• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

going though glow plugs like hot cakes

newnitroer

Hey,

So just wondering what would cause me to be having to replace the glow plug on the car after every single run this week alone I got though three plugs and only have 6 left don't want to have to order anymore yet considering the 9 that I did have only just made it to the UK. The glow plugs on the Bullet lasted a good lire to half a litre of fuel sometimes even a whole litre. The S-MAXX though only goes about 2 hours before the glow plug just goes. Today I was driving going alone at half throttle and engine just cuts try a restart glow plug light did not light up on EZ start same with the other 2 times as well.

I have also checked with the glow igniter from my bullet to make sure the EZ wasn't playing up as I have read they can and do give false glow plug readings and still nothing.

Also can someone please tell me which way the gasket for the glow plug does in I got a feeling I been putting it in the wrong way and just want my mind put to rest. (I been putting it on flat side up raised side down if that makes sense) I found a picture ages ago which told you how to put it on but now cant find said picture.

Thanks for de help

8 hours ago, newnitroer said:

Also can someone please tell me which way the gasket for the glow plug does in I got a feeling I been putting it in the wrong way and just want my mind put to rest. (I been putting it on flat side up raised side down if that makes sense) I found a picture ages ago which told you how to put it on but now cant find said picture

By gasket, you mean the head button?

br2801-1.jpg

This picture shows it upside down, the conical shape always goes down, the top looks like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZJZZIG628Ox4kXYBwXuyyou can see the threaded hole in the middle, but no conical around the thread....this is the top and should face up

If you're not referring to that then nevermind!

Not blown a plug for ages. All down to tuning. I have as many issues with electric as nitro. I still prefer just filling up and go without having to plan to charge lipos.

Breaking in a new engine puts extra stress on glow plugs due to rich fuel mixture.

Always have the engine manual/exploded diagram to check parts orientation, even take pics as you disassembly.

I think the aforesaid 'gasket' must be the head button and locates as Flyinmysoup describes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, locky said:

Too rich or too lean mixture. What do the blown plugs look like, colour, coil state? 

will have a look in a bit once I take it out didn't want to take it out until I had a few replies :D 

To rich or to lean great with the cold weather we are having at the moment the leeway between to rich and to lean is very thin. I get the car tune just right then a min or 2 later it will either be screaming (suddenly gone lean) or blowing out loads of smoke (sudden rich mixture) Yet the Temps I Been getting are around 200 to 230F the highest I have seen in the pass 2 days is 240F. TRX 2.5 a lot harder to tune than the Nitro Star G3.0 :D:) 

Edited by newnitroer

5 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

By gasket, you mean the head button?

br2801-1.jpg

This picture shows it upside down, the conical shape always goes down, the top looks like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZJZZIG628Ox4kXYBwXuyyou can see the threaded hole in the middle, but no conical around the thread....this is the top and should face up

If you're not referring to that then nevermind!

By Gasket I mean the little round gold seal that comes with every glow plug you get (except turbo plugs)

20 minutes ago, newnitroer said:

I get the car tune just right then a min or 2 later it will either be screaming (suddenly gone lean) or blowing out loads of smoke (sudden rich mixture)

I dont trust smoke. Sound and performance is best. If the sound suddenly changes without you adjusting needles then possibly something else not quite right. Perhaps try sealing the carb. Only tune when engine is fully warm. Your temps are fine.

Is it screaming immediately after WOT runs with rpms hanging or after sitting at idle or...?

The copper glow plug washer goes either way and starts out flat on both sides. A step on yours suggests that it has been tightened perhaps a bit too much, either way not a real problem as long as surfaces are clean.

"Update Starts: Glow plug pic finally added sorry real life relationship stuff got in the way :D The picture is not the greatest but baiscly the coil is black (burnt black) however it is still straight. I am starting to think this plug may of been a dud anyway as when I was putting into the head it only took half or quter of a turn and the plug would already be really tight. This is despite the fact that the plug is no where yet screwed all the way down. 

The plug I justed installed (new one) did not go tight after just one very small turn and did indeed go in with no problem at all. "Update Ends"

I will be going alone WOT it will sound good and then suddenly go really lean (screaming sound) at idle it sounds fine but when I let off the trigger and it runs down to idle sometimes it will go to idle and sometimes you can hear it dropping below idle and wanting to cut out I can normally give a burst on the trigger to keep the car from cutting out (or cheat and turn on the throttle idle up on my TX before letting go of the throttle) if I am quick enough although most of the time I am not quick enough and it will cut out and then has to be left for 5 mins before I can restart it. That's another issue once it cuts out it will never just restart straight away it always has to be left for a good 5 mins. 

I increased the idle gap to try and sort the issue out but no matter how big the gap is this continues to happen, and of course once you get a certain point when adjusting the idle the car will just move as there is 2 big of gap so cant win atm :D .

glow.jpg

Edited by newnitroer
Glow Plug Pic added (see bold text)

Guessing but would richen HSN and lean the LSN. Screaming sound is usually when it's too lean. Dropping idle rpm is usually due to too rich LSN. Dont increase idle gap to compensate <1mm is usually adequate. I use a paper clip as guide, about 0.8mm.

rc-nitro-flowchart.jpg

Going to go back to factory settings and print that chart off thanks. Will upload the glow plug pic tomorrow I wouldn't know how to describe the glow plug so pic will be easier also being slight colour-blind doesn't help either when it comes to telling you colours :D 

Edited by newnitroer

On 10/11/2017 at 20:09, newnitroer said:

starting to think this plug may of been a dud anyway as when I was putting into the head it only took half or quter of a turn and the plug would already be really tight. This is despite the fact that the plug is no where yet screwed all the way down. 

The plug I justed installed (new one) did not go tight after just one very small turn and did indeed go in with no problem at all. "Update Ends"

I will be going alone WOT it will sound good and then suddenly go really lean (screaming sound) at idle it sounds fine but when I let off the trigger and it runs down to idle sometimes it will go to idle and sometimes you can hear it dropping below idle and wanting to cut out I can normally give a burst on the trigger to keep the car from cutting out (or cheat and turn on the throttle idle up on my TX before letting go of the throttle) if I am quick

Ensure you've not accidentally cross threaded the head button when fitting glow plug .

I haven't as when I put the new plug in it screw in and I primed the engine and turned it over to see if fuel was leaking from the glow plug to make sure that is was indeed on connrectly and tight and please to say that it on tight and no fuel is leaking.