• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Flysky GT3B/C or Alternative?

Bix

So with mine and the boys fleet growing by the month these days the need for a couple of multi receiver transmitters is now on the cards. 

Read plenty about the Flysky GT3C and aware of all the pros, being cost, functionality to price ratio and dirt cheap receivers. From what I’ve read the only big issue is with the power button, just wondered if this is still the case? Most of what I’ve read is from a while back.

I know it’s a relatively simple fix but my soldering skills are pretty poor and I’d prefer not to bugger about if possible. If it saved the faff I’d happily get a couple of GT3B’s instead and use rechargeable batteries. That’s unless theres another alternative I’ve overlooked?

Budget wise I’d probably say £50 max for the transmitter and receivers around the £20 mark. 

Cheers  

Edited by Bix

i got a silver gt3c off amazon, no issues here, would highly recommend it, bonus of buying from amazon is that if you receive it and there is an issue the return process is so simple, click return on your account due to fault, emails you a postage label, put it back in the box and send, get your money back, no fuss

but you will love the gt3c, i use mine to control two cars at the moment, the menu is simple, easy to change between cars, can also set end points which is very important for your steering, plus other features like expo which i like when doing high speed runs as it makes it easier to keep the car running in a straight line

Spektrum every time, the fly sky stuff is cheap for a reason, it’s cheap! 

The spektrum/futaba/sanwa sets feel much better quality in hand and features, receivers are a little pricey compared to the fly sky though.

personally I would say, spent the most you can afford.

i wouldn’t want to turn up at a meet with a fancy Rc all controlled with el cheapo radio gear. I’ve spent just as much on the tools, batteries, radios, servos and workshop consumables over time that would probably cost as much as the Rc I have too, (nothing I own is stock either :good:)

dont spend the most you can afford, buy the best you can afford, but also buy to your needs

i dont need a frsky taranis that has a 2 mile connection because most of my cars wont be more than 50m away from me

i dont enter high speed competitions so a minor glitch in connection wont affect me, not that i've had any issues like that

yes the flyskys are cheap but doesn't make them bad, the cheaper plastic casing doesn't make my cars drive badly 

1 hour ago, big gaz said:

Spektrum every time, the fly sky stuff is cheap for a reason, it’s cheap! 

The spektrum/futaba/sanwa sets feel much better quality in hand and features, receivers are a little pricey compared to the fly sky though.

personally I would say, spent the most you can afford.

i wouldn’t want to turn up at a meet with a fancy Rc all controlled with el cheapo radio gear. I’ve spent just as much on the tools, batteries, radios, servos and workshop consumables over time that would probably cost as much as the Rc I have too, (nothing I own is stock either :good:)

Sorry, Gotta kick in here, Flysky is cheap for a reason, It's cheap, That's it, That's the best you can come up with, Cos spectrum stuff has never suffered from glitching or range problems has it. Receivers are a little pricey, Try 6 x more pricey.

You turning up at a meet with a fancy all singing all dancing 500 quid Sanwa setup will do 1 of 2 things,  Help you to drive like Masami Hirosaka and look like the god of the track, Or just help you look like you know what your doing, If that works for you, All great, But someone turning up with a Flysky may not look as cool as you, But in the hands of said Masami Hirosaka, You don't stand a chance, I mean, He did OK with an old AM setup.

The Flysky is a great bit of kit, Receivers are a fiver a pop, The handset has a 10 model radio and is a solid as any of the cheaper stuff(Including Spectrum),  And if your out in the field one cold wet windy day, Your not gonna be having kittens cos your 300 quid handset is covered in mud rain and all sorts of gunk.

Edited by babylon
  • Like 2

Glad to hear no one has had issues with the power button in their GT3Cs. 

I feel both points of view hold merit in regards to going with a ‘cheap’ brand or a more ‘premium’ brand like Spektrum. My main reservation with FlySky was the long term quality/reliability which is why I started the thread tbh. But its seems there’s no complaints from those who do have them!

If I was to go with Spektrum I thought I’d price up the required 2x transmitters and 4x receivers and would realistically be looking at the best part of £300. My boy actually has a DX2E atm which I got on the forum used. The steering spring did break a month or two ago but easily replaced and has been fine apart from that. It isn’t multi model to the best of my knowledge so I’d sell it and keep the receiver.

In terms of quality ‘feel’ I actually prefer my Traxxas TQi but they are mega expensive and I’ve had two of the cheaper TQ models fail so not inclined to give them more money!

In conclusion I could get 2x transmitters and 5x receivers for around the £100 mark going FlySky, I could even get a spare transmitter and Id still have an extra £150 in my pocket which can stay in the kitty for breakages, hop ups and new bits.

Dont mean to answer my own question but like I said just wanted to get some feedback on FlySky reliability or if I’d overlooked any other brands in between.

Everyone has their own opinion though like most things in RC. I love our Traxxas cars which some might say are overpriced, it’s all about where you feel the money is well spent :good:

Edited by Bix

Those with deep pockets may tend towards top end possibly because they have top end models, others with less or dont care will try lower end.  All things may break but at least it shouldnt hurt if it was a lower end piece of kit.

I've got GT3B x2 with upgraded firmware, changed voltage regulator and run rechargebale AAs. I prefer the weight and the feel of it to lipo version. Receivers are only £3-4 and they do the job I need in my numerous models. Just a basher with short pockets.

Really am having a dilemma now lol!

The GT3C is ready to go out the box with potentially some faff required down the line if the I’m unlucky with the power button. The form factor and orange colour will likely appeal to the boy more.

The GT3B will be ready to go with rechargeable AA’s but with the potential of lipo conversion and regulator should the mood take me. Total cost after lipo purchase and voltage regulator may work out more expensive though.

Hows the battery life on the GT3C? Having done some research this afternoon the GT3B will last ages with the regulator and battery mod. Just weighing up if it’s worth the effort or keep it simple and stick with the GT3C? 

i didn't use a regulator on my 2x b's..there fine....:yes:and  the lipos were about 4-5 quid each from hobbyking....and i used 2x plugs i had here to solder on:good:..i.left on one of mine all night and it dropped by not even half a volt....

:D

Edited by evssv

Just now, evssv said:

i didn't use a regulator ony 2x b's..there fine....:yes:and  the lipos were about 4-5 quid each from hobbyking....and i used 2x plugs i had here to solder on:good:

That’s good to know, how do you manage low voltage cut off? Does the transmitter have that functionality built in?

guy at our track has had his gt3c for over a year and all good, my 2 are only a couple of months old but haven't had any problems. there cheap but good and I like using the fs range. apparently if you order from overseas they come with a bigger  battery, not sure how true that is tho 

Edited by kenny_st

You do know that a lipo conversion is not a must, Your making more of this than you need, I have had a few GT3B's, And it's all I use at the moment, It lasts ages with half decent batteries, So much so i can't be bothered with a lipo conversion. 

• Like 1

Think I’ll go with the GT3B, I do have at least 24 decent AAs to get through so I can use them up and at least I have the option to convert to lipo should I feel the need. 

Thanks for for all the advise and input everyone :good:

No massive rush as we have two transmitters and 3 receivers in our current cars. Just forward planning for once we finish the two Tamiya builds we have on the go atm.

20 minutes ago, kenny_st said:

ok I have a brand new 3b still in bubble rap and a receiver if you pay the postage you can have it :thumbsup:  but I can only get to the post office on Thursdays 

Mate that’s incredibly generous of you! Expect a PM in a minute, we’ll have to agree an additional token payment figure as I can’t be that cheeky :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babylon said:

Sorry, Gotta kick in here, Flysky is cheap for a reason, It's cheap, That's it, That's the best you can come up with, Cos spectrum stuff has never suffered from glitching or range problems has it. Receivers are a little pricey, Try 6 x more pricey.

You turning up at a meet with a fancy all singing all dancing 500 quid Sanwa setup will do 1 of 2 things,  Help you to drive like Masami Hirosaka and look like the god of the track, Or just help you look like you know what your doing, If that works for you, All great, But someone turning up with a Flysky may not look as cool as you, But in the hands of said Masami Hirosaka, You don't stand a chance, I mean, He did OK with an old AM setup.

The Flysky is a great bit of kit, Receivers are a fiver a pop, The handset has a 10 model radio and is a solid as any of the cheaper stuff(Including Spectrum),  And if your out in the field one cold wet windy day, Your not gonna be having kittens cos your 300 quid handset is covered in mud rain and all sorts of gunk.

Suppose we will have to agree to disagree,  I’ll turn up to a meet or scale comp with my modded rig and use my spektrum radio, comfy in hand for longer periods of time, I can smoke and drive. Not turn up with something out of a cracker :good:

whilst your kicking into this,  as a example, you spend 30k on a new car, do you use bargain basement engine oil or fully synthetic with all the bells and whistles?

spektrum have served me well for over 10 years so I’ll stick with them thank you. And any Rc is as good as the rest of the stuff that makes it work.

or why pay a grand or so for a 5ive t and use a £20 radio set, false economy....

anyway each to there own I guess.

Suppose we will have to agree to disagree,  I’ll turn up to a meet or scale comp with my modded rig and use my spektrum radio, comfy in hand for longer periods of time, I can smoke and drive. Not turn up with something out of a cracker :good:

whilst your kicking into this,  as a example, you spend 30k on a new car, do you use bargain basement engine oil or fully synthetic with all the bells and whistles?

spektrum have served me well for over 10 years so I’ll stick with them thank you. And any Rc is as good as the rest of the stuff that makes it work.

or why pay a grand or so for a 5ive t and use a £20 radio set, false economy....

anyway each to there own I guess.

There are some positives to an expensive radio, usually good and reliable I would put Futaba and Sawna however from the Spectrum gear doesn't seem to match the same quality as either the top boys and they get a bad rap for reliability, of course not all radios will have issues but that is the same across all the price ranges!

On the oil front, if it has a spec that the manufacturer recommends then as long as the oil meets that spec it can be used long term without issue! I have a VW and buy my oil from VW (Fuchs) £17 for 5litres compared to the Castrol equivalent which fetches £45 for 5litres what do you think the garages use when people put the car in for a service?

If I could afford a Futaba I would buy one if I had the money to buy a spektrum I would buy a FlySky just personal preference.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk