• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

13.5 or 10.5 motor???

jsdcas07

Hi, Just after other thought on this..

Currently I am running an Xray T4, 15

With, Team Corally – Cerix PRO 120, 
With 2nd hand 13.5 dynamite dps motor. With Can Timing at 40 degrees.
Geared 31 / 76 =FDR 4.66. 

But now looking for more power, I know many will say just add Boost and Turbo on the ESC. However, Last time I did this, just all went wrong, so for me this is not an option.

I feel with my current set up, the motor has not got any more to give.

My options are,

1)    Newer 13.5 will this give me the same power / performance?

2)    Go with a 10.5, Maybe some negative can timing, giving more torque, and same top speed as current setup?

I Like the way the binky set up work smooth, but just need a little bit more go in the car.

Hope that has all made senice, just after others thought and suggestion on this?

I think there are a lot of options for you here.

I’ve not done this myself yet, but the appeal of running a 3S LiPo certainly has potential for quite a performance hike. And assuming your motor/ESC can handle the voltage, is an easy cheap upgrade.

With regards to motor timing. In my racing days with brushed race motors, we did used to play about with this. But as a rule would result in the motor running hotter and wearing out quicker. I’ve not messed about with it on brushless motors yet, but suspect it may lead to similar conclusions.

Likewise, I’ve not delved into the programming modes too much. So don’t know what gains you can get here and ones that won’t have other side effects. I suspect changing the hardware is likely to have a bigger impact however.

In terms of brushless motor turns. This is still something I’m getting used to. And I know the Kv rating and the actual make/spec of the motor is more important than just the turn rating, as there is little consistency in the market on how these are rated.

I come from racing brushed RC’s from yesteryear. For most racing an 11 to 13 turn brushed race motor was more than sufficient. And a nice bashing motor performance wise. And would give ok’ish runtimes on the old style batteries we had back then. On modern LiPo’s these motors truly scream and are great performers.

I still have a stack of new brushed boxed race motors that I’m working my way through as bashing motors. As well as some new brushless ones.

I recently fitted a GoolRC 8.5T to a 2wd buggy I have and run a 9T brushless in a 4wd stadium truck. The motors run well. But I’ll  be honest and say the performance is not so different from the 11 turn brushed motors I have. The biggest difference is better runtimes with the brushless setups.

Maybe more expensive ESC/brushless setups run better than mine I don’t know. Anyhow, what I’m saying is, if you are after a performance hike, maybe a brushless motor of at least 9 Turns or lower would be the way to go on a 2S setup?

For Touring car racing I regularly ran an 11x2 brushed motor, and this was 15+ years ago on NiMh cells. I’m not sure a 13.5T brushless would really compare favourably. When I stopped racing I was running a 10x6 or 9x2 in a 2wd buggy. Which IMO went better than any of my current brushless setups. Although 5min 30sec was about the best I could muster runtime from those setups back then.

From what use I’ve had of them, I like the GoolRC and TrackStar brushless motors and for the price they seem good value vs the performance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jsdcas07 said:

But now looking for more power, I know many will say just add Boost and Turbo on the ESC. However, Last time I did this, just all went wrong, so for me this is not an option.

Boost/turbo will need to be adjusted linearly with your timing otherwise it won't correlate properly leading to irregular boost/lack of boost/too much boost at the wrong RPM, its tricky to get right as every motor ESC combo is different

I set my lads lrp flow wt ESC for boost to correlate with timing after mid range had peaked

Its not dissimilar to setting up an aftermarket turbo on a car....but as having no dyno you rely on past experience and field testing to adjust

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Thank for your replies and suggestion…

3S LiPo, I would not be fit, or aloud to race at the track, as it 2s only, but good thought... 

My current set up i have already advance the timing on the motor to about 40 Deg, but I am getting hotter motor temp and also in a 5 min race, I find the power is fading…

I have tried bost and turbo, But for some reason, and no one know why, (have had about 3 different ESC and Motors) after a few mins running it cogges… and caused many problems, Also I like the way blinky runs, smooth.

I am looking at as a cheap option a

turnigy TrackStar 10.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 3730KV

as If this does not give what I am after, it if not a too much of an costly mistake.  

But interesting, done some research, and the current 13.5 DPS dynamite when new only gave 2573KV, where a new one again looking at Turnigy or Hobbyking, are about 3730KV…

The reason I am confused is currently I have a great set up, I have only been racing for about 9 month and gone from back of the pack to regularly coming 1st /2nd /3rd. But really driving the motor to hot… and losing power thought the race…

Thank you for any help and suggestion…

it been a great motor, the DPS, was supprised to find it with a low KV rating... 

I might be wrong in this way i look at it, but a 

13.5t with 2573KV Vs 13.5t 3040KV should give a but more go, But putting a 10t motor with 3730KV is like going from a 2.0L to a V6? less stress on it, and give me more punch..