• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Baja queries. [And progress]

Vr5fx

I almost mentioned the combo that Dan was selling, but thought you didn't want to spend that much. The Max5 is a good ESC, shame it won't do odd cell counts, but that's not so bad really. If you get a pit-card for it, remember it plugs into the fan port, I forgot that and got very frustrated! :lol:

Seems to be running well.

I've fitted KM front brakes, definitely stops a lot quicker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I almost mentioned the combo that Dan was selling, but thought you didn't want to spend that much. The Max5 is a good ESC, shame it won't do odd cell counts, but that's not so bad really. If you get a pit-card for it, remember it plugs into the fan port, I forgot that and got very frustrated! :lol:

Seems to be running well.

I've fitted KM front brakes, definitely stops a lot quicker. 

I didn't want to spend anywhere near that much. But then after sitting on it for a few hours it started to eat the back of my mind, so to cure the problem, I bought it. Beans on toast for the next 2 weeks. :whistling:

I've got, and pretty much always had hobbywing ESCs, so hopefully, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to work with, but I imagine it will be plug and play... :D

My Quicrun doesn't pick up 5s with auto count, which is odd, must be a "thing" with the HW ESC's

Front brakes would be a good shout, would that work with reverse, or do you only have it forward only? I assume you use a Y lead to split signal?

Might look into it at some point, not for a while though.

It's most definitely a Hobbywing thing (that rhymes:lol:) , don't know why they won't change it, first world problems! :lol:

Turn reverse off? Nah, just drag the locked front wheels, it's fine for short distances. Yup, Y-lead. Oh, and a servo reverser cos it was going the wrong way. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wooo! It's taken a month but it went out for it's maiden today.

Have to say, very chuffed. Got a video of the first straight on 8s against another Baja flux

Gearing is 16/57, motor only got warm, so definitely room to play with the gearing some more.

Will try 18/57, and then if it's still good I'll go to a 55 spur. ^_^

Only issue that I've got, is that there is a clicking somewhere in the drive train, though nothing is binding, and can't tell where it's coming from for the life of me.

Will just keep going till it breaks.

RIP rear wing.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Been a journey. Shortly after building it and ran it a few times I bought the shorty conversion. Many headaches and trials.
Ended up shelving it for a while, as I was waiting for parts to come into stock. Ended up digging out the 3D printer and designed a battery tray and radio box. Decided I wanted a cage for it too, so cut one of those up.

?

I think it's pretty much there. I'll redesign the battery tray at some point, when this one breaks.

Baja shorty flux;

IMG_20180722_111818

IMG_20180722_111822

IMG_20180617_204042

And ended up killing a tyre.

IMG_20180722_112409

• Like 2