I’m after a cage or similar doing for a scale crawler.

as for workmanship, that’s what I’m looking for, it’s a large portion of the overall body so will be on show.

cheers and sorry for the thread hijack.