• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

new 30dnt giving me hassle, just wont start.

tanveer

Did a couple of 5 minute heat cycles and then ran it for half a tank to run the engine in, put it away and tried to start it today and its just flooding itself. Took the spark plug out and it seems clean and its sparking. un plugged the killswitch to check that and still wont run. Iv checked all the usual things like fuel cap vent hole, head bolts etc and all seems tight and good. Carb is at factory settings. It does ever so slightly cough every now and again like its going to start but then wont run, the plug is always wet and stinks of fuel when i take it out.

Iv even tried both methods of un flooding it by removing spark plug and pulling a few times with the truck upside down, and removing the carb and trying to start it OBR style, it still didnt start after trying both these methods. 

Anyone able to help with any other bits im overlooking? Its a brand new engine and iv never had problems with any petrol engine like this, so im not too sure if theres anything im overlooking

Edited by tanveer

Where are you in Leicester? If you're still having problems your welcome to bring it round (if you don't mind dogs) or meet up somewhere at some point as I have a few used but usable plugs we can try and a couple of carbs as well. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, supersavage said:

Where are you in Leicester? If you're still having problems your welcome to bring it round (if you don't mind dogs) or meet up somewhere at some point as I have a few used but usable plugs we can try and a couple of carbs as well. 

I'm in whetstone bud, that would be great if you could help me out. And I'm a dog lover so that's cool. Il send you a pm bud.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Mix up some fresh fuel and use that .

Lean your needles 1/16 

Try again

Fuel is fresh bud, mixed 25.1 with silkolene pro2. It was mixed fresh too

Just to update the thread, turned out to be a dodgy spark plug. It was sparking when put up against the cylinder so not sure what was going on. But as soon as i stuck a new ngk in there it fired up first pull. Bit iffy how rc modelz are advertising these as coming with "ngk performance" plugs but mine came with a chinese torch spark plug....

guys at my local track said the same thing about the plug and the fact it only lasted a few heat cycles but even the best plugs don't last long after the running in period anyway 

3 hours ago, kenny_st said:

guys at my local track said the same thing about the plug and the fact it only lasted a few heat cycles but even the best plugs don't last long after the running in period anyway 

I did have a suspision that it was the spark plug, but it was sparking fine when checking it. Il be keeping a couple spare cmr7's with me whenever I take it out from now on though. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

A faulty spark plug won't spark when under compression.  Had it a few times on motorbikes, cars etc.  That's why most garage mechanics will first fit a set of spark plugs when fixing a non runner. 

Edited by JonnyUK