• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Turn or KVA?

Spriggan

Hi guys, 

I'm planning on dipping my toe into the 1/10 buggy racing scene this summer.  I've got me buggy, an Sworkz S12, and now looking at what racing setup to put in it.  

The guys at the local track have said 7.5 -8.5 Turn motors would be fine, but recommended to go with the 7.5T

When I asked 'Why Turn rather than KVA', they said it was easier to understand.... Well, I'm confused! 

Looked at the Trackstar motors on Hobbyking, there are two 7.5T motors, one 5135kv and the other 4210kv clearly quite a big difference in speed. The same with the 8.5T motors @ 3807kv & 4620kv.  Clearly you cant relate Turns to speed output of the motor. 

So which motor is best to use, a high Turn rating with a low kv, or a low Turn rating with a high kv????   

Personally, I'd go for the lower kv because it'll be easy to gear and will run different gear ratios without complaining by way of excessive heat. However, the racers will possibly say that because of the short duration of the races, it's OK to run the higher kv.

Assuming you're limited to 2S, the higher kv will be faster.