• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ollie's SST RestoMod

OllieNZ

Hi All,

I've recently acquired a Schumacher SST sport and will be carrying out a ground up rebuild and modernisation of the electrics.

As the car arrived 

38643447520_eff5ea9057_c.jpg

As it currently stands

39557862775_131a5b89ca_c.jpg

This will be a longish term build so may be a while in between updates 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Looking forward to this, I think it deserved a good bit of restoration :D 

Thanks for giving me the opportunity ;)

Still deciding on exact final direction but I kind of fancy a rally rather than a touring car build. I find the rally cars of the era more appealing than the BTCC cars. The original SST rally version was a Subaru Impreza WRC but I'd quite like to do a Toyota Corolla WRC. However it goes it probably won't be officially raced but it won't be a shelf queen either especially as spares availability is surprisingly good.

1 minute ago, OllieNZ said:

Thanks for giving me the opportunity ;)

Still deciding on exact final direction but I kind of fancy a rally rather than a touring car build. I find the rally cars of the era more appealing than the BTCC cars. The original SST rally version was a Subaru Impreza WRC but I'd quite like to do a Toyota Corolla WRC. However it goes it probably won't be officially raced but it won't be a shelf queen either especially as spares availability is surprisingly good.

I was half tempted myself, but anytime we go to anywhere with gravel or anything rally-ish, I find myself opting for the Yeti or the SC10.

It would certainly make for an interesting project though.

6 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I was half tempted myself, but anytime we go to anywhere with gravel or anything rally-ish, I find myself opting for the Yeti or the SC10.

It would certainly make for an interesting project though.

I'm thinking more of a tarmac rally setup :D

11 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Eeek please don't take it rallying

Don't worry I'll be keeping it on road only. I've read that the belt drives aren't a fan of stones and judging by the damage to the rear diff pulley I'd say that's quite true.

I've been looking back at some of the rally cars of the era and it reminded me of Kiwi rally legend of the time, Possum Bourne, he unfortunately passed away due to an accident in 2003. I'm thinking I may do a replica of his 1998 WRC Impreza hill climb car he won The Race to the Sky with in back in 2001 beating (against the odds) reigning champion Monster Tajimia's Pikes Peak Escudo (which would be an interesting build in it's own right). I'm struggling to find many images of the car from back then so it could be a bit fun. The car continued being run after Possum's death but in a different livery by Kenneth Eriksson from 2004-2007 but he couldn't manage to repeat Possum's success and defeat Monster. The Race to the Sky stopped after 2007 and was bought back in 2015 and the car was driven to another Race to the Sky victory by Alister McRae.

Possum's car then:

40429616092_19e83ca6cb_c.jpg

It's 2004 on livery:

39762581144_5caabc578b_c.jpg

The competition in the form of Monster's Escudo

25602086017_7dcf115b2b_z.jpg

Some other tarmac WRC cars of the time:

39762581394_a05f514f28_c.jpg

25602086107_e390b38da6.jpg

39762581644_7b59f719e3_c.jpg

Edited by OllieNZ

2 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Looking clean :D

Are those parts expensive?

I can honestly say I didn't spot them like that, I wish I had wired it up and tested it better now.

Let me know if you want a little money back, feel bad about that.

Don't worry about it. There's no way you'd have picked up the issues without disassembling the car to the level I have. It looked like the front end had been adjusted to account for the bend and the rear pulley is not visible without major disassembly.

Not horrendously, £15 for a new pulley and belt. Less than a couple of quid on eBay for enough 316 stainless rod to redo all the pins on the car a couple of times over.

The majority of parts are available new from Schumacher and most of the suspension stuff is still used on the current models.

11 minutes ago, OllieNZ said:

Don't worry about it. There's no way you'd have picked up the issues without disassembling the car to the level I have. It looked like the front end had been adjusted to account for the bend and the rear pulley is not visible without major disassembly.

Not horrendously, £15 for a new pulley and belt. Less than a couple of quid on eBay for enough 316 stainless rod to redo all the pins on the car a couple of times over.

The majority of parts are available new from Schumacher and most of the suspension stuff is still used on the current models.

Well if you're sure :) I never like to sell someone a dud.

You're doing a nice job of it though, I'm glad it's getting some attention, rather than just gathering dust :good:

Interesting build. I bought an SST Axis new when they first came out. Should have been an awesome car. But I had endless trouble with stones jamming and shredding the belt and spur. This was racing it at a tarmac car park. Not rallying. Was much better indoors on carpet. 

12 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Well if you're sure :) I never like to sell someone a dud.

You're doing a nice job of it though, I'm glad it's getting some attention, rather than just gathering dust :good:

I'm sure. Just one of the risks of buying a used car IMO, as long as the seller has been honest (as I feel you were) I don't have an issue. I do appreciate the offer though :good: (On a side note I need to stop looking at your for sale stuff, you dad doesn't fancy swapping the SCT-10 for a Mauler by any chance? :ph34r:)

12 hours ago, 300bhp/ton said:

Interesting build. I bought an SST Axis new when they first came out. Should have been an awesome car. But I had endless trouble with stones jamming and shredding the belt and spur. This was racing it at a tarmac car park. Not rallying. Was much better indoors on carpet. 

Looking at the Axis they do seem to have a more open design especially the fact the spur sticks down through the chassis. Even though I'm planning a rally build I very much doubt it will see any off road use and I'd love to track down some of the optional factory rally covers but I doubt they exist any more so I may make my own.

59 minutes ago, OllieNZ said:

I'm sure. Just one of the risks of buying a used car IMO, as long as the seller has been honest (as I feel you were) I don't have an issue. I do appreciate the offer though :good: (On a side note I need to stop looking at your for sale stuff, you dad doesn't fancy swapping the SCT-10 for a Mauler by any chance? :ph34r:)

Looking at the Axis they do seem to have a more open design especially the fact the spur sticks down through the chassis. Even though I'm planning a rally build I very much doubt it will see any off road use and I'd love to track down some of the optional factory rally covers but I doubt they exist any more so I may make my own.

As tempting as that would be, I think he wants to try and get something to put a Landy or Jeep body on... Something a little bit more 'scale' I think from seeing myself and my brother-in-law trailing together, he wants something to sort of match them and his Scout just doesn't do it in the looks department lol.

I'm sure I could do you a deal on it though, by way of apology for the broken parts, drop me a PM if you fancy :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to knocking up the new pins

40130075884_7a891f125d_c.jpg

I'm not sure what the purpose of the grooves was originally but they aren't necessary and Schumacher no longer sell the grooved pins.

Slowly going back together, couldn't resist a test fit of the new battery pack. I'm going to have to get some longer battery posts though. 

40843157561_01e14b7caf_c.jpg

4 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Do you have some kind of cutting machine for doing that?

That's very neat indeed.

Only the MK1 eyeball and a set of tin snips (I did make a template though) then clamped it to the car and marked the holes for drilling. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Ever get this old shuey going???

Not yet.

It's on the back burner for the moment. I've had to replace one of my 1:1 cars, spend out on the other one and haven't really had time either. I'm currently redoing my garage to give me some workshop space so hopefully I'll get back on it soon.