• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Super clod buster advice please

forbs

Hi chaps. 

Im after a new kit to build with my daughter. We did the lunchbox a few years ago, the mad rat kit last year and now we are looking at the super clod buster. 

She loves the lunchbox but would be good to have somthing that can be used for a bit of off road crawling and is slightly more capable. 

As the clod buster has a cult following i was wondering if companys still exist that sell custom parts for the clod buster to make it better and stronger off road ? Upgraded chassis and shocks etc.. 

It is kind of becoming a tradition at christmas time that we build some kind of kit so i thought this would be ideal ! 

Cheers guys 

The clod has a huge following and aftermarket part support but predominantly in the US, so you'll need to order from there. Rcbitz in the UK also stocks some parts, like wheels and tyres. You can pretty much use any shock of the right size on it.

There's a few chassis available from people like Crawford Performance Engineering and the like.  RC4WD also carries parts. If you do a Google search for Trigger King, you'll see a ton of custom Clods being used there.  http://www.clodparts.com is also a good resource.

There's also the alternative of a Tamiya TXT 2.  Matteo movies on YouTube has an awesome video of a hopped up TXT 2 with clod wheels on YouTube.

Edited by mond

19 minutes ago, mond said:

The clod has a huge following and aftermarket part support but predominantly in the US, so you'll need to order from there. Rcbitz in the UK also stocks some parts, like wheels and tyres. You can pretty much use any shock of the right size on it.

There's a few chassis available from people like Crawford Performance Engineering and the like.  RC4WD also carries parts. If you do a Google search for Trigger King, you'll see a ton of custom Clods being used there.  http://www.clodparts.com is also a good resource.

There's also the alternative of a Tamiya TXT 2.  Matteo movies on YouTube has an awesome video of a hopped up TXT 2 with clod wheels on YouTube.

Thanks for your input thats is just what i wanted to hear !. 

I think im pretty set on the super clod buster as the price and ability to use it from the get go are a big advantage in my eyes. The txt 2 is a bit out of our price range and they dont look as good as the original txt i think if i could have afforded one at the time i would have got one of those :)

Thanks again. Dave :)

47 minutes ago, mond said:

I've mentioned the TXT2 as its slightly more modern than the clod and yeah, I agree, the original TXT looks better!

Yeah great mention. Tbh i didnt even know it existed 

49 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Clod Buster is easy to mod. Axle mounted steering servos make a big improvement. Also fitting a proper 4 link suspension system helps. 

My Bigfoot 16 Clod Buster

A9747776-400_A-4306-_B89_D-_FBAD0_CEC7_D

3_E490_D0_F-822_D-4_B8_D-9_C1_D-_E87_B3_

Bigfoot and TXT-2

53364_A62-_B12_F-485_E-975_E-8_FF97_DE3_

TXT-2 chassis is a lot different to the Clod Buster

7858095_C-467_F-4750-9189-1_DE3_ACF75_C3

Nice ! Is that your clod? 

15 hours ago, johninderby said:

Yes it is. 1/8 HPI Ford ickup shell.

John

I suppose the clue was my clod lol 

Where did you get your parts mate ?

Thanks a bunch. Dave 

Made all the brackets for the shock mounts and servo mounts myself from aluminium angle section. Made the four link setup from stainless steel tube, M3 threaded rod and RC4WD rod ends. 

Crawford Engineering is a good source of ready made Clod parts though.

http://crawfordperformanceengineering.com/index.php?cPath=1_23

I took the idea of the Crawford servo mounts but by using angle section was able to have a bit sticking out at the front to protect the servo. Again used Ali section to make the lower shock mounts.

John

A10_A3_ABE-_B0_D7-42_C8-_BB91-9_E2_E45_E

Edited by johninderby