• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

post break in tune hyper 30 turbo

scampy

Hi,

Ive got a hyper Vs with the turbo engine. 

I've put about 10 tanks through it 25% nitro, and i'm at the stage where i would like to tune it for a little more performance. 

I had some problems with starting it for its first couple of tanks, at factory break in settings the carb woudnt let any fuel through and I had to open the LSN quite a lot to get it to start, same with the HSN 

The LSN was 2 mm out from flush, and the HSN flush with the brass outer ring. absolutely no where near factory settings. 

The smoke produced by the engine is unreal clouds and clouds of the stuff, I can lean the HSN to reduce it a little and get a little more power and also the LSN to get a little more punch. The problem is that when i go to restart the engine I have to put the carb back to the known good settings which are crazy crazy rich. Without changing the carb settings the engine stays reasonably cool, but any adjustment to the LSN/HSN the engine wont pass the spit test even though its pumping smoke out like crazy.

Im not interested in max performance but i would like to get it a little faster than factory with a lot less smoke, and find a setting that i know will start. 

I've got loads of pinch so i dont think its a compression problem, does this sound like an air leak ? 

can anyone offer any advice ?

Im not after race performance im happy to have smoke and a longer lasting engine but iim just a little worried im going in the wrong direction

I had this problem with an SH.18 engine, had to keep messing with the needle to restart. I changed all fuel pipes & it made it a little better. My solution was to use a medicine syringe to put a bit of fuel down the carb & it's seems to work. Something to try at least. Good luck bud.

12 hours ago, Drift Tuner said:

I had this problem with an SH.18 engine, had to keep messing with the needle to restart. I changed all fuel pipes & it made it a little better. My solution was to use a medicine syringe to put a bit of fuel down the carb & it's seems to work. Something to try at least. Good luck bud.

I'm going through the fuel system now for leaks,  I'm going to have the engine out anyway so i'll seal it up while its out. 

Half the problem it seems is that the published carb settings are no where near what it needs to actually start.

• 1 year later...

This was from a while back but had the same problem with my Vs 30 the factory settings they give you are useless. Had to make quite an adjustment to the low speed needle and HSN just to run it in all is good now after a fair few tanks I'm slowly tuning her up and she flys. Interested to hear if you got their in the end with it 👍

• 1 year later...