• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sky RC Q200

vimto2000

Hey all, looking for the usual charger advice! 

http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=221

This one really appeals to me due to the modern nature of the charger and the extra features. Plus my LHS has told me he can do it for sub 160! 

However, my core requirements would be a quad charger, minimum 50 watts per channel and at least 2 with 100 like the above. Has to be AC with internal PSU (less gear and tidier to store.) reliability and a similar sort of budget. 

I have looked at the dynamite prophet charger 4 x 100 however that is too much  money but that would future proof my needs. Anything similar for my budget that is from a reputable company! 

The app and the PC connection are nice to have... However in reality I can't see myself using it too much. 

Thanks all in advance!! 

Definitely makes it more tempting!! 

Any suggestions on alternatives? 

I looked at the we airsoft quad charger.. As someone recommend it in another thread. Looks to be in same budget but can't find any specs on it at all!! 

What have you actually got to charge? I make do with two single chargers (300w and 50w) and a load of parallel boards myself. 

As for reliability/futureproofing an external psu is a better bet (less cost if something does die and more often than not psu's are the things that do die) and you can potentially connect multiple (lower cost) chargers to the one psu :) 

*edit*

according to linky the we charger is 4x50w

Edited by Ross9999992

You'll only get a total 200w over how ever many channels you use.

If batts are all the same (like mine all are) I run a single 1000w + 1500 psu and para boards.

What about the Prophet 4x100?

Actually just looked quick and they've gone up £70!!! WTH????!!!!!!

Myself (if you have room) would go separates for higher power stuff. Not a fan of the AC psu's in all in one's.

PSU from coolice:

http://www.coolice.co.uk/cfs/coolice-psu-s.html

and those 200w charger jobs from Robotbirds are still on offer (not tried one myself tho)

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/chargers-power-supply-leads/dc-only-chargers/b6-10amp-200w-super-multi-charger.html

Even hacking a xbox 205w psu (£20) + 2x 80w DC chargers running on it makes more sense these days for basic 2-4s.

Interested to know what these are like as well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UP120AC-DUO-240W-LiIo-LiPo-LiFe-Dual-Battery-Balance-Charger-for-RC-Drone-/372010701739?hash=item569d90d3ab:g:v2oAAOSwmNlZZh5h

Edited by dazp1976

If you're gonna go xbox psu then you may as well just get one of these.

Short 3 (or 4) of the pins on the front to power it up (and shut up the fan) and then you have yourself a nice cheap reliable 575w 12(.5)v psu :D 

(bonus points if you realise this is all the coolice ones are. Just don't go connecting them in series as that requires other mods).

Even though I'm seriously tempted with the sky RC as its a nice looking and compact package...  The idea of using a computer PSU is too tempting! 

Going to get a server PSU and a couple of high end PC PSU from work and see how that goes. 

Rather have something small as space is currently a premium! 

Bin off the nimh and go 2s :D 

But if you're liking the pc psu idea then go for it, this is the guide I followed when making the first couple I did.

It seems 4, 6, 8 and 10 are the actual pins to short for that particular psu. Couldn't check as i'm nowhere near mine but I did it with 3 servo connectors that I just glued together and only added wires to the relevant pins.

Those 200w chargers Daz linked to look like an absolute bargain if they are any good and you could run two of those per psu if you went that route.

Lol all in good time!! The NiMh are for my boys... 4 and 6...and even then... They are still a bit too nippy! 

I still like the idea of a quad charger purely to keep it all contained. Will have another look for quad DC chargers. 

Go the server route. Newer PC versions may need resistors on the 5v rail. Pita.

I had an old un-modded 350 running a Turnigy400w charger when I first started. I could pull 10A on 6s before psu went thermal (around 250w)

Upgraded to a 650w PC one and the 12v rail went bang after 5 mins pulling the exact same power I ran on the 350 for a year :huh: Needed a few resistors on the 5v to level it out but didn't know at the time.

That's when I decided to spend £260 on the 1000w Turnigy and Chargery S1500 :D

Got a new Reaktor 1000w as a back-up for £60 in April just in case :D

Edited by dazp1976

1 hour ago, vimto2000 said:

Lol all in good time!! The NiMh are for my boys... 4 and 6...and even then... They are still a bit too nippy! 

I still like the idea of a quad charger purely to keep it all contained. Will have another look for quad DC chargers. 

If you're only ever going 2-3-4s and no bigger you could always just get 2 of those 80w Overlander RC6-VSP ones. Some crop up on the bay from time to time.

Really only need to hit the 100w/channel mark if you go above 5000mah on a 4s or go up to 5-6s.

Stay away from anything that says 50w :puke:

Edited by dazp1976

Lol I'm feeling overwhelmed with the choices and options now.

I think these options are great but really overkill for what I need. Just wanted a tidy quick solution to charging my current batteries and with enough oomph if I upgrade the boys cars. In truth it will be a long time before i need more than a 50 watt charger. Only got two brushed Carnages and one brushless version!

Dazp - I like the idea of the overlander...as they are cheap!

Which brings me back full circle...I sell my UAC-50...invest the money and plump another 100 and get a tidy solution (SKYRC Q200) that charges 4 of my batteries without ticking off the Mrs! She might not notice a better charger...however she will notice a huge server PSU humming in the corner while she is watching Eastenders!

• Like 1

Will do! I think with the cashback and plus the extra insurance I paid...it should come in at around £115!

Will update this thread on my experience!

If I ever get round to turning the garage into a man cave rather than a storage dump then it might have been a more viable option.

On a side note... Charging cables.. Is 16awg adequate or should I only look at 14awg? 

Thanks

So first impressions..I like it a lot! 

Coming from the Core RC, I didn't expect this thing to run silently! So that was a pleasant surprise! I've only messed around with it a little and topped up my batteries. However, it seems straight forward as a normal 4 button charger.

The app looks nice and worked straight away. Time will tell if this is just a gimmick, or really useful. 

I didn't need to buy the extra charging cables, as I got 4 XT60 cables and 2 with no ends! So I've loped the ends off, and I now have 4 XT90 cables and 4 with Deans on them. I've also kept all the really useful cables from the Core RC like the glow plug charge and the crocodile clips to do my PB batteries!

Will see how it runs tomorrow, as taking the cars out with the kids. So, all going well..should have a fair few batteries to charge up! 

So far, I've used the charger about 4/5 times now! What a difference it makes charging your batteries 4 at a time rather than one after the other!

The fans do kick in when charging, but not constantly and not as loud as my CORE RC one...probably due to having bigger fans and two of them. 

The app is not bad actually. It is easier to set it all up from the charger, however it was a real doddle to set up all my batteries on each channel on the app.  I could do this when the charger was in the living room and I was in my bedroom directly above the charger! (no batteries were charging)!

Not tried the PC app yet...but not sure I will unless I have cause for concern on the batteries.

As is stands...the charger is well worth the money, I love that its compactish...and I can box it all away after use. Would I buy it again...definitely!

Time will tell how good its reliability is! But so far...thumbs up!