• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Idea please

monkeymoped

Just got a Tamiya wild one and looking to restore and update it but what and where can I find this part the fuse thingy that sits just above the motor towards the main chassis would have a pic but Can't post any 

Edited by monkeymoped
Spelling error

is this the part ?  if yes there are some 2nd hand ones on ebay  or new from the usa . or go for a esc .. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-waterproof-esc-sbec/rc-car-products/404964 . think this is the go to one , but there are lots to chose from ... 

maxresdefault_LI.jpg

Edited by jea

15 hours ago, monkeymoped said:

Cheers ollienz 

Not sure what to go for yet as may update it and get a more powerful motor in it 

That type of mechanical speed controller only has 3 positions full/half/low speed (that's what the resistor is for). Unless you're trying to do a full restoration, swapping the mechanical speed controller out for a modern ESC will put you leaps and bounds ahead in terms of controllability and efficiency 

Edited by OllieNZ

Yes it is. Something around the 17.5t level would suit it well, faster than stock, but not too fast for the chassis to handle.

In terms of gear, I'd recommend the Tamiya TBLE-02 ESC due to its affordable price and gentle gearbox-friendly throttle profile, along with a Turnigy Trackstar sensored brushless motor due to its affordability, easily accessible connectors and red anodising which looks great with the Wild One rollcage. 

Edited by XV Pilot

• 2 months later...
On 02/04/2018 at 10:55, XV Pilot said:

Yes it is. Something around the 17.5t level would suit it well, faster than stock, but not too fast for the chassis to handle.

In terms of gear, I'd recommend the Tamiya TBLE-02 ESC due to its affordable price and gentle gearbox-friendly throttle profile, along with a Turnigy Trackstar sensored brushless motor due to its affordability, easily accessible connectors and red anodising which looks great with the Wild One rollcage. 

What Lipo battery would you recommend bearing in mind that it will need to be a hump back one and what charger to go with battery as I want to really stretch the chassis capabilities 

The Wild One doesn't need a hump back battery - a standard stick pack shaped LiPo will do nicely. I like the Core RC ones from Modelsport, as they are a good match for both the curvature and the length of a NiMH or NiCad pack, and thus fit pretty much all vintage Tamiyas without modification.

As for the charger, I use an Overlander RC6-VSR. It works reliably and quite quietly even when the fan engages.