• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Modelsport

Gampla

I work for a company that provides product support for a well-known retailer. It is not common, but also not unheard of for manufacturers to change specifications of products and not tell us or the retailer about it. However if a customer complains, we don't simply sit back and blame the manufacturer.

If a customer finds that the change is not to their satisfaction, we do everything we can to rectify the situation. If for example an accessory is no longer included as advertised, we send the missing accessory wherever possible. If the specification no longer matches that which is advertised, we offer to exchange the unit for a higher spec one at no extra cost, and so forth.

In such a situation the customer is of course also entitled to a refund should they wish, but giving them that as their only option? That might satisfy the T's and C's  but I don't think that is very good service.

Edited by XV Pilot

I work for a company that provides technical support for a well-known electrical retailer. It is not common, but also not unheard of for manufacturers to change specifications of products and not tell us or the retailer about it. However if a customer complains, we don't simply sit back and blame the manufacturer.

If a customer finds that the change is not to their satisfaction, we do everything we can to rectify the situation. If for example an accessory is no longer included as advertised, we send the missing accessory wherever possible. If the specification no longer matches that which is advertised, we offer to exchange the unit for a higher spec one at no extra cost, and so forth.

The customer is of course entitled to a refund at any point, but giving them that as their only option? That might satisfy the T's and C's  but I don't think that is very good service.

I would of been happy with them admitting they messed up and here’s 10% off and free delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a tough economic climate we live in. 10% off and free delivery probably wipes out the small amount they would have made selling the parts. A refund still allows them to sell the parts.

That said. .. I do have to ask why the matter is being touted here, rather than with the company concerned. This forum is not 'Modelsport' and we are not employees. Neither are the forum staff. All you will get here are opinions...not answers. 

My opinion says...

1) do you want the springs or is this just a principle thing? It always helps to be clear what you want in any negotiation.

2) either return for a full refund and insist the return postage is covered. Not your mistake.. so why should you pay for return. If I don't like how a retailer does business...I don't do business with them.

3) Purchase elsewhere. But you still won't get the extra springs unless you find old stock that had them..  or pay extra and buy more springs. Can you get what you want somewhere else. ?

4) You have no right to a discount, or to any other resolution other than that offered.. and forum bashing isn't going to encourage any nicer outcome. Personally.. if I am going to raise issues like this in public...  I do it when it's over. 

Then it does not matter who I upset as it's a done deal.

My unhappy customer approach is to cost them so much time and effort, giving in to me is the most cost effective thing to do. Just stay polite doing it ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why do you think Modelsport owe you anything?  They have done the right thing in offering you a refund, if you want it that is, and that is fully your choice, if not keep the product and move on.

The example of buying a TT01 and receiving a chassis is no different, you would complain and return the goods for a full refund, OK it is annoying but it happens, if the seller doesn't have a full TT01 you cannot make them supply you with one.

The law states that you should be in the same state before the error, in other words you should be paid back the same amount that was paid to the company in the first instance (I don't think this includes postage).  The law does not deal in compensation and rightly so, you should not be entitled to more than you had to begin with.

Morally Modelsport do have the option to offer you extras if they want to keep you as a loyal customer however that is not your "right" and will depend on the company and individual.

In the past I have had extras thrown in due to waiting a long time for parts, they were not to blame but were happy to help, on another occasion I had parts on an excessively long wait and asked for a refund, they were happy yo oblige and I didn't get any extras, why would I?

• Like 1

Yes the suppliers should notify retailers of product changes - or generate a new product code - which is a unique reference to the exact product and specifications, so they can be aware of any changes or variations.

This is not Modelsports fault. Goods-in of any retailer go by a product number. They do not read a 300+ word description, of each product in their 10,000+ product catalog.

• Like 1

• Nick locked this topic