• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

Yeah the Hpi is very good with new suspension links and wheels/tyres. Really impressed with it. 

Unfortunately the Hpi suffers from parts support (maybe even more so now) to the point my daughter is talking Trx4 for Christmas.

if she does we will then be running all the same trucks so only one lot of upgrades/spare etc. to buy for....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody I was out the other day with the trx4 and the motor went up in smoke,,I am here to ask what would you guys recommend on a replacement motor I could get,I was hoping to get a dewalt motor but I’m having doubts if that motor would fit in,I would preferably like to keep my trx4 brushed as I don’t see much to gain from a brushless setup but if any of you guys here have upgraded your motors I’d love to hear about your experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, heavyDT said:

How about a Holmes hobbies 550 sports in 21 or 27 t flavour?

Cant argue with that ^^^^ :good:

there is is also the surpass hobby brushed motors on eBay for around a tenner posted. My daughter has one in her venture and it seems nice and strong although it’s first test will be this weekend....

• 1 month later...

So, not being able to get my defender back off the eldest I've picked up a sport kit last week. Started the build over the weekend but it's been slow progress. 

I didn't like the front bumper A-bar and winch so out came the knife. 

Had a 4" proline light bar kicking around and thought that might look good. A couple of home made spacers later and this is what I now have

_20190604_122328.JPG

Using a couple of the supplied brackets it bolts right up using the bumper mount screw holes on the reverse side.

Also have a 5" bar to go on the roof though may try to shorten the expedition rack first - not really keen on the look as it is. 

Edited by Daddyroo
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2019 at 18:35, Wirralnitronoob said:

Hey everybody I was out the other day with the trx4 and the motor went up in smoke,,I am here to ask what would you guys recommend on a replacement motor I could get,I was hoping to get a dewalt motor but I’m having doubts if that motor would fit in,I would preferably like to keep my trx4 brushed as I don’t see much to gain from a brushless setup but if any of you guys here have upgraded your motors I’d love to hear about your experiences

Gone through a bunch of brushed motors... Stock one lasted about three weeks... 

Gone to a dewalt drill motor.... 14.4v rs550... Solid as a rock.... Great torque... Decent top end (for a trail truck).... Good low end control.... Win win

• Like 1

Gone through a bunch of brushed motors... Stock one lasted about three weeks... 

Gone to a dewalt drill motor.... 14.4v rs550... Solid as a rock.... Great torque... Decent top end (for a trail truck).... Good low end control.... Win win

Do you have a link for that motor on eBay,? I’ve found some rs550 motors but not sure if there desalt or if that’s the right one 42130b58d52e5c789a1c32d636150ddc.jpg

Well my motor finally let go at this recent Recon G6, not too bad, over 1500 competitive gates and however many hours trailing.

my lads on the other hand only made it past the 1 yr mark.

i must be special :shockingscary:

edit, fitted the Holmes hobbies trail master 21t 550 can and its silky smooth, much like the “Igified” motors I use. Also, the kids now both run the surpass hobbies 550 motors and they are excellent for £7.71 posted.

On 10/06/2019 at 13:06, bertberr said:

I've spotted those Surpass 550 cans on ebay - are they zero timing - doesn't say on listing?

Ill double check and let you know :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of interest, i got a Sanwa MT4 - 4 channels, both aux channels being two position switches (buttons). I don't know how the TRX4 is wired (or any RC car with more than two channels for that matter), but is it possible to instead of having the diff locks on a three position switch, have them both actuate between "both locked" and "both unlocked"? 

Basically have throttle, steering, high/low gear, diffs locked/unlocked. Is that a thing, or would i only be able to actuate one of the diffs? 

On 02/07/2019 at 17:14, m4inbrain said:

Just out of interest, i got a Sanwa MT4 - 4 channels, both aux channels being two position switches (buttons). I don't know how the TRX4 is wired (or any RC car with more than two channels for that matter), but is it possible to instead of having the diff locks on a three position switch, have them both actuate between "both locked" and "both unlocked"? 

Basically have throttle, steering, high/low gear, diffs locked/unlocked. Is that a thing, or would i only be able to actuate one of the diffs? 

Theoretically you could use a Y lead to send the signal to both diff lock servos from one channel but I can't remember enough of my GCSE physics to say what this would do to the current or voltage. 

Looking at the lads defender one servo would need to operate in the other direction also. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daddyroo said:

Theoretically you could use a Y lead to send the signal to both diff lock servos from one channel but I can't remember enough of my GCSE physics to say what this would do to the current or voltage. 

Looking at the lads defender one servo would need to operate in the other direction also. 

Yeah, got the same advice in another forum, so seems sound. Y-lead with servo reverser SHOULD do the trick. I got plenty of Y leads from my plane builds, and a reverser is like 3 quid - i'll just give it a go once i decide if i want the Bronco or the Defender more. Cheers.

Edited by m4inbrain

So I picked up a sport kit about a month ago and have finally completed the build. Running Power HD servo and a1080 via a Spectrum DX4C. 

Quick rattle can paint job and a few additions/alterations - I didn't like the expedition rack so that's been cut down at the back and I've fitted a couple of proline light bars plus front and rear lights. Also cut the body to fit around the bumpers so they can be pushed right back and look more integrated with the body. Pimped my ride with rustler 2.8s and low profile trenchers. 

Now to get it dirty!!! 

_20190705_161046.JPG

Edited by Daddyroo
Added info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.banggood.com/pt/Killerbody-LC70-110-Land-Cruiser-70-Hard-RC-Car-Body-Shell-Kit-Fit-For-Traxxas-TRX4-Chassis-p-1478557.html?p=8I15039486406201703V&custlinkid=321292&ID=3193&cur_warehouse=CN

Would anyone know by chance for which wheelbase this body is? Need to know if i have to get the parts to shorten the Defender WB, or get a TRX4 Sport Kit. :D

31 minutes ago, mond said:

Not sure but the green one is for the longer wheelbase while the white one is 313mm. Not seen the brown one yet. Did you check the Killerbody site?

No because i'm dumb.

You're right, info is right there, cheers. 

http://www.killerbodyrc.com/page/prodetail.aspx?itemno=48734

It's for the long wheelbase i think, 323mm. If i recall correctly the defender has 324mm wheelbase, so that'd be close enough. Just checked the manual for the body, all three of them (white, mil green and mil desert) are 323mm wheelbase (http://www.killerbodyrc.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Hard Body Kit.pdf). 

In that case, i just found my next purchase for the TRX. :D

On 01/05/2019 at 18:35, Wirralnitronoob said:

Dewalt 550rs drops straight in..... Those drill motors are bombproof

Dewalt 550rs drops straight in..... Those drill motors are bombproof

I brought one of those along with a 80turn goul rc one from ebay,im currently running the 80t and i personally love it,its slightly shorter in length than the dewalt 550, i also brought a dewalt 550 as a spare but as i was having good experiences with the goul ive not botherd with that one yet

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wirralnitronoob said:

I brought one of those along with a 80turn goul rc one from ebay,im currently running the 80t and i personally love it,its slightly shorter in length than the dewalt 550, i also brought a dewalt 550 as a spare but as i was having good experiences with the goul ive not botherd with that one yet

I've not used a gool motor in a crawler.... Are they the rebrand ones? (black can with copper coloured end bell) 

When your gool goes.... Try your 550rs...

I liked the durability, at low speed it's smooth... With a decent kick for top end trailing

• Like 1

I've not used a gool motor in a crawler.... Are they the rebrand ones? (black can with copper coloured end bell) 

When your gool goes.... Try your 550rs...

I liked the durability, at low speed it's smooth... With a decent kick for top end trailing

I will try the rs next,its always good to have a variety of motors i think,3edd825344ec42da18faac14d5447250.jpgthat is the one in currently using,,ive found it to be mega smooth and the torque is brilliant,,ive dragged my xmaxx home from the beach with it,(about 10 mins solid walk)
Motor was a tiny bit walm but performed brilliantly,and it climbs almost vertical hills while the center of gravity is plantd, ive orderd a grc g2 motor and battery re locating kit for the trx also im exited to see how that performs 97815637d7382453dfe93865796c5f80.jpg697919b4d2bf505affb1624b4ebb7a25.jpg