• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rc and people types

master farter

You forget living in London how much less diverse the population is in some areas.

A tiny fraction of the population is into RC, and that means a very non representative sample of folks anyway. No real conclusion to be drawn here other than not enopugh people are into RC full stop, and where they are...it tends to be us balding overweight middle aged types who have the spare money to spend on toys. Especially when it comes to planes. This really is NOT a cheap hobby.

Add in to that, the fact that urban areas offer very little by way of available space for flying, or...come to think of it ...driving RCs, and urban areas have the highest levels of ethnic diversity.

In the US, it's far more mainstream....far more widely accepted as a viable hobby, and far better supported in terms of ...well...everything!

• Like 1

I found RC to be pretty well integrated and enjoyed across the races when I visited a couple of clubs in South Africa a couple of years back, both cars and planes. Given the country's apartheid history, I found this both surprising and impressive.

I don't think that there is anything about the hobby that makes it any more or less attractive to any particular race group. I think it is merely a function of the demographics and economic conditions in any given area.

Edited by XV Pilot

12 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

You forget living in London how much less diverse the population is in some areas

I live in east Devon..... Population here is not diverse in any way ....

I guess that's one of the things I love about rc..... Anyone can have fun with it.....heck I even watched my dad (mid 60's) flying a drone a few weeks back after never touching an rc before in his life....he loved it despite the many crashes