• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MadBull - MadMe? Build Thread!

Gavster29

I was given a 1997 MadBull from a friend and to be honest it looks really cool!  I love the wheels as they are Lunchbox style wheels and it makes the buggy/truggy/mt thing look cool!

So I have an idea that I want to run past you guys,  I was thinking of changing out the motor, make it brushless and 2S LiPo it, I would change the ESC and put in a 2.4ghz radio.

Before I go down this route, I would like to think there are some mods that probably should be done first, I will make sure it has full race bearings, I would think the suspension should be swapped out for oil shocks also?

Any other ideas or common Tamiya fixes, I have not been a Tamiya guy before this, not because I don't want to be but I just never got round to buying my KongHead!

• Like 1

You might want to hold off on going brushless as the chassis isn't the most sophisticated. I'd go with a brushed motor aand 2s LiPo for now as it may be fast enough.

I fitted Absima oil shocks which do help a lot. Also running bigger tyres than stock.

Pretty tough and will take a lot of punishment without many mods.

John

IMG_1657.JPG

Edited by johninderby

+1 with the Absima shocks. The ones fitted to my Lunchbox have been truly wonderful and needed nothing despite my best efforts to destroy the entire machine.

Have fun! :yes:

You might want to hold off on going brushless as the chassis isn't the most sophisticated. I'd go with a brushed motor aand 2s LiPo for now as it may be fast enough.

I fitted Absima oil shocks which do help a lot. Also running bigger tyres than stock.

Pretty tough and will take a lot of punishment without many mods.

John

IMG_1657.JPG.90b34e5395d4042736318be8518422f2.JPG
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, in terms of motor this thing has a silver can, I'm guessing that is probably the standard one? Which brushed motor is a good choice?

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

+1 with the Absima shocks. The ones fitted to my Lunchbox have been truly wonderful and needed nothing despite my best efforts to destroy the entire machine.
Have fun! :yes:
Hey Nikki,

It was your post on the absima shocks that got me thinking about oil shocks, which ones did you get on the lunchie?

5 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

Hey Nikki,

It was your post on the absima shocks that got me thinking about oil shocks, which ones did you get on the lunchie?

I'm pretty sure the Lunchie shocks were specific to that model. If you don't mind waiting a little while I'll measure them :)

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

For the Madbull 75mm front and 95mm rear.

https://www.wirelessmadness.com/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=Absima dampers

John

And it appears the Lunchie shocks are the same size :)

34 minutes ago, bertberr said:

And what length eye to eye for the 5th shock, seems to be a bit of variation amongst those who've carried it out.

The shock that I've used is 85mm eye to eye. It fixes through the top and has plenty of movement for the axle to bob up and down when it wants.

• Thanks 1

Contrary to popular belief, the Mad Bull is very well suited to brushless power. I'd even go as far as to say that it is better suited to brushless than it is to brushed.

The large wheels give it a longer rollout than most cars, which can cook brushed motors if you go much below 25 turns. However longer rollouts suit brushless motors far better than their brushed brethren. Overheating is less of an issue, motors last longer and runtimes are better.

It is true that the chassis features suspension that is quite rudimentary by modern standards, so while the gearbox is more than strong enough to handle a lot of power, it is wise to go for a moderate wind otherwise you end up with an uncontrollable missile. I'd recommend no lower than 17.5t.

Contrary to popular belief, the Mad Bull is very well suited to brushless power. I'd even go as far as to say that it is better suited to brushless than it is to brushed.

The large wheels give it a longer rollout than most cars, which can cook brushed motors if you go much below 25 turns. However longer rollouts suit brushless motors far better than their brushed brethren. Overheating is less of an issue, motors last longer and runtimes are better.

It is true that the chassis features suspension that is quite rudimentary by modern standards, so while the gearbox is more than strong enough to handle a lot of power, it is wise to go for a moderate wind otherwise you end up with an uncontrollable missile. I'd recommend no lower than 17.5t.

Thank you XV so a moderate brushless motor might actually fit the bill, I fancy going wild, I might be able to tame the chassis!

I think I better rename this thread to Crazy Bull!

So I've had a quick tinker with the bull, here is a quick list....

1. Stripped down front end tightened all the screws and measured the link arms, more on that later

2. Replaced front wheel plastic bearings with race bearings

3. Rebuilt front end

4. Stripped out all the electronics

4. Removed rear gearbox opened it up and replaced all plastic bearings with race bearings

5. Greased up gearbox and fixed it all back together

6. Replaced the silver can with a Traxxas Velineon 3500kv motor

7. Refitted gearbox

8. Replaced stock ESC with Traxxas VXL 3 which is 3s compatible

9. Fitted waterproof receiver

10. Replaced tamiya connection on NiMH battery with xt60

11. Took it for a quick spin.

I now know why the grasshopper is called a grasshopper as the thing bounces so badly with standard friction shocks! I now need to do a couple of upgrades.

626aa13fbf7bf149097ae78881e939cb.jpg922010c30d1e423fdcfde0452af73eac.jpg1b1342c28a8ff61eed9e496c5be6198d.jpgf7370f1aaffb4ecbb1e75fb7bf1ca15f.jpge08ea0886665a6bd72fb999aa95fab58.jpg807ed09379cfc1da09e6eecad49715d8.jpg5f0100984dd392794a18577e887ac6e4.jpgcd11332abbea9fb7fe277f62865cb1de.jpgdcca462f265ff7c9aa4042e86e705e24.jpg78c1598c65b2dd3505603fe7e0c7db92.jpgebbddaedcec2440fe1592154268acd68.jpg3d817d001f1c1eb92b63096dcd1b27bd.jpge8f10a05689a2002c778bfbcecf93eff.jpg65cfc83163f88d6eed1312cb19ed81c3.jpg44c89565293357b6aec39ffba717d337.jpgf47fb0d4ec6b66dc566720d0539ff876.jpg0d66a085bdb6f03a191e02a98b940819.jpg301ac3d1d835a30e9f7849356285093c.jpg0479438b5a8b1484a1d7efbad96c394a.jpgb4a1b927bd9c2b11c0a614cde1e0ba83.jpg

• Like 1

You've been busy! My Lunchbox seems to have a lot of bounce in the tyres, they look identical to yours of course, so good luck with the bounciness! :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

3S...??? :D  That really would be worth seeing, all 3 seconds of it...

Yes I feel it might be a short run :insane:.... BOOM

45 minutes ago, MissT said:

You've been busy! My Lunchbox seems to have a lot of bounce in the tyres, they look identical to yours of course, so good luck with the bounciness! :P

It didn't take much, I had a few bits lying about so thought I would see what the old girl is made of!

She is running on NiMh at the mo as that is the only battery that will fit, however I will be looking at a Tamiya style 2S for the chassis :)

• Thanks 1

Video of the craziness please! 
I'll see what I can do but I'm rubbish at video while driving!

I'm just putting an order together at the mo...

77mm screw adjustable shocks front
95mm rear shocks
2s 4000mah 60c lipo
Steel 17t pinion
Red tamiya o rings for the shocks

I'm just looking for a servo and that should do.

I've got a 3D print to hopefully change the front end, it will mean I can adjust the camber of the wheels.

This thread has got me thinking..........

Just bought a new bodyshell and tyres for mine. I'll wait for payday then look for motor, esc and lipo I reckon.

Might have it finished by new year.

Probably not though!

This thread has got me thinking..........

Just bought a new bodyshell and tyres for mine. I'll wait for payday then look for motor, esc and lipo I reckon.
Might have it finished by new year.

Probably not though!
Good to be an inspiration!

I was thinking of converting my Traxxas bandit in to a Rustler but I am so glad my mate gave me the bull as the motor combo is going to be so much more fun!

I love the wheels on this thing, although I think I'm going to have to get gluing

Definitely an inspiration! :thumbsup: Good to see the mad bulls being dragged into the 21st century.

I remember mine survived pretty well without gluing tyres when it was running nimh but not sure about lipo.

Iirc, not only does it take some abuse but also handles all sorts of surfaces very well.

What lipo can you fit in there, have you researched it yet? Was looking at a 4000mah but wasn't sure if I needed more than 30c or not.

Will get shocks as a priority then I'm going to look at what can be done about the steering arms. Then just bearings and should be good to go. Was thinking of trying this for the drivetrain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoolRC-S3650-4300KV-Brushless-Motor-60A-Brushless-ESC-and-Program-Card-L1X7-/182709531286?hash=item2a8a563296:g:aSQAAOSwcNxZiqtT

There's a few other mad bull conversion threads on here so have bookmarked a few bits and pieces from them as well.