• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Working air cooling

JACsterandOlibob

Hi

Would air cooling work on an ESC for my car? The car's meant to be scale as possible so I didn't just want to strap a heat sink and fan on it, so I was thinking of having a small 1cm ish tube taking cool air from the front of the car and feeding it to the esc. Any foreseeable problems?

I race an M03, the ESC is down low in the rear chassis plates so you can't see it, I'm using a hobbywing 1060, why do you think you need to add heatsinks or additional cooling?

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

I recon if you mount the ESC at the front, positioned like a radiator....and do as RadioFish suggested, cutting out a grille and filling it with mesh ( Halfords sell cheap alumionium mesh for body repairs which makes good grilles.)

Depends really on the shell you are using as to how much mesh you can work into the design. The mesh can be held on with eposy, but hot glue works better.

If you have an IR thermometer, you can check how the cooling is working. Start off with the ESC in a 'normal' location under the shell. Run for a fixed time, and take a temperature reading. Then relocate it to the front where you want it. Repeat. If it gets too much hotter, then start looking at making holkes, mesh etc. to get you the cooling you need.

I had this idea a while ago but never tried it, was thinking on way to work would you not need some where at the back for the air to flow out of? Cause i know of the parachute effect SCT bodies can get. This also might improve performance slightly as the car is not having to "push" the air out of the way?

you win some you lose some its all a game to me