• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Torbay area, Devon.

Grimsson

Is there anybody that meets up in or around the torbay area that runs petrol/nitro RC buggies? I am interested in joining a club, if any or getting a plan together with some like minded locals to start a regular meetup/club. 

I am free Monday to Thursday every week, but work nights from friday to sunday 18:00 - 6:00.

I have got transport and willing to travel a little if need be, but not too far ?

Cheers, Mike.

I'm no longer local, but from memory there was a cracking 1/10th indoor track in the Torbay area literally called TRAC. No nitro stuff though, so maybe not what you're after!

On the nitro front, i've just come back from the Plymouth RC club, they definitely run 1/8th nitro/electric etc. 

Other than that, there's a nitro track down in Cornwall, KORT. Probably a bit of a trek from Torbay!

Most or all of the above run Sundays from memory, but might now do things during the week? Might be worth a look!

Cheers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drnose said:

I'm no longer local, but from memory there was a cracking 1/10th indoor track in the Torbay area literally called TRAC. No nitro stuff though, so maybe not what you're after!

On the nitro front, i've just come back from the Plymouth RC club, they definitely run 1/8th nitro/electric etc. 

Other than that, there's a nitro track down in Cornwall, KORT. Probably a bit of a trek from Torbay!

Most or all of the above run Sundays from memory, but might now do things during the week? Might be worth a look!

Cheers.

Thank you for the info :)

I have got a 1/5 scale petrol buggy, which most clubs don't run in Devon ?Is there any public places you recommend in the Torbay area that I could run a petrol buggy without risk of being harassed? 

I was hoping there was a private club like the RC Helicopter club I used to belong to, but no luck so far.

Cheers, Mike.

Not a lot of bashing options in the bay for petrol/nitro, particularly big stuff like 1/5, I even struggle to find any decent sized spots for 1/10 & 1/8 leccy...  There used to be a good nitro track at Marldon but that went a few years back unfortunately.  We used to use the bmx track at Parkfield in Paignton, but the blighters have fenced that all off now ?

If you do find anything, let me know! 

• Like 1

I haven't been out yet as I am still waiting for some parts I need to run-in and tune my buggy, probably won't be able to do that until Monday now "bloody work" lol.

I have looked into going King George V playing fields at Watcombe, Clennon Valley, over flow carpark by the zoo, overflow car park at splash down, broadsands carpark early evening and Decoy playing field.

Have you had any problems with these places?

Also Dartmoor is a good choice in some areas away from the usual tourist hot spots.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup I've used the car park at splashdown a few times but gets a bit dull due to lack of jumps.

Theres a place over at decoy which is quite good when it's quiet - the car park by the cricket club house, has a bank between car park and field that you can get some good air from. 

Yeah ah few good places on the moor too, if you can be arsed to drive up.

• Like 1

Yup its a good crack... literally... a real car breaker, plus most of the dips are hidden, so you never know if you'll see your car again... plus if its been raining, you get some big old paddling pools - WP elecs are essential!

• Like 1

I have got rid of the yama because it fell apart twice in two days. I have got a Losi TLR 8ight 4.0 buggy ordered, once it arrives it won't take me long to build, then I'll get it run-in and then tuned. 

I am interested in going to Watcombe playing fields/bmx track to do some bashing. I often go to Dartmoor for photography and hiking, so I don't mind the traveling to go bashing ?

If any of you are interested in meeting up to get the Buggies/Truggies bashing, we will have to arrange a meet sometime.

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

Sounds good, I'll check in on here from time to time.

I'm currently doing a bit of a strip down on my no1 H7 buggy but back up car just needs a motor which I have somewhere...

Sounds good, no rush as my buggy won't be ready for about 4 weeks as the kits on back order at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike I live in the Exeter area and would be up for traveling to Torquay to meet up. I have a losi 8ight truggy and a buggy. Was thinking of getting a Baja in the future but wanted to make sure I can find a good place to run them. I would be up for meeting up at Dartmoor as well. Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I’ll be up for a meet up. I work Friday, Saturday and Sunday night so will only be able to meet up Monday to Thursday. 

I won’t be running my Losi for a while as I want to do the first tuning in warmer weather. The Baja on the other hand is being run in and having its first tune tomorrow, I have just completed a full engine and car rebuild. As long as everything works as it should I should be ready for bashing from next week. 

I haven’t been Dartmoor bashing yet. We could meet up at Watcombe BMX track one day, but it might be too much water everywhere now so might be confined to slash down car park, Paignton until things dry out a bit. 

Let me know. 

Cheers, Mike. 

3 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

I'd be up for meeting you guys for a Dartmoor bash sometime, maybe further afield if it's a weekday morning. I have an EB4 buggy and newly acquired DHK truggy which are just asking for a beating! 

Cool we will have to sort something out weather dependant. 

I managed to run a whole tank of 1:25 mix through my newly built engine. The previous owner advertised it as a 29cc; after measuring the piston, I found out it was a 26cc. I bought a big bore 29cc piston and head to convert it. I also replaced the shaft bearings + oil seals, wrist pin + bearing, all new gaskets, flywheel, clutch, coil, carb and super bee kill switch. It ran perfectly. I just need to tune it, hopefully on Thursday. 

Here's a photo of the finished build.

Finished Baja.JPG

• Like 1

Could be the start of something special...!!! Must get myself sorted, loads of house/1:1 grief recently has meant I've hardly touched the rcs over the last month or so, cars at least. A torbay bashers group could be just the motivation I need.

• Like 1