• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help! Idle screw & glow plugs

Oloko155

I am trying to tune my idle screw on a nitro rc car.. but when I tighten/untighten it doesn't move..

also how do glow plugs work (which one is right for my engine)

There are many types (sizes of engines like .14 .16 .18 .21 .28) but I don't know which glow plug is right for each..

please if someone can explain how the numbers work e.g. Glow plug n.3 n.4 n.5.. does it mean the higher the number is the higher it burns or hotter it gets? Many thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which glow plug?

Add which fuel also.

What do you have?

What motor is in it?

Is it a standard or turbo head in it - different types of plug.

How old is it?

What fuel do you have in it?

Simply, set the carb to the manufacturer's stock settings - which are normally slightly rich to ensure good lubrication and limit possible overheating - particularly if the motor's new.

When you are setting the needles, they relate to the hands of a clock. You CAREFULLY (NEVER, NEVER force it) screw clockwise until just firmly closed, then count turns out from closed.

Typically, many have the screw head flush with the mounting it's in as close to setting, particularly the high range needle.

Check your manual first.

10 hours ago, Oloko155 said:

but when I tighten/untighten it doesn't move

What part dosent move, the idle screw head or the carb slide valve? If you remove the air filter and look down the carb then you will see the carb slide valve and a gap at one end, the idle gap. If the idle screw moves then this gap will get bigger/smaller depending on direction you turn the screw. Set the idle gap according to engine manual.

If you know the make/size of the engine then hopefully you can find an online manual or reference to the recommended glow plug type.

Plenty of online articles to find such as...https://www.osengines.com/glowplugs/index.html

Each glow plug supplier tends to use their own method of numbering.