• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Undergeared = Motor Overheating?

Bix

I stuck a spare Velineon system into my Outlaw yesterday after adapting the motor and spur housing to accommodate the longer shaft.

EFBD524B-4491-4841-A205-D62F8D83BBF7.thumb.jpeg.07fa39b74d3dc6a681505738d55f8801.jpeg5E08F9B7-94FE-42EF-810E-210013D54CE4.thumb.jpeg.ba7d665b40286b9bd5fec6f828a1d3b6.jpeg

It cogs a little on pick up but really flys afterwards and I don’t intend on using it for crawling so not a massive issue. 

After about 20 minutes the ESC went into low voltage protection. When I went to change the battery the motor was hotter than usual compared to when it’s running in the 2wd Stampede it’s normally in. The ESC on the other hand was completely cool. I don’t have an accurate way of measuring temperate so ‘hotter’ is the best I can do! This was running the same 2S 5600mah 50-100c Nanotech Lipo that I run in everything pretty much. 

I was running the 17t pinion, would sticking the 23t in transfer some of the load to the ESC and reduce the heat of the motor?

I understand the basics of gearing as in, smaller pinion = acceleration and bigger pinion = top speed. But I’ve never encountered a really hot motor before, only encountered an overheated ESC which I cured by gearing down, so I assumed gearing up would work in reducing the motor heat?

Edited by Bix

18 minutes ago, sunny said:

Personally I would try a 19T pinion and see from there, in terms of temps could you hold your finger on the motor for 5 secs without being burnt?

19T pinion would increase load not take the load off. Go 14T or 13T

J

• Like 1

Right , your on a pushbike and you are going uphill.What front cog do you select?? Small means you are pedelling faster but not going fast , large front cog means you are going faster but using more energy and you are getting knackered.Same principle with gearing on cars.

J

Few conflicting views here and unfortunately I’m limited to either 17t or 23t in the Outlaw as they only have two non adjustable mount. The spur is 65t I believe and they don’t offer any other options for that either! Real pain coming from traxxas cars which you can get almost any size of either that you want! 

In terms of the 3-5 second rule, I’d say 2 seconds was the limit right after taking the shell off. I’ll run a stampede side by side on the same battery and see if there really is that much difference. Worth mentioning I was doing a fair bit of stop and starting as I was in the garden. 

The battery probably didn’t last as long as usual either but I’m guessing as it’s 4wd instead of 2wd which I’ve run this combo in before it’s going to take its toll.

As I’m so limited with gearing options what’s the alternative to keep temps down? Motor fans? Never known how effective they really are?

1 hour ago, sunny said:

Some more info on this thread from a while back:

I read similar threads in a few places stating something similar which is why gearing up was my initial thought. @yoodoo‘s video does conflict this tho :shockingscary:

2 hours ago, Deafty said:

gear down 1st, then try higher.  Much better for your leccy if its wrong ;)

I’m as low as I can go without a custom motor mount, looks like I’m gonna have to gear up and keep a close eye on temps!

Wouldnt mind if it wasn’t such a pain to change it over!

5 minutes ago, Bix said:

I’m as low as I can go without a custom motor mount, looks like I’m gonna have to gear up and keep a close eye on temps!

Wouldnt mind if it wasn’t such a pain to change it over!

Yeah should be fine trying a bigger one, just check themps before the end of the run this time. If you find it is too big a pinion you know who to ask for a custom motor mount now!

Edited by Zannu
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bix said:

As I’m so limited with gearing options what’s the alternative to keep temps down? Motor fans? Never known how effective they really are?

That's one way, imo not the correct way....

Fans are great, for running in summer when high ambient temps increase the overheating risk