• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My MGB

Hpi_matrix_stock

the MGB has a B series engine, no?

in essence a larger version of the A series in a mini, so head gaskets are pretty easy to change tbh

rocker cover off, rockers off, thermostat housing off, disconnect bypass hose (i think b series engines have one), undo manifolds and then undo the head nuts

then flush the water system through and re-new, and new oil, clean off any poo bewteen the cylinders too

by the time i've tgyped this, you could of probably done it :P

Just had a quick look at this thread, will read it all later but its funny because my parents just bought an MGB Roadster (Soft top) !

I like the bucket seats ! gonna have to get them to do that :)

good luck with the engine, i hoope the clyender head hasnt got a crack in it as it might end up costing a fair bit then.

P.S. yer spose to skim the head when changing the head gasket arnt ya ?

P.S. yer spose to skim the head when changing the head gasket arnt ya ?

isn't necessary, only if you're loosing compression

just ensure it's completely clean with no carbon blown between pistons, as the gasket won't seat properly otherwise

just make sure it's the right way up :P:whistling:

isn't necessary, only if you're loosing compression

I am loosing compression on 1 cylinder, but iv been told as its a cast iron (or steel?) head then it should be ok., il check its flatness anyway just to be safe.

You make taking the head off sound easy Monsterous :P Iv been told to set aside a day for it lol .

Edited by Hpi_matrix_stock

You make taking the head off sound easy Monsterous :P Iv been told to set aside a day for it lol .

Don't take my word for it, im just going by doing an A series, and im guessing a B series must be about the same, as they are the same configuration, just bigger capacity wise

while the head's off, why not take it to an engineering shop, and have them port and polish it, and resize the valves? would make a considerable difference

while the head's off, why not take it to an engineering shop, and have them port and polish it, and resize the valves? would make a considerable difference

Thats in my mind although it will cost me about £200-£300 to take it to stage 2, and as I said up the page "Iv ordered a new headgasket, but I may be getting something better to fix this problem (watch this space ;) )"

;)

Just thought id mention I fixed the sticky break piston (a problem found a few months ago lol but fixed a month or so back) by pushing it in and out quite a few times and spraying it with WD-40, its worth trying to free stuff up before just totally replacing it sometimes :)

Thats in my mind although it will cost me about £200-£300 to take it to stage 2, and as I said up the page "Iv ordered a new headgasket, but I may be getting something better to fix this problem (watch this space ;) )"

;)

what could that be an engine transplant maybe ;)

3l V6 :) lol

I wish lol, unfortunatly something a little more tame. 1950cc, Stage 2 head (not unleaded though, will cost about £140 to make unleaded) and a lightened flywheel. Should achieve 113hp at the wheels, something like 130-140hp at the flywheel.

Its done 30,000 miles and the guy wants £525

The cylinders seem to have slight pitting though...is that normal? And is the price OK?

dscn4227oc7.th.jpg

dscn4228fk5.th.jpg

dscn4229ol4.th.jpg

dscn4230it4.th.jpg

dont know much about engines, but surely the conversion will be worth it ? £140 dosent even get you much petrol these days. Just makes it easier anyway.

It's quite expensive tbh, 30,000 miles, no oil burning etc is what im taking the guys word for. I also don't have a extensive knowledge of engines, the rebuilding of them and what gets changed and by how much. Iv rung up a few company's this morning though and it will easily cost £800+ to get my engine to around the same standard, probably more. Il probably go with it as being 18 it's the cheapest option iv got, and iv never seen a tuned engine sell on ebay. Its been painted which is always a good sign :rolleyes:

I started taking the head off my current engine today as before I fit the new engine il have it converted to unleaded and get a new AP clutch.

YUK! :yucky:

dscn4234kt4.th.jpg

These do not look right, looks like il be buying an SU carb manual :whistling:

dscn4237rh8.th.jpg

dscn4235rj9.th.jpg

Well dispite 95% of people I asked (on forums) being against this motor (probably because of supposed pitting) iv gone ahead and bought it anyway. The cylinders were clean (not pitted) it was just the camera picking up the dirt/oil in the cylinder.

Im now -£525 need to get new valve seats on the head, a clutch and possibly some K&N's. On the plus side I have 113bhp sitting in the garage :D

dscn4239oy4.th.jpg

dscn4240ij6.th.jpg

dscn4242eq0.th.jpg

dscn4238df9.th.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought id update this even though I havent really done much :blush:

Had to replace the engines front plate because iv got different engine mountings

dscn4277nt5.jpg

Valves and spring removed from the head, hopefully going to the machine shop later in the week to have the head coverted to unleaded

dscn4279ps0.jpg

Buying an engine crane actually works out cheaper then hiring one Comes from china but is the same as the more expensive names, I need to sell it once iv used it so any one wanna buy an engine crane :P

dscn4280rz9.jpg

Also bought myself a decent tool box as im starting to build up quite a few tools of my own

dscn4278gb8.jpg

Just ordered bronze vavle guides, new springs and various other little things. I should be able to fit the clutch once the parts come and then the engine will be ready to go in to the car once the engine bays been painted.

top man!! project coming on nicely! u have electric fuel pump for twin su's? new year sometime hopefully relightin ol flame 1275gt clubman but gonna be turbo or bike engine conversion..

• 3 weeks later...

Little update. Steering rack had to come off to replace engine mountings and one bolt was a real pain in the backside (had to weld another a nut onto it and swear alot). Cylinder head has been to the machine shop and I now have bronze vavle guides and 3 angle hardened seats, one valve was found to have a crack in it but thats easy and cheap to replace (and luckily the machine shop had one)

Just need to send the dizzy off to Aldon to get it re-curved, hopefully the engine will go in Sunday (wheather permitting)

• 3 weeks later...

Lost the valve spring retainers and was sick so havent got round to doing much untill recently. The engine is all in one peice now ready to be fitted and the distrubuter has gone to Aldon for a rebuild. Everythings in place, just need to fit it all together, hopefully going to get it done this side of the year :blush: .

Have also purchased an aluminium bonnet which is soooo light, gonna be a few pennys to paint though :rolleyes:

Hmm...don't want to teach you how to suck eggs here...but-

I take it you aligned the clutch plate?Also it may be easier to remove the box from the mountings and insert it in one...or alternatively...get the engine in and then mount the box on after?

Just my thoughts!