• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tedious diff leakage

Baja_Crazy

Hi all im getting rather bored with the problem of the diff leaking i only really noticed it after i got my TR diff case (over a year ago).

ive tried new diff cups and a whole new system. all different types of o rings and bearings but no matter what i do it seem to leak from the the drive cup area.

i normally run either 12K 15K and 20K oil sometimes a mix. im seriously considering trying Robs diff case. just to see if by some luck.. and money it may sort its self out.

http://www.innovative-rc.com/baja-di...lver-p-871.htm   

or even getting a vertigo locker. but im not sure if will start munching through drive line pieces and cups. also silly putty is another one
im really not sure what to do.

So if anyone has any thoughts and recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by Baja_Crazy

I tried IRC cups once for the Lightning stadium. Leaked like a sieve at the gasket so got rid :( 

Keep heating my plastic ones up causing shrinkage which made the gears tight inside.

C'est la vie.

http://www.innovative-rc.com/lightning-stadium-diff-case-black-p-210.html

Some people swear by green slime on the o-ring type seals?

Edited by dazp1976

23 minutes ago, super sharp shooter said:

just put in 500,000 in it 

thank you for the reply.

so i guess its a normal thing most people put up with which they solve by what your suggesting. i don't have any 500k around so i will place an order.

in the mean time if anyone has any other suggestions?    

3 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

I tried IRC cups once for the Lightning stadium. Leaked like a sieve at the gasket so got rid :( 

Keep heating my plastic ones up causing shrinkage which made the gears tight inside.

C'est la vie.

thank you for the reply.

that's good to know maybe the baja one doesn't suffer with the same problem. Maybe AJ can tune in on hows his IRC cups is holding up. 

i haven't tried green slime but ive tried multiple greases to help seal it up  red n tacky some Stihl  grease which is incredibly tacky and some Ford silicone grease which we use at work      

13 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

C'est la vie.

Green slime does the trick. Had a leak DBXL diff once but that was the gasket.

6 hours ago, .AJ. said:

I rebuilt my transmission the other day to fit BBRC gears and there was no sign of any leakage from my IRC case, I'm using 15k oil at the mo :good:

Sounds positive. what im thinking ill do is before i try anything else i will rebuild and pack both ends with hylomar for a last ditch attempt with the current oil  weight and let the o rings marinate in green slime 

then ill try 500K.

then if she still leaks i will pick up the cup from Rob. 

One last thing did you have to modify anything to fit the BB gear?

thank you for everyone's help regrading this frustrating problem i greatly appreciate.   

54 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Yep, I had to grind the inside of the diff gear, eventhough someone on here said it was a straight fit, it took me a good hour or so to get it right....

6BBC9A10-3528-4CBC-AD13-126A43382596_zps

E424D324-1700-44B8-88F1-E5F982CB74ED_zps

Ah i see im currently running DDM gears but i do have a full set of BB ones laying around somewhere.

thank you for the info and pictures. 

I personally wouldn't put a thick oil in a Baja diff, running really high oil or a diff locker for example, really takes it's toll on the drivetrain.

Your diff shouldn't leak, so there is obviously a problem there that needs addressing, rather than bandaging.

Double check every surface for little blemishes and such, it can be something as simple as a bit of dirt trapped in the gasket or something.

I've never had one leak personally, running anything from 1k to 20k oil.

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

I personally wouldn't put a thick oil in a Baja diff, running really high oil or a diff locker for example, really takes it's toll on the drivetrain.

Your diff shouldn't leak, so there is obviously a problem there that needs addressing, rather than bandaging.

Double check every surface for little blemishes and such, it can be something as simple as a bit of dirt trapped in the gasket or something.

I've never had one leak personally, running anything from 1k to 20k oil.

thank you for the reply. 

ive never had a problem of leaking from the case half's it seem to be just around the drive cups. i will have a good look for any defects and such when i rebuild it. i might try slightly larger o rings as well. it may be where the cups is getting to a certain temp and expanding therefore not sealing if you get my drift. 

im only thinking that due to me having the diff out standing upright on both sides for a over a week at a time each side and it didn't leak once.    

Just now, Baja_Crazy said:

thank you for the reply. 

ive never had a problem of leaking from the case half's it seem to be just around the drive cups. i will have a good look for any defects and such when i rebuild it. i might try slightly larger o rings as well. it may be where the cups is getting to a certain temp and expanding therefore not sealing if you get my drift. 

im only thinking that due to me having the diff out standing upright on both sides for a over a week at a time each side and it didn't leak once.    

I would just replace them with standard size, get some fresh washers and some green slime for the o rings.

You might get a bit of binding with bigger o rings to be honest.

The above suggestion should solve it if it's just the o rings.

O rings just sometimes crack or deform, so it might be as simple as that.

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

I would just replace them with standard size, get some fresh washers and some green slime for the o rings.

You might get a bit of binding with bigger o rings to be honest.

The above suggestion should solve it if it's just the o rings.

O rings just sometimes crack or deform, so it might be as simple as that.

okay will do ill try what you've suggested and see if no luck i will go try the others

everytime ive opened up the diff i replace the o rings (always use the ones that Rob does recently)    http://www.innovative-rc.com/baja-diff-rings-bag10-p-846.html

each time i replace them they look and feel like new.

13 minutes ago, Baja_Crazy said:

okay will do ill try what you've suggested and see if no luck i will go try the others

everytime ive opened up the diff i replace the o rings (always use the ones that Rob does recently)    http://www.innovative-rc.com/baja-diff-rings-bag10-p-846.html

each time i replace them they look and feel like new.

I use the stock orange ones myself, that might be your problem.

Some o rings are better for petrol based oil and some aren't, such as the shock o rings in HPI shocks, are more designed for there own petrol based shock oils, it's to make you buy there own product.

I would suggest trying a stock orange HPI o ring, just for argument sake and see what happens.

Edited by Oh How Original

9 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

I use the stock orange ones myself, that might be your problem.

Some o rings are better for petrol based oil and some aren't, such as the shock o rings in HPI shocks, are more designed for there own petrol based shock oils, it's to make you buy there own product.

I would suggest trying a stock orange HPI o ring, just for argument sake and see what happens.

you wouldn't happen to have the part Num for the orange ones? i can only find the black ones 

i do remember the first time i rebuilt the diff the orange ones which were in there were massive compared to ones i use now, they must of swelled up. 

Also have a great day  :hppybday: :ballons:

Edited by Baja_Crazy

2 hours ago, Baja_Crazy said:

you wouldn't happen to have the part Num for the orange ones? i can only find the black ones 

i do remember the first time i rebuilt the diff the orange ones which were in there were massive compared to ones i use now, they must of swelled up. 

Also have a great day  :hppybday: :ballons:

You can tell it's been a while since I bought any, it seems HPI have changed to black ones now, the last diff I built was my own, which had orange o rings in, assuming it was just an old stock kit when I bought it or something.

The part number for the 'official' HPI part is HPI 75078

That used to be orange, so those black ones must be right, unless of course, yours are for a silicone based oil and your diff oil is petrol based, or vice versa, it could be either swelling them up, or drying them out and cracking 'em.

For arguments sake I'd just try a rebuild, with those o rings and some green slime, just out of curiosity :) 

And cheers, it's a miserable day here unfortunately, so not doing much :lol: