• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where do you usually buy your powerbank?

betty

China specials (assume actual capacity = 4000mAh to 10000mAh) not 2000000mAh

Got a solar charging add your own 5x18650 cells thing on the way to put some butchered laptop battery cells in as well :D 

Lipo to usb ftw though :thumbsup: (was gonna just diy one until I found this was a thing)

Hobbyking.

I added one to an order a while back since postage was high and cost low - since then I've got 3 more for other people who have been impressed with the performance and price. Is it really 10000mAh? - hard to say but its enough to fully charge a phone and a tablet PC at the same time so I'd say plenty. In any case it seems to use Turnigy cells that we happily use in other roles so I'd call it trust worthy. 

Sainsburys , i got my 10400mah powerbank from its a TP-link 

model number TP-PB10400

awesome little powerbank, has an led torch light , a 4 bar led battery charge indicator, and comes with two single output 5v usb sockets , uses 18650 batterys so no chance of a lipo fire or the risks encountered using a lipo powerbank.

5v @ 1amp

5v @ 2 amp 

its nice as you can either run the 2amp for things like ipads and likes or use the 1amp for things like your mobile phone or gopro to charge. price in sainsburys right now is £25  but i got mine when they were on offer for £15 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

You just need a reasonable 3s+ for that @evssv. Obvs if you can figure out what the peak A draw is while starting you can find something with a suitable spec but just stay over 200a to be safe :) 

Seems car jumpers are generally 400-600a mind :thumbsup:

Edited by Ross9999992

Not physically possible to fit that many mAh into that space :lol:

Seriously though a 3s and an xt60/xt90 to crocs is all you need, that is after all what will be inside those ebay ones.

At least if you pick the pack you know full well what spec you'll be using. If you want something to just leave in there then a storage charged 4s would probably cover you as an alternative :D 

If it's a '12v' batt your trying to jump, you'll need 4s....As the fully charged voltage of those on batts is 12.8 ish, but your running voltage is 14

Also, they'll only start a batt that's just dropped below crank voltage, they will not jump flat batts...

As for amp draw, 3-400a is what you need..

As Ross said, it's a well known fact that these ebay 'lipo jumpers' all give exaggerated mah claims

i stick with good old lead acid batterys. 

how do you explain to insurance the cause of the bike fire was a lithium ion battery installed on bike. and we all know even with todays tech lithium cells can still short out. and on a bike more likely to we dont have warning alarms or meters. plus our stators direct charge batterys, thats the full on 14v being fed to the battery at a certain rpm, there aint no safety features either ie samrt charge units etc etc. 

i will and always will install lead acid cells to bikes 

i do carry my 10400 powerbank to charge my phone and allow me longer satnav use ( satnav - location gps - data eats battery like a cupcake laced with hundreds and thousands )

3 minutes ago, Tamiyacowboy said:

i stick with good old lead acid batterys. 

how do you explain to insurance the cause of the bike fire was a lithium ion battery installed on bike. and we all know even with todays tech lithium cells can still short out. and on a bike more likely to we dont have warning alarms or meters. plus our stators direct charge batterys, thats the full on 14v being fed to the battery at a certain rpm, there aint no safety features either ie samrt charge units etc etc. 

i will and always will install lead acid cells to bikes 

i do carry my 10400 powerbank to charge my phone and allow me longer satnav use ( satnav - location gps - data eats battery like a cupcake laced with hundreds and thousands )

Valid point  dude :yes:...definitely  aint putting  a lipo  any were near my bikes :good:

3 minutes ago, evssv said:

Valid point  dude :yes:...definitely  aint putting  a lipo  any were near my bikes :good:

Fully understand your apprehension about lipos next to your fuel tank/under your backside...Thermal runaway on a batt placed here could cause some bad injuries/accidents.

As we all have RC Experience we can testify to the volitile nature of lipo/li-on in general...Although there are many different types of li-on...The technology is still playing catch up to the 100 years of development the p.b batt has had.

Final thought...

You won't have any choice to switch when they phase out pb batts..Ducati are already using them

22 minutes ago, evssv said:

how do you explain to insurance the cause of the bike fire was a lithium ion battery installed on bike. and we all know even with todays tech lithium cells can still short out. and on a bike more likely to we dont have warning alarms or meters

Hmm good point about insurance...

I'm unsure if this would be classed as a modification, I'm almost certain the insurer will claim it is.

Allthough as stated, if motorbike manufacturer provides a li-on OEM then it becomes the 'standard'

Also, say in the future, they stop making P.b batts then when your old P.b batt goes flat and you pop down to halfords (or other) to get a new one....It's been a few years...And now all they stock is lithium ion batts, it would be acceptable as a standard rather than a modification

until the batterys like lithium ion for bikes come with safety features built into them to adjust the voltage flow to them and regulate the current charge i will stick with pb. 

bike manufacturers should be building these failsafes into the main looms and fuse systems for the charging of batterys, but its adding cost and more things to the ehadache that is motorcycle electrics. 

i am hedging my bet on insurance to say its a mod and the reason why is they dont want to be paying out in the first case , most hold back on fire and theft payouts already or send the owner offers well below the insurance quoted when first taken out. and lets be fair if its a mod then they charge you more due to it being modded ie the insurance goes up and they get more money from us the poor biker. 

OEM installed yes i would say they have done the relevent tests to ensure the safe charging and discharge of the battery, we all know as bikers we jump on flick the go go button and the starter strains then dies, the lights dim then ficker and everything just goes dead, its then you probe the battery and find 2.2v and a knackered battery , mind you your still able to get the bike running but electrical wise like lamps - indicators and likes are somewhat hit an miss due to the need of that extra oomph the battery provides. 

i just hope the tech gets better but the bike scene catches up and devices come out that can take that direct 12-14v and saefly charge the battery, i know my little thumper produces upwards 200v direct from start to my regulator and my reg sends a 14v and 1.3a current to the battery, but if that reg fails my battery is hit with upwards 200v and a current upwards of 20-40a  when im hard on the beans 

On 2017/8/15 at 20:32, evssv said:

I've looked at getting one to jump start me motorbikes many times now:yes: but  can't  ever decide  which to get  as I read so many  conflicting  reviews I never bought one :rolleyes:.....I do really need one  though :yes:

Using a power bank to jump start motorbikes?

• Like 1