• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SO IT BEGINS! A REAL DRIFT CAR BUILD :)

diydrifter

Well here's to were I'm at at the moment; I've modified the steering servo so that it's a lot more adjustable!! Eg; I can now adjust the amount of steering lock that I want to have for each and any other occasions!! So if I want to have lots of lock then I simply turn the buckles one way, and if I decide that I want less lock then turn the buckles the other way!! :) Simple!! :) All this might seem to be going a bit over the top, but one thing that you want n especially on a drift car is plenty of lock bcoz the more that you can get without having all the drama issues with the binding and sticking, plus the there's the no return to re-centering itself issues!! N I've had all of these problems with my real drift car and believe me it's a scary thing when you're sideways at over 70-80mph and you have to transition quickly but you can't bcoz the steering won't return to the central position and on top of that it's binding at the same time!!!! Certainly had my butt cheeks clenched!! :) It's basically like thesteering lock has just decided that it wants to turn itself on and it just locks and there's a real fight between you and the steering wheel!! :)

So you definitely have to have your steering set up correctly and properly, otherwise you will find yourself in a very tight position one day!! So that's the lesson of today: Steering Set Up!!!

A couple of pictures of were I'm at with it at the moment:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PhwDHCZc5mqXG9rRA

I've added little comments on some of the pictures explaining what it is that I'm doing and how I'm doing it, but if you're building something like this then you don't need to follow exactly what I'm doing and the way I'm going about it myself but please feel free to take any ideas for your own use if it'll help you in getting your own done!! :) And also if you have any ideas that you think might help me then feel free to let me know what they are!! Appreciated :)

Edited by diydrifter

Right well here's a few more pictures for you guys just so you can see where I'm at so far and if anyone has any sort of input that they wanna share with me then please feel free to do so :)

I'm at the moment trying to decide whether or not I should move the whole front sub-frame!! But I'll have a better idea regarding this once I've actually had the chance to make a mock up first!! :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MdDvrKcJEtht3pcd7

I'll add some captions to the majority of these pictures explaining what it is that I'm doing in each of the pictures :)

Cheers for looking guys 

45 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

SAvox is a good servo.

I used to use the old Multiplex Rhino's, but I suspect there are better options nowadays, as I have not had to buy a steering servo for ages.

Sweet bruva coz I think it's gonna be the one that I go with for now!! :) AndAnd I'm just in the middle of stripping the yama front end down bcoz I might decide to use one or two things off it and see if it works out what I have in mind mate!! :)

50 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

SAvox is a good servo.

I used to use the old Multiplex Rhino's, but I suspect there are better options nowadays, as I have not had to buy a steering servo for ages.

Sweet bruva coz I think it's gonna be the one that I go with for now!! :) AndAnd I'm just in the middle of stripping the yama front end down bcoz I might decide to use one or two things off it and see if it works out what I have in mind mate!! :)

Just a bit more info etc for you guys and more pics :) Coz I know that we all love the pictures:) 

So I've just started to strip the front end of the yama, and my reason for doing this is bcoz the front lower arms that are on a yama are around an inch or more longer than the ones that are fitted to the fg marder, I'm referring to the stock ones by the way guys!! :)

So I'm gonna give it a go and see what sort of a result I get from em!! Hopefully it's gonna be the one that I'm wanting:)

Well here's the pics for you to have a look at:)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PvLMZ5XdzBEJiNFw7

I'm not sure about which pictures I've actually put on this link so I'll submit it and if it's got the wrong ones on then I'll just have to edit it a bit :) Lol 

Yeah the pics are the right ones!! Lol!! And there's gonna be plenty more to come in the near future guys!! :)

Edited by diydrifter
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I'm sorry that nothing has been added to the thread for quite a while now!! But I got really ill and then I've just had loads of work stuff to get caught up on!!!!! N I'm still not a hundred percent back to my normal self yet!!! As I'm still all bunged up and coughing my ass and phlegm up like there's no tomorrow or sumat!!!! But at least I'm starting to get a bit of energy back bcoz for me that's been the worst part of it all!!! So I'll be getting myself back on here a lot more regular again and you'll start to see some progress on my build!! :) I hhad it out the other day for the first time in weeks and it started and run absolutely brilliant :) So I am well happy with the way it's running now n I just need to tweak the steering slightly on the marder I'm running!! N I'm dying to get started on my drift car now so come on tomorrow/today so I can start making a bit of noise without any one being disturbed at this time!!!!

Have a good one guy's :)

• 4 weeks later...

Now then everyone, I haven't been on for a while bcoz of certain things but I don't need to get into any of that!! 

So here's the last picture's that I took of what I'd last done to the car :) Which isn't much bcoz I haven't even touched any of em for weeks now!!!! And now I've forgotten how I get to do that thing so the pictures are on a link!!! Lol

Finally I've sussed it out how to do it again, so here's a few pictures for your perusal guys n gals :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZimK2U7dgfiPeVnf9

As you should hopefully be able to tell that I've stripped one of the fg marders right down to its bare bones!! N I'm just starting work on the actual chassis itself, just making some small adjustments so that it'll take a much better front end set up!! I've had to chop off about 10mm from each side of the front part of the chassis bcoz it was too wide otherwise and I wouldn't have been able to get the amount of lock that I'm hoping to achieve!!! :) So I've removed roughly 10mm inwards and about 2inch in length!! And now the front set up fits it perfectly!!:) 

So just to give you a bit of an idea about what I've been doing and were I've got too so far!! But now fingers, toes and whatever else you can cross is crossed and now that I'm feeling more n more like normal with every passing day then it shouldn't be too much longer now for me to get it finished guys!! :)

Hope you enjoyed what little there is to see!!

All the best 

Edited by diydrifter
Adding pictures
  • Like 1

Well the good news is that I've actually got to make a start on it again!! Yipee!! :) I've been waiting far too long now since I was last able to do anything with or too it!! So today I've made a mock-up of how I am wantingthe steering system to be :) AnAnd so far it's looking promising Guys!! I'll get some pictures up tmoz at some point :)

• 2 weeks later...

Right just a quickee ive now got everythimng running through thhe laptop rather than the phone as i prefer to be able to see the letters im typing!! So it might take me a little bit of getting used too bbuut i can now those status updates etc that i couldnt do on the phioone!!!!

So ill see you all tomorrow :)

On 12/08/2018 at 22:41, Nitroholic said:

SAvox is a good servo.

Can't beat em! For the price...

@diydrifter you had this running yet??

I waiting to see some large scale two stroke drift!

14 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Can't beat em! For the price...

@diydrifter you had this running yet??

I waiting to see some large scale two stroke drift!

@Fly:

The one that I'm rebuilding from scratch, no mate and tbh with you I've hardly had any time lately to even really touch it!!! But over this next week that's gonnna be my main thing to do!!!! And get on with it, coz I'm dying to see some large scale sideways drifting myself mate!!!!! :)