• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My MGB

Hpi_matrix_stock

I wanted to keep a picture record of stuff that I do to my car and what better way to do then keep it in a thread like reefshark. So from now on this threads going to be a little blog of what happens with my car.

This is my car last year in October when I just got it. Everything bog standard and no rust! Or at least minimal amounts :lol: Iv drove it like this untill late november when I stuck it in a garage because of salt on the roads. It came back out around Feb time and has had a few modifications fitted as well some other normal things going wrong and having to be replaced.

1272891426_l.jpg

Car Currently:

Not loads of mods as petrol for it is expensive enough and modifications are expensive :P

A nice pair of speedograph air filters, cheap but let the engine breath.

dscn2481uu2.th.jpg

And a Peco big bore exhaust and manifold. Sounds sweet and doesnt look like those huge fake exhausts you get on chavved up cars.

dscn2478ul4.th.jpg

Stuff to go on:

Bucket Seats X2, Just need a strip of metal to modify the runners and they'll be whipped in.

dscn2483en7.th.jpg

One polished up alloy wheel (4 more to do :( ) And some EBC Green stuff brake pads.

dscn2484uy2.th.jpg

I also have a new fuel tank to put on, but a pic of that is probably boring and its still in the box anyway :P

Edited by Hpi_matrix_stock

lovely car..old cars are sooo much better than todays. when i got the cash i am wanting a classic bike...going to start with something like a bsa bantam

the twin carbs are great...cant wait to read up on your progress

them seats look like corbeau classics to me???

Unbranded, iv seen them at car shows. £70 each + £20 for some runners, I bought them as they look quite period.

What is insurance like on it?

£780 3rd party T+F, not bad as im 18 I think...although as its a classic I don't earn any NCB? Im sure having the insurence and not claiming for a year will mean something though.

Awesome, last time i saw an MGB it looked quite slow though

Depends what you mean by slow...its not beating any modern day sports cars but keeps up with modern traffic fine. The exhaust and filters have made a noticable improvement and webber carb should make alot of difference, if/when I get one. It feels fast though and rwd is fun :whistling:

dscn1627ex6.th.jpg

Put the car on stands today, planned to do alot more but got distracted :whistling: . The brake area will be cleaned tomorrow and hopefully the green stuff pads will be easy to fit.

dscn1628qj7.th.jpg

Did manage to clean the carb's up today, and also change the engine oil and filter. I also mocked fitted an alloy, I dont think it looked good at all...but I think I need a tyre on one to really know.

dscn1629hh9.th.jpg

Thought id take a pic of the interior as that should be changing when I get the money to buy some alloy bits. Might even get time to change the seats tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get the green stuff break pads on last week. Always remember to open the cap on the brake fluid reservoir, before trying to push the brake pistons back in, learnt this the hard way <_< .

I think one of the brake pistons might be seized due to uneven wear on the brake pads, and the seals not looking to good. Il just have to check how these new brake pads are wearing down to find out.

One of the pads was right on the edge of being almost totally worn out :o

dscn1630vl2.th.jpg

MOT ran out this week, so I enjoyed the car up until that point. Just need to get my indicators working and an MOT booked, hopefully it will go through ok :shockingscary:

Pistons should be hard to push in....if they aren't then you got a problem :P

Was you trying to push it in with your fingers or a piston-pusher?

Well they were easy compared to before, when me and my mate were trying to push them back in with the lid on the reservoir :P

I went in the local motorshop and said there wasnt really such thing as a piston pusher, so I just used various tools (big screwdriver flat peices of metal etc)

Will check it often, it wasnt fully seized as it wasnt to hard to push back in.

Unlucky for your bro, id be gutted if something like that happened :o

yeah, he was just coming over this hill and a fox was in the middle of the road, so he stamped on the brakes and it just spun.

my dad hit a fox at about 70mph on the motorway, he needed a new bumper, 3radiators, and a intercooler(why rover 420's have 3rads i dont know!)

Hmm..i have a piston pusher sat in the drawer in my garage.

It basically goes in between the piston and the other side of the caliper (or do car brakes have pistons on either side?) and you just screw it in (well, just wind the handle around) and it pushes it back in.

Taking the cylider cap off shouldn't make no difference at all (if it is a similar setup to a bike) because you have a valve in between, now if you took the cylinder cap off and help the brake lever in (or pushed it down in a car) then it would make a difference.

Hmm..i have a piston pusher sat in the drawer in my garage.

It basically goes in between the piston and the other side of the caliper (or do car brakes have pistons on either side?) and you just screw it in (well, just wind the handle around) and it pushes it back in.

Taking the cylider cap off shouldn't make no difference at all (if it is a similar setup to a bike) because you have a valve in between, now if you took the cylinder cap off and help the brake lever in (or pushed it down in a car) then it would make a difference.

its only rear brakes on cars that have a twist type caliper its to stop the handbrake from loosening i think.

on the fronts you just push them in with big water pump pliers thats what we use at work

Well as we tried to force the piston back the oil wasnt going back, hence why the pistons werent really moving back at all for half an hour! Took the lid off and could push the pistons back with ease (well still a bit of a job but alot easier then with the cap on)

The brakes seem fine atm, although I thought green stuff brake pads would make a really big difference.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Hadnt really done much to the car as it needed its MOT, so I just used the car as it was untill it ran out. I got the MOT re-done about 2 weeks ago and it passed fine, only one recommendation of new kingpins before the next MOT.

Current jobs on the go are fixing the heaterbox which decided to leak and replacing the leaky fuel tank. I havent started much with the heaterbox as im having trouble getting it out!

The fuel tank also doesnt like the idea of coming out and iv currently had to ground out the top bolts, the bottom nuts look just as bad but iv soaked them in penertrating fluid and im hoping for the best :P

dscn4005mt1.th.jpg

Bolts being in difficult positions doesnt help.

The new fuel tank has to be prepared a bit more then id have liked, the people I bought it from dont seem to be sure what finish it came in as well. I opted to paint it with hamerite, il take a picture once its had 2 coats. Tbh I now relise the stainless steel fuel tank is well worth it despite the fact there normally more then twice the price of a normal one.

dscn4002nq5.th.jpg

Remember if your buying paint to bring ID with you, there was a lot of swearing going on at halfords today when they wouldnt sell me paint...even though I had my car keys.

To mix up my day after being annoyed by people working in halfords I started painting the wheels on my dads 106 (that I use as an A-B car while my MG's out of action)... I have to say IMO they look bloody good for steel wheels.

dscn4003ti1.th.jpgdscn4004bf1.th.jpg

Woooo, probably the first time penertrating fluid has actually worked for me. Got the fuel tank off today...god its in a sorry state. Managed to slavage the fuel tank sender/reciever unit so thats saved me £20.

dscn4006ky2.th.jpg

You might just be able to see the rust holes in the bottom right hand corner.

dscn4007qg1.th.jpg

The boot is in good condition so a coat vactan and it'll be as good as new.

dscn4008hc2.th.jpg

New fuel tank ready to go on :D

The struggle with the heater box is finally over. Unsure wheather to buy a heater matrix, fix my old one, buy second hand etc. There expensive new, but I also dont want to have to do this job ever again so it will need to last.

I think il get a new heater matrix and referb the box and motor etc.

dscn4013ar7.th.jpg

Old heaterbox

dscn4014wi2.th.jpg

dscn4016gc3.th.jpg

Dirty hole where there heater box was

dscn4015vw6.th.jpg

Dash and controls removed to take off the heater box

looks like your cracking on with it will you be at mini in the park in this i would be interested to see it in the flesh or metal :D

Yeah, Il be camping...I think I said in your mini thread lol.

Just look for my car with a MK4 black golf and 3 minis (yellow, red and silver lol). Will be nice to yours in the flesh too.

Il also be going to the retro show in july, loads of really different cars there last year.